The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Best trick to do on a seconds notice? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
I am sure this has been asked 500 times and answered but I am asking again. I work in an area where quite a few folks know me. I am in sales and a lot of the people I meet with say, aren't you a magician or something ? I politely say I know a thing or two and then I am always asked to "do" something. I wear dress casual clothes so only small items can be carried. I always carry a TT with some sweet and low. I usually have an invisible deck and occasionally a stripper(deck Smile ). I do ambitious and daleys last trick and some others. Card tricks are a given but what else besides cards would you have ALL the time with you ? Scotch@soda ? Packet tricks ? I am just curious what others may think would be good to carry ?
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
228 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
You can never go wrong with Color Monte.

Get yourself a copper/silver coin with matching half dollar and learn Mark Jenest's Short Hop.

A quick sponge ball or bunny routine for the ladies.

Doc Eason's "NUTS" trick is a winner.

Since you carry a TT with you all the time learn a good bill switch and borrow a $20 and turn it into 2 $10's and give it back.

Since you are in sales learn to do some effects with your business cards. These type of effects are best because these business cards rarely ever get thrown away and that right there is half the battle.

Hope that helps a little. PM me if you need more help.

Doug
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Love the idea with the TT, I have never made change. Great !!! I do the flip,I don't know whos idea sorry, where you show it blank on both sides and then print it. That does work well. I like that one. I will check out short hop. Thanks Doug

Donkeys and Waffles aka Gage
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Seeing that you are in sales, and providing you have at least 26 other companies that sell a similar product then a PHIL deck is a must for a salesman.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
My vote goes to "NeverMind" by Jon Maronge. Packs small and plays big!! Also, no worries of getting caught, as the effect pretty much works itself. My fiance kept asking me last night to perform something for her friends that were over, I was not in the Magic mood and was getting very ticked off each time she asked me to grab my cards. I thought of the easiest effect I had (so I would not have to work) that would give the biggest impact. I snatched "NeverMind", and in a couple of minutes I had them talkin about me. Next thing I knew I was in-front of my TV watching my UFC fights with no one bothering me.

Paul
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
I have recently become very fond of Tyler Wilson's Finger Bang. Borrow a person's finger ring, take a rubber band, link the two items together. Their finger ring is clearly seen linked to the rubber band and slides back and forth in a very clean manner. Unlink them and hand everything out for examination. No gimmicks. Just carry a rubber band or borrow it along with the ring.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Midway
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Midway
You could always do the Wonderland bill. All it takes is adding one more bill to your wallet.
nikyas
View Profile
Loyal user
Kuala Lumpur
207 Posts

Profile of nikyas
Expanded shell coin

You can do any coin transpo/across. Always a killer
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
TOOTING MY OWN HORN Breakaway bracelet you put a rubberband around a spectators wrist then is a flash you break the band off the wrist and of course the band is un harmmed
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
If you carry or wear a finger ring, you cannot go wrong with Garrett Thomas' The Ring Thing. Presented properly it can be the single trick that people will always remember. My two cents Smile
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Never was impressed with the Ring Thing. More of a stunt than magic in my opinion. Even saw Garrett perform this live and I thought it seemed more of a stunt.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3077 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hi Gage,

First, I think Donkey & Waffles would be a great name for a band or a pub. Or both.

Second, I personally wouldn't carry anything that would be unusual for a normal person to carry. Example: why would you openly carry Sweet & Low with you? If you're in a restaurant, then using the sweetener on the table is great, but otherwise, I wouldn't. And a deck of cards? Isn't this supposed to look impromptu?

I would recommend performance material that uses nothing more the money in your pockets (real-looking money, not silver dollars that only magicians carry), your keys, business cards, borrowed objects, and the office supplies or other items that are part of your environment. By sticking to these limitations, the magic you perform will be more casual and feel less contrived. You don't want to look like you carry all kinds of stuff with you, just dying for somebody to ask you to do a trick. Do you?

Possibilities: the aforementioned $100 Bill Switch, Wilson's key version of C&S, OTL with biz cards, Eugene's Last Dollar, T&R biz card, Stuck (use a borrowed coin), Prohibition, Ambitious biz card (have the back of one signed and you're off to the races), coin or bill under the watch, a watch steal, and so on.

One exception: if you're the kind of person who can be expected to be carrying around a mystical object on your person in your everyday life, you can use that too. But that doesn't mean sponge balls. For example, it could be an unapologetically antique coin -- but it had better be examinable at the end, because there will be a ton of heat on it.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
On the contrary, if you are percieved as being a magician by the public then you would indeed be carrying around a deck of cards and other effects, like myself. I don't look like I am dying to show someone a trick. I pay good money for my effects, and I want to get the best use out of all of them. Its still impromptu magic. Anyway, to perform prohibition would mean carrying around a beer bottle at work.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Stigmata
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I'm always ready with Daniel Garcia's "Fraud." It's an easy winner anytime.

Dan.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I used to perform Prohibition a fair bit at work using a borrowed water bottle and paperclip. Some other quick favorites that I used when I was in sales include Die-Ciefer, Quadraflex, Black&White Surprise and a coupple of fun rope routines.

Dan.
jon_maronge
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of jon_maronge
With so many good effects out there, it's really hard for me to narrow one down. I like promise kept by dave mitchell. I also like stigmata, brass silver copper transpo (johnson's), nailed by jay sankey (well, almost anything by jay) and revolver ( I can't help it if I like oldies)

Jon
jon_maronge
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of jon_maronge
Oh you said a seconds notice. oops.. but I regularly have one or a few of those things on me at a time.
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
The Phoenix Effect from Jay Sankeys Front Row Sankey. I do it with a borrowed deck and carry some flash paper in my wallet. Also some single gimmick cards for some tricks - spongeballs - paperclipped card for Osterlind s Card Inside Out. That way I'm always ready to go. Oh and a thumbtip and sharpie in my pockets.
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Crazy mans hands cuffs and pinnacle always plays well,combined with interlace I would imagine leave them speechless!
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!