The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Using Magic To Meet Females :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Be myself?

Who else would I be?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I think that everyone does things, sometimes, that appear to be out-of-character.

A few examples: Sean Connery in a Hawaiian shirt and flipflops, minus a toupee, singing karaoke badly in a French bar - the news photos completely blew his persona! Jasmine Bleeth (of Baywatch fame) has a mugshot on file from her coke possesion bust in Detroit - she looks downright hideous in the photo!

The point is that if someone doesn't understand how they are perceived by others, they can do things that will really turn-off an audience. Sure, no one is perfect at it. But, I certainly won't experiment much in my paid shows because I stick to what works. I save the experiments for the magic club and free charity events.
truellusionist
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA
36 Posts

Profile of truellusionist
Hey, just thought I would join in on the fun! This is quite an interesting topic. Well, I don't meet any ladies by doing magic. Although, I do know that doing sleight of hand with Hershey kisses is a great way to do it (what more can can you ask for) sponge-balls are excellent as well.

Make sure that whatever effect(s) you do are short and astonishing but not confusing. Like many others have posted, there has to be more to it than just the magic!
Smile
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
I'm new to magic so.. What is "Baffling Bra" or the "Magic Ding Dong"?

A way to approach a woman if she lost her lighter and has a "cigarette", is you can open your "fire wallet".. Just try not to burn her hairs, it would not be really nice Smile

Seriously, you could offer her a "cigarette" in an empty pack, then make the "cigarette" appear in it. But well, I don't want to be with a girl who smokes.. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Just about any large online magic shop will have a brief description of the effects.

As for lighting a lady's cig, I recommend one of those gimmicks for producing a lit match from behind your lapel or under the bottom edge of your jacket. At least you won't scare her by approaching her face with a "cauldron" of fire! LOL!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I recall a similar post on another forum board, and I will stand by my posts there. Women look at magic differently than men (I know I do). I think the first thing I did at my first Desert Magic Seminar was to buy the T-shirt.."Please-DON'T show me another card trick!"

I love magic, so saying that lady magicians are not impressed is hogwash! We just see it differently.You can take the same effect, and present it differently for male or female audiences, and get different reactions (ask any Bizzarrist about presentation).

Timing and presentation: there you are, on a date or out to dinner, and the little candle has gone out! I reach across to his lapel (that I set up earlier when he was not paying attention...) and pull the match, saying something about how handy he is to have around at times like this.... light the candle, and have a great evening. (And he pays for dinner!)
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Black Magic
View Profile
New user
New Orleans, La
87 Posts

Profile of Black Magic
One who uses magic to "get the girls" in my opinion is a loser. You should be yourself. Magic is not who you are, it's just a talent. Smile
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
When I began learning magic, I did not do it to meet ladies. In fact, I still don't, but surely you must realise that it's a great way to impress a lady. And surely magic IS part of who you are: it gives people confidence and dexterity and a logical mind; magic can't help but influence our lifes.

Whilst I agree in principle (I have an image of some dodgy old magician trying to chat up a young lady with a card trick), I would also have to say that it's a great ice breaker!

Use magic to meet woman, then be yourself when you get talking. There, that's a compromise!

Smile
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
Magic is a great icebreaker. Especially for the shy ones. It just gives you an "in." It's better than a pick-up line any day. And a great trick for the ladies, if you're bold enough to use it, is Paul Harris' "Hey there, Babycakes!" It's a nice card trick and they are left with your name and number on the playing card.
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
As Rodney Dangerfield put it, "looks are good for five minutes". I feel the same is true of magic. It's a great ice breaker but after the first five minutes the rest is up to your nonmagic personality.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
I agree with blackmagic and phonic 69, it might be the ice breaker, but that's not what magic is for. Smile Smile
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Concur with the five billion previous posters who brought up mentalism. Also, in my experience, for a female lay audience, the "in their hands" distinction is magnified at least double. Doc Daley's last trick, or Between the Palms seems to play better to women specifically, while strictly visual effects, like Twisting the Aces, are not really gender-specific in the degree of their appeal. Now, in the low-rent districts where women don't slap you, you can always offer to demonstrate your double-lift...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I bought a set of sculpted sponge rabbits from Norm Nielson. They look kind of like the marshmallow peeps you see at Easter. It is a great effect for girls. Also, I have used Bob Knigge's mini-pearl routine. It gives the girl something to remember you by.
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
How did our dear David Copperfield comment this: The magic is YOU!

But anyway the sponge rabbits never fail! Smile
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Magic is absolutely great for meeting females, when I'm performing at clubs etc., it's perfect as it is a genuine reason to approach and talk to them and you can have them eating out of your hand with the right approach. I agree sponge balls and multiplying rabbits seem to be a winner.
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
That is what I said: not a winner; the winner (says my girlfriend) Smile
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
Indyfan
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
173 Posts

Profile of Indyfan
From my experience, I've found that magic isn't that great for "picking them up", but it is great to give them something to remember you by. I've shown a couple tricks to some ladies in a bar, and I soon leave their table. 2 hours later, they may walk by me, or I may pass them, and they start talking to me!

Another recent example...I showed some tricks to a bunch of people about a year ago at a company party. One girl was there with her father, whom I knew through work. Unfortunately her father passed away recently, and I attended the funeral & wake. At the wake, his daughter showed up, and as she was going around getting hugs & listening to people offering their condolensces, she eyed me, and said "hey, the card guy".

So, magic may or may not be a good thing to use to pick up women, but it is a good way to let people remember you. From then on, it's up to you.
Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
It is so interesting hearing what the ladies have to say on the subject. Thanks for the female perspective.