The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Any "Pointers" on the Pointing Transfer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
laidback
View Profile
New user
NJ
51 Posts

Profile of laidback
Many of you I'm sure are familiar with Gregory Wilson's impromptu effect "3/4 Across".

I'm having trouble making the pointing transfer look convincing. Either that, or it may just be that I can no longer see the illusion since I know how it's done.

I'm tempted to misdirect at the moment I do the transfer, maybe just quick eye-contact. But somehow it doesn't make sense to point at the same time I try to get them to NOT look.

Anyone else have issues with this? Any tips to make this easier for me? And specifically, do you use your thumb + first finger, or just first finger? I'm not sure which looks cleaner.

Please PM anything you're not comfortable posting on this public forum.

Thanks!
-Steve
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I know exactly how you feel about doing this move -- its a bold one. I usually cover with a big movement like rotating my hand to display the coin/s & that generally works for me, I guess you could say its more of an 'implied' misdirection with a large move covering the actual move transfer.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
rezamalek
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of rezamalek
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I use this move for a coins across I do, and have never been called out on it.

Just let the momentum of your hand turning over do most of the work.

And yes, that fact that you know the method does tend to make it seem less convincing to yourself.

Scrutinize yourself doing it in front of the mirror and see if you can trick your own eyes.

Also try ACTUALLY pointing at a coin in your in the same fashion as the pointing transfer, and working on making the real one and the false one look identical.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I also do this move for a different coins across. I always think I'm going to get busted at it too. I haven't yet and after I perform the sleight it amazes me that they just don't see it when you perform it correctly.
I time it so that when I'm getting ready to point transfer the recieving hand doesn't turn palm up until the pointing finger has begun it's placement.
If you have Revolutionary Coin Magic by Jay Sankey, he teaches it pretty good. I don't have Greg Wilson's video yet though.
Hope that helps.
Mark