The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Best thumb tip book or video? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Which resources do you think are best to teach the proper use of a thumb tip and that have the most powerful effects?
thanks, landmark
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
101 Tricks with a Thumb Tip Booklet has lots of ideas in it and the price is right ($2.95)!

If I remember correctly it does have a subtlety that IMHO makes the thumb tip very deceptive... In fact, as you put it, this subtlety is what I call proper use of the thumb tip.

Good Luck! Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
25 tricks with a thumb tip video, that's the way to go.
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
I would say Rules of thumb video series and if you speak french get the vid on the Faux Pouce by Gaetan Bloom. As usual it's a must.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
I have "Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page" tape that deals with thumb tips. It has 30 effects and routines using a tt. It was only $20 at my magic shop and I recommend it.
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
87 Posts

Profile of dave s
I have heard good things about Gary Darwin's work on the thumb tip. Has anyone actually read/seen this. Please let me know...
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I also recommend Rules of Thumb. Not only does it teach nuances to eliminate tells, but also explains handlings that make sense. Steve Valentine has a nice vanished silk from sleeve or tie routine where a silk is vanished and appears, then repeated and found in the spectator's sleeve or tie. It's very good. I believe that's on video 1.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Another vote for Rules of Thumb.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
ksalaz1
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of ksalaz1
101 tricks with a thumbtip is good for a start.
"Master of the Obvious"
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
Dave s
I have Gary Darwin`s Thumb Tip Thinking. 25 tricks
Its a great book with lots of Illustrations.
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
I have found Darwins books are great. He also offers
different types of tips( oops a punny Smile ).Not all tips are created equal!

Phil
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
The Patric Page Tape from L&L and the 101 Tricks book (check out trick number 102).
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Patrick Page.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
microastro
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of microastro
My vote goes to Rule of thumb.. I have the # 1 and looking for number 2. I think # 2 is going to come out on DVD so they tell me.
microastro
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Patrick Page is the best I've seen for overall variety of solid technique. The only problem with most thumb tip books and vids I've seen it that most are stuck in the rut of using the thumb to steal the tip. I almost never use my thumb and can get away with far more natural moves without any rush and literally right under their noses. Not that what I do is so stupifyingly unique...its simply that I don't see why the resources out there don't expand on technique along similar lines. The nice thing about the Page tape is that he provides several ways to avoid showing the tt that are better than the old "keep your thumb pointed at the audience" ploy. In The Magic of Michael Ammar there is a chapter called Thumbtip Finesse where he demonstrates some handling that is more natural than the old "dip the thumb in the well" move. It is thought provoking and is what prompted me to think about it further and get to the point where I almost never use the thumb at all. I have not seen the Rules of Thumb tapes but if they include aspects as described by Mike Walton, above, then I'll have to put those on my wish list.
Nicholas
Totof
View Profile
New user
Belgium
72 Posts

Profile of Totof
Salvano has also some very good booklets on TT. Even with a fluo TT, you never see it.
TheMagicApple
View Profile
New user
The Magic Apple
8 Posts

Profile of TheMagicApple
101 Tricks and the 25 Tricks with a TT are great starts! The books is a measley $2.95 and the video or DVD are like $10!
The Magic Apple
818-508-9921
trainspotter
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of trainspotter
Has anyone got Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=912
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2004-12-03 07:28, trainspotter wrote:
Has anyone got Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=912

Look under 'Dvd, Video, Audio tapes & Compact discs.' for string 'Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic ...'
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
TaylorTheGreat
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of TaylorTheGreat
Do any of you have your tt's made specially? if so, are they worth the price?
I'm curious.
-Taylor M