The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: What is your simplest, most effective close up trick? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
I am not a professional but I do enjoy dabbling in a little magic now and again. I am aware that it is a subtle and difficult art to master. However, I have been looking for a handful of easy to do impromptu tricks. I have been doing some research and have just ordered Slomotion and was considering purchasing Shift. However, a fork is not always something that makes sense to just have with you. It would be a nice trick for dinner guest I guess..

I was curious what gimmicks you guys have come across that you found to be well crafted, easy to use, self contained tricks that someone who isn't the best at sleight of hand could perform at a moments notice. Don't let the price prevent you from giving a recommendation. I don't mind splurging on something that I could use to entertain friends over and over. Smile
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
There are varying definitions of "impromptu," but by my definition, anything that uses a true gimmick (and not just an improvisational one) isn't really impromptu. Are you just looking for things that can appear like there was no preparation? Because like you said, if you have to carry a fork around, that looks neither natural nor magical.

I'd browse the "New to Magic" thread for some good suggestions:

My recommendation is that you learn some simple sleight of hand. You say you're not the best at sleight of hand, but is that because of a physical limitation or because you just haven't found the time to become better? Not trying to be harsh, just trying to figure out what might work for you to help you entertain your friends.

A book like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic would be an excellent start for you since it discusses many simple tricks which are highly effective and are not difficult. It has coins, cards, balls, silverware, etc. And, it's only $15 or so! Check it out and let us know what you think. You really can't go wrong!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Magic Stop Light Cards and Buddha Money Papers are two strong effects that I give to my students. Floating Match Card is the 3rd. Do these and gain some confidence to encourage your growth in the craft.
R2
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
The Invisible Hole always gets great reactions followed by Vanni Bossi's pen thru
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Chad Long's FLASH drive trick
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Borrow a shiny coin. Perform a Retention Vanish.
or
Use a combination of half dollar, expanded half dollar shell, & flipper half dollar to perform a combination of engaging effects. First, read Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.
or
McBride's Magic Wishing Rainbow.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
My own version of torn and restored post it note. I drew inspiration from Osterlind.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Brad12d3
Are you in the U.S.?

Also, what do you normally have on your person?

Where are you likely to be entertaining friends and what items you may use might be available?
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Hey thanks for the responses everyone! I actually wrote a response to this thread a couple of days ago, but I guess it didn't post for some reason. Dr. JK,... you are not being harsh by a long shot. To answer your question, I (thankfully) have been staying very busy in video production lately, which is my primary profession. However, my other love apart from video production is magic, and has been since I was a kid. I like to have little tricks I can do for friends/family out of the blue for fun. I really enjoy it, but don't have the time to really become as proficient at it. However, I would like to take the time to learn some good sleight of hand moves. I envy you guys that can do advanced coin magic so well and so flawlessly. It really is a sight to behold! I would love to to learn some more advanced techniques, but I don't have the time to wade through a ton of books and DVDs to find the best ones,.. so any recommendations are welcome.

I am going to research some of the recommendations you guys have posted so far.

So far, this it was I am playing around with. I have an expanded quarter dollar shell that I use to do a basic transportation routine, I have a penny shell with an insert that has a dime on one side and the other side of the penny on the other. I use it to make a dime disappear sandwiched between two pennies in a spectators hand. I also recently purchased Slomotion, which includes a very very clever gimmick. I also will be receiving Shift the bending fork today. I will be creating my own videos of the latter two to show to the other members on the forum to give the a better idea of how good these effects are. Such as how noisy they are and how accurate their descriptions are as far as temperature reactions, ect..

Thanks again for your help. This really is a great community.

Jaz... I do live in the US, I am Dallas,TX to be exact. Anybody know any good dealers here? I usually have coin change on me, which is why I am very interested in getting better at coin magic.

Ms. Merizing... where can I learn the retention vanish... book/dvd?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
-Spare Change by David Acer - Non-locking dime and penny.
-Double X Rating Pen - dime, penny and pen.
-Misled by Timothy Wenk - pencil & bill.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Paddle move with a borrowed lighter. Gets great reactions!
dukun
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dukun
Coin bending with borrowed coin..

cheers
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
C**** M*** H********

Mike
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 12:12, brad12d3 wrote: Ms. Merizing... where can I learn the retention vanish... book/dvd?

Sent you a PM.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Also sent a PM regarding Dallas shops.
mellanp
View Profile
New user
Scranton, Pa.
59 Posts

Profile of mellanp
Try Steve Dusheck's Lethal Tender. It is very easy to do and the gimmick is utterly ingenious. It is also coin magic that happens in a spectator's hand.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Cold reading is certainly not difficult but takes some practice just by doing it. You carry nothing but your voice.

Decomposed Smile
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Can you tell me where I can learn cold reading?
thanks
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Alaska?
Mystic Sleights
View Profile
New user
Michigan
15 Posts

Profile of Mystic Sleights
I always keep extreme burn with me. That blows people away! From that you could go into a simple coin vanish routine.