The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Impromptu manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
Hello everybody!

During the last couple of weeks I watched a lot of videos of "the great guys" like Slydini and Fred Kaps just to mention two.
And during a couple of sequences they did some great manipulation stuff, but not only with coins and cards but with cigarettes, sugar cubes/packets, pens or any other "everyday objects". I'm not talking about the "show off" kind of manipulation but rather about little vanishing/reappearing/multiplying kind of routines.

So I was wondering if there are any books and/or DVDs out there that deal with this kind of magic or manipulation?

Thanks a lot!
bye
Nic
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Keith Clark's "Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks" is an oldr book but has lot's of stuff.

Quentin Reynolds' "Five Minutes With A Pocket Handkerchief DVD".

The site "Lighter Tricks" may help.

The "Pentrix" site might also interest you.

There are many coin books and vids that explain productions, vanishes, multiplications, etc. Try the site:
http://www.coinmanipulation.com/Coin/Home.html
and http://coinvanish.com/
Go to Coin Vanish's foundations page and click on "What DVD/videos should a beginner buy?" to compare three videos by Roth, Ammar and Stone.

To my knowledge there is no one source for pens, sugar and many other everyday objects. Dan Harlan, Tom Mullica, Gregory Wilson, Martin Gardner and others all offer magic resources for impromptu magic.

Good luck.
Hope this helps a little.
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
Thanks a lot for your help!
I'll keep an eye for the Keith Clark book.
And I guess I'll give Bill Tarr's "Now you see it now you don't" a shot. Sounds like it covers quite some different objects. We'll see.

bye
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Jaz, your link to pentrix actually leads to the other site, lighter tricks. The correct link is http://www.pentrix.com .
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 22:10, clynim wrote:
Jaz, your link to pentrix actually leads to the other site, lighter tricks. The correct link is http://www.pentrix.com .

Oops!
Thanks clynim.
Nice of you to correct that.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Nicd,
You will love the "Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr. I also suggest Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. He will finish up what Bill Tarr starts. Have fun and practice!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
New user
sInGaPoRe
98 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
Nicd,

Once you finish Mark Wilson's Course, you should get Tarbell Course In Magic. Get the whole set. It's a must for every magician.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Well said, David. The Tarbell Course is required reading if you are going to take magic seriously. The drawings and terminology are dated, but try and get past that: Because the ideas you can glean are fantastic!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 14:08, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Well said, David. The Tarbell Course is required reading if you are going to take magic seriously. The drawings and terminology are dated, but try and get past that: Because the ideas you can glean are fantastic!

Althought the drawings are dated as far as clothing and hair styles are concerned, they are actually very clear and easy to follow, more so than a lot of photographs I have seen. Harlan Tarbell was a terrific illustrator.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I am always on the lookout for single ball routines or just less conventional manipulation routines. I am very happy with a recent purchase of the Jerry Andrus Lifetime of Magic series. Zone Zero, Mylar Mystery, perfect package, accupressure, and temporary oblivion are all great "ball effects". I would love to sit and pick his brain, he has a very unique way of thinking, and it is reflected in his magic. You can see demos of these effects in the demos of each video at:
http://mymagic.com/andrus.htm

Some of these are not impromptu (only because they have props), but more improtantly you take away a new creative edge from these videos, and can make your own effects.

Matt
Aim To Amaze