The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Sometimes.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I just don't feel like performing. I always get this introduction:

"This is Anthony. He's a magician. Go on, Anthony, show them something"

What do you guys do?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Ask them "If I was a proctologist, would you drop your pants and jump up on the table and ask me to examine you here?". That usually explains it with a visual as well as a good example that they will not forget. Many merely assume that if you are a magician, then you must love to do it all the time. There are times when you can explain that as you perform for money and it is your job....which sometimes will get the point across too but I have actually had someone pay me for the time after that.

If you are at a party and have had a drink you can always explain that you don't like to work after you have been drinking OR you can always invite them to your next show where they will see you in much better form.

Sometimes you just have to judge if you should do something or not as it can be beneficial even if you don't really want to do something.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
If it's a friend who is making the introduction and request, then ask him not to put you on the spot for a command performance. As a pal, he should get the idea. On the other hand, what is usually more common, is you get introduced as a magician, and then people say, "Really? Can you show us something?"

This is an awkward situation. A response is to ask them their occupation, then request a little demonstration ("So you're an accountant? Could you balance my checkbook for me?")

However, the reason people ask us to perform is, face it, our jobs are more interesting than their job. Also, since we perform, it is natural for them to ask to see a little demonstration.

Natural doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to ask, and often there is a big difference between someone being rude and simple being excited about seeing a little magic.

If you don't want to perform, tell them you're flattered, but you're not prepared, are tired, or not in the mood. Explaining it's your job can work, and it certainly makes sense, but I only use it with really clueless strangers. With friends, or friends of friends, I've found something other than the financial explanation is better in a social situation.

The other option is to have some small trick ready, and make sure it ends with a business card. This can be prefaced by, "Normally, I only do magic when I'm actually working. But this is a special case. For you, I'm breaking my own rule, and doing something I don't do for others." Not only does this get your point across, it makes them feel like won't ask for a second trick, after being told you're going out of your way for the first.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Kolossal Killer or Bent Cent. Short, to the point, easy to carry, and both slay them on the spot without wasting a lot of time.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
The first thing I do is ask to borrow a hundred dollar bill. If no one comes up with one then I tell everyone that I need a hundred dollar bill to perform this trick. If someone comes up with one I take it and put it in my pocket and tell everyone to be sure to thank that person for providing the entertainment for the night. Then I do a rubber band trick and try and get the conversation off the fact that I am a magician.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
If someone does that I immediately proceed to punch them in their face. That's right, RIGHT IN THEIR FACE! A little crude, but it gets the job done.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.