The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: When you are asked to do a trick (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mik-Kado
View Profile
New user
Antwerp, Belgium
36 Posts

Profile of Mik-Kado
When I get the question: "What's your favourite activity to spend free time", I answer (doh): "doing magic etc."

When they ask to do something, my reaction depends of the mood where I am in...
If I wanna show something, mostly I'll do the CMH & Linking rubberbands. Simple objects with a HUGE reaction...

But mostly I refuse and say: "when my answer was 'fishing', then you would probably not ask to show you how I catch a fish..." Smile
I only do magic on request when I am in the mood... ;-)
Live your most beautiful life.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I agree that one shouldn't feel obliged to do magic on request. But I also feel (just my opinion) that that doesn't mean I need to say something that is going to make me appear rude or sarcastic to the other person. "Maybe another time" is really all you need to say...
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The only items I will have with me 100% of the time are my espionage wallet, a TT loaded for the hundred dollar bill switch, an empty TT and my QB2 and a sharpie. The wallet is loaded with blank business cards, a bug writer, First Hand, Heirloom and Guess who. That gives me a lot of flexibility when I'm asked to do a trick.

If I go somewhere expecting to be asked to do tricks I may also have a deck of cards, extractor and shoet (unless I'm wearing trainers). I usually have a couple of red and blue twilight angels gaffs in my wallet and a DB of each colour. Go to effects are coin bend, $100 bill switch and if I have cards C2W or Twilight Angels. Depends if I'm going to do a single trick or whether I want to perform for beer Smile
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
One of the following
Pressure by Daniel Garcia
Magicians Choice (pick one of five)
Slop shuffle Triumph
Invisible Deck (I do this less and less, trying to move away from packet tricks)
Erdnase color change

And if I have some time;
Out of this world

And if I am feeling confident and have had the time to warm up
ACR (Oz Pearlmans handling)
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Quote:
On 2012-09-24 17:08, S2000magician wrote:
One option (I see that Adam1975 beat me to it) is to decline.

John Bannon, as a well-known example, espouses this approach. (Yes, there's more to it than that, but that's still his default response.)

I read that in Dear Mr. Fantasy, however I have a problem with that. Mr. Bannon has a day job. Everytime Im asked to see something its an audition, so I show them a very strong and quick effect. Often its an ace production from a shuffled deck and doctor jacob dailys last trick.

Billy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 17:11, Billy-one wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-24 17:08, S2000magician wrote:
One option (I see that Adam1975 beat me to it) is to decline.

John Bannon, as a well-known example, espouses this approach. (Yes, there's more to it than that, but that's still his default response.)

I read that in Dear Mr. Fantasy, however I have a problem with that. Mr. Bannon has a day job. Everytime Im asked to see something its an audition, so I show them a very strong and quick effect. Often its an ace production from a shuffled deck and doctor jacob dailys last trick.

I took the original post:
Quote:
On 2012-09-24 06:25, MuscleMagic wrote:
This happens to everyone, someone knows you are into magic (business or hobby) they ask you show me something (card magic) what is it you show them, at least what is it you show them first?

Reminds me of a joke, how do you get a magician to show you 100 card tricks? Ask him to show you one.

to mean that someone asks you in a setting that isn't an audition.

I feel certain that everyone here is savvy enough to know that if you're at an audition, declining is probably not the wisest course of action; thus, it makes sense to answer the question as if you're not at an audition.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
My point is that you are always at an audition, never knowing who may see, hear, or book you.

Billy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 17:27, Billy-one wrote:
My point is that you are always at an audition . . . .

I humbly disagree.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
All my decks are pre-set mem decks. When I go out the door I'm ready.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Presarian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Crazy man handcuff, xfinger, acidus novus and if I do have a deck of cards, it usually contains a duplicate card and I will do Here N There. Quick simple and direct (:
LeDon
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of LeDon
I like starting with a chosen card inserted, doing a pass, then doing a DL and giving them their card. The end is various. After some tricks I continue with acr oftentimes to '' explain'' how I do this stuff.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
In my wallet I have two things. If someone says, "Hey, Doug, show us some magic!", well, I set the scene first. I tell them a friend had something crash on his property, and all he found were metal bits that look like black-anodized aluminum. He showed me the box, and I asked if I could have one. I then bring out The Amazing Jumping Arrow.

Then, I tell the story of the U.S. Navy and the U.S.S. Eldridge in 1943, and The Philadelphia Experiment. I then bring out Lubor's Lens and demonstrate.

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know...I'm gonna start carrying my 3-Ring Circus set. I had forgotten how strong an impact that makes. It's The Linking Rings done with those rings you have your keys hooked on to.
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
I'm just getting bak into it after a 30 year break. I usually carry a few rubber bands, a ring and a few coins as I expand my current abilities.

May get more complex as I get better.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Mik-Kado
View Profile
New user
Antwerp, Belgium
36 Posts

Profile of Mik-Kado
When I'm in the mood of doing some magic, and they ask me...
I'll take 2 rubberbands of my wrist and show them CMH-routine while talking about "The King of Escapes: Houdini".... I tell them he inspired a lot of magicians, and say: "I will show you the BIG secret!"
(While doing CMH I usually say: by rubbing them, they getting hot, melting, etc...) Then I'll set up to "explain" the CMH, but instead of the escape-effect.....1 rubberband is melting away...completely disappeared!!! I'll say: "you see, escaping is not THAT hard" and I'll take a deck of cards and do "Houdini's Card Trick" (where you wrap the cards and the chosen one -in my case signed- jumps out of the wrapped deck) while telling further about Harry Houdini and how he inspired me....
Usually I close this set with an ACR ending with Card in Wallet or Shoe...
Live your most beautiful life.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I always have Powerball 60 in my wallet for just those occasions when I am asked to do an effect at a moments notice. I often will do Coins Across if I have a Sh..l on hand.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Nate Leipzig said, "I am not an organ-grinder's monkey" and never performed an effect "on demand." However, he would later look for an opportunity to perform for that person at a moment of his choosing. The difference between "wanna see a trick" and "magic is what I do" is vast. If you announce that you play the zither no one expects you to whip one out and play a tune. Sure, you can always "do a trick." Performing magic is something else.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Forty Six & 2
View Profile
Regular user
Three cheers and some toasts for my
108 Posts

Profile of Forty Six & 2
I use a shuffle, a cut and a c**ss c*t f*rce followed up with 7 by Bryn Reynolds.
Ask, knock and seek
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2013, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 17:27, Billy-one wrote:
My point is that you are always at an audition . . . .

I humbly disagree.

I'd say it depends on the position that the individual magician is in. The truth is that you really don't know if the person asking or, if there's a group, someone watching might need to book or suggest a magician for an event or party. If the magician is in a position where they aren't actively seeking those gigs, then it's not really a potential audition for them & they have nothing to lose.

If you treat those requests as though they opened with a "I might need to a hire a magician...", rather than a potential audition (which will mean different things to different people, you don't really have much to lose.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, Forty Six & 2 wrote:
I use a shuffle, a cut and a c**ss c*t f*rce followed up with 7 by Bryn Reynolds.

Nice.... SEVEN is a "pet" of mine....

Thanks,
Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com