The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Matchbooks (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
What are some effects with a book of paper matches?

Thanks.

Matt
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
What's funny is I was thinking about a 'match routine' the other day...

"Electric Match"— a match is torn out of a matchbook, lit, blown out and 'thrown' back into the book. Very nice little effect and plenty strong.

"Relit Match"— a 'burnt' match is relit (this one's from a recent Genii or Magic, have to go look up the issue).

Others?
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Vanish of a lit match with TT.
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
The Skinner Routine is the most magic that a book of matches could evoke. Of course this is my opinion, and I could be wrong.
It's Fun to be Fooled
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
A signed coin appears inside the flap of the book of matches. You can feel it inside and you have to tear it to get the coin out of it.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Mago, I had a cheap version of the gimmick that caused me some headaches in performing it. Do you perform this regularly?
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Are there any other references for the Skinner routine besides the Malone video? Is it written up anywhere?
Eschew obfuscation
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Mago,
You knew someone would ask this, but where can I find that coin in cover effect?

Thanks!
chajodawg
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of chajodawg
Hey there,

Anybody seen that folding bill to matchbook on Oz's site? What is that called? Fools me every time I watch it, and I bet it is easy too...haha.
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Timothy:
I don't know if this is the one Mago uses, but L&L sells a trick called "Fire Trap" for $10 that Doug Henning did on The Tonight Show.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Does anyone know where I can get this trick off the net? Thanks.
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Which trick are you talking about, bubba boy?

The coin to matchbook ("Firetrap") can be purchased online at http://llpub.com/

Just do a search there for the name of the trick. $10 and free shipping.
Eschew obfuscation
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
Jay Sankey's Secret Files have a couple of really good matchbook tricks. I don't use them though.
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I have seen color changing matches. It is extremely impromptu and very visual. Matches change from brown to black.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I do a really neat effect where the matches are counted and one is removed, lit and vanishes only to reappear back in the book burnt and attached like the others. They can be recounted if you choose and it's the same. I follow it up by pulling out two unlit matches, set one down and use the other to burn all the matches left while still in the book. Close the book to put out the fire and the other unlit match vanishes and reappears in the book unharmed.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Dennis
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Dennis
Somewhere a while ago I read of an effect where you balance a match on a matchbook, cover them with a glass, you concentrate and the match falls off.

Does anyone know this effect and where it can be found?

:bluebikes:
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Travelling Match.
Daniel Faith
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
Check out WatchMagic.com ... Oz Pearlman does an effect called Matches where he turns a dollar into a book of matches. It's in the video section. After watching it for a while you can figure out how it is performed, or at least I did (after which I just made it). Smile
Viper42
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Viper42
Bill Malone has one on Vol. 4 of his On The Loose DVD series. I don't recall the name but I think it was based on a Skinner routine.
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
The trick with the signed initialed coin being found WITHIN the fibers of the matchbook can be found on Michael Ammars "The Exciting World of Magic" DVD. I believe it is called "Trapped" and was performed by Doug Henning on The Tonight Show. It is a wonderful trick and not very difficult.
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."