The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Card Man Transition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
116 Posts

Profile of vago
Hi,

I am doing card & mentalism magic.
I know one rope routine.

What should I learn - specific routines that you recommend.
In order to perform a no props party magic.

I ask this since I often come unprepared to a party and people will ask for a short show 10-15 min.
This last weekend I wanted to perform for a bunch of family kids and noticed I didn't have anything I could do except a few coin tricks and a torn & resrtored napkin.

So... you get the point.
Any routines with no props or things you can easily find at a party.
try aiming at the lower ages.

Thx
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Would you consider gimmicks or not?

What would be helpful would be for to know what objects you expect to find at the party.
Is it a plastic cup, paper plate and napkinor glassware and cloth napkins party?

How old are those "lower ages"?

At the last party I was at the oldest kid was about eleven and the rest around six years old.
I sat on the couch and some of the kids sat next to me and on the floor in front of me.
What I brought was a metal washer, a half dollar, some elastics.
I kept them busy with some Spellbound and Sylvester Pitch w/ washer and half $.
CMH, Traveling Cash, Broke and Restored w/ elastics. There was nothing formal about it and it was fun.

The old classic glass thru the table works.
Add a handkerchief or cloth napkin and you can do impromptu zombie w/ a fork and bread roll, Coin, knife, etc, thru Hanky, knots, penetrations.

Good luck. Have fun.
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
116 Posts

Profile of vago
Nice idea's Jaz.

You're right on the money.
The ages I'm talking about are 5-10.
gimmicks I do not like but impromptu gimmicks are considerable (as the impromptu zombie you mentioned).
Could you mention the origins of your suggestions (except Spellbound) so I can look it up.

Thx
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Elastic tricks can be found in works by Dan Harlan and Joe Rindfleisch. Both visit the Café'.
I learned the Sylvester Pitch from one of Greg Wilson's vids. A Café' search should help here.

The glass thru the table is where a coin is placed on the table.
A glass is then placed mouth down over the coin and covered w/ paper napkin.
The coin don't vanish as it's supposed to but the glass penetrates the table.

This, as well as most of the others I mentioned, can be found in Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic".

Other sources are Karl Fulve's "Self-Working Table Magic" and "Self-Working Hankerchief Magic".

Both of these will give you tons of tricks for impromptu magic.

I forgot to mention that I did have a TT. I found a uninflated balloon and stuffed it in the TT. I pretended to be chewing gum, produced the balloon from my mouth and blew it up. Kids love to see things come out of your mouth, ears, etc.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Sylvester pitch is taught in volume 2 of greg wilson's on the spot.

why not perform arm twisting illusion? or try yedid's finger fantasie?.