The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Best trick to do on a seconds notice? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2007-05-12 18:09, Magic Arty wrote:
I carry entourage in my wallet everywhere I go. I find it a fun routine that can be stretched out or gone through quickly. You can adapt it to involve a group of four if you wish, so everyone is involved.
I also use my triple threat wallet as a tool with the spectators business or credit card to wallert effect. (I don't have any cards with me today, do you? yes visa, master card american express,etc.)

Arthur

About to send you a PM. Intrested in your presentation are doing and what kind of Wallet you are using.
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
If you want to appear impromptu, a bill switch (mismade bill) or Gregory Wilson's recent Foreign Affair are great. Crazy Man's Handcuff's is my personal favorite. Don't do much (leave them wanting more) and do something you do very well and that is very strong. I don't think it is unreasonable to have a deck of cards on you (or even some coins) if you are a magician and known as a magician. However, I think that everything should be examinable or you really are a geek (and not just a magic geek). The only time a REAL spectator does not want to handle a prop is during a stage show (and that is because they assume everything is fake or done by mirrors). If you do a trick "on the street" or impromptu, you better let someone look at the prop or you are NOT a magician, but a geek who bought something at a magic shop.
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Great ideas and thoughts. Funny how we all have magic in common but all seem to have different thoughts on what should and shouldnt be done inpromptu. I have gotten some very good ideas and some things I don't know about. I will be searching some of them and see if they fit my style and performance and ability. I appreciate everyones input.

Donkey
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Can't say I agree with all that kenodad. A skilled "magician" with proper people management skills can make a need to examine a "prop" seem ludicrous. A good magician can make a "prop" seem like an everday object and often leave the spectator thinking they thoroughly examined everything. A "real" spectator usually wants to examine a "prop" when either the effect was performed poorly or they are performing for friends or relatives.
samdan
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of samdan
John,
You hit it on the head. As a hobbyist who performs exclusively for family and friends I am constantly asked to examine whatever it is I am using. Very annoying. Just watch and enjoy. I like to start with a few card tricks with a regular deck in which the trick includes them examining the deck and shuffling and hopefully that stops them later from asking to examine everything, but usually not. Would appreciate the ways in which anyone else out there deals with this situation.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Crazy man handcuffs.
Ambitious Card.
Simple effective coin effects ex. French drop. False transfer. Then a revelation.

Powerful.
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Coin flurry ending with an under-the-wristwatch complete vanish.
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
John,
I agree with you. My comments are meant as general guidelines or principles for impromptu magic for an audience that you do not know. I try to start with "tester" effects as I described, so that IF the audience is a bit obnoxious and uncontrollable (and SOME are (especially the drunk ones), even with seasoned performers and well thought out effects), then you can stop and/or move on.

But, John, your point is well taken: good audience management and psychology can take a prop that is gaffed to the hilt and completely non-examinable and create a miracle in the spectators eyes; and they don't even think about looking at the object or cards or coins. On the other hand, some audiences will see an absolute miracle of sleight of hand and assume your normal deck of cards (or THEIR bill or credit card or whatever) is a prop or altered somehow! Family is the worst. My suggestion is to pick safe effects initially with an audience you are not familiar with.
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
Gregory Wilson's Recap would seem a reasonable effect. Also perhaps a business card effect using the out to lunch principle perhaps?
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Number one personal impromptu rule - when performing impromptu, I always borrow the stuff. I also keep it really social seeming, more like a kind of game I'm playing with them. Classics I have used include crazy mans handcuffs (yes another vote it IS that GOOD when done properly I use a 'Zen' puzzle called a Koan patter), linking ring on band (Pinnacle, Paul Wilson, Ammar combined moves),or Fast and Loose - Whit Hayden using a borrowed necklace and my own money as the game incentive sometimes finishing with the Earl Nelson Ring off Rope applied to their ring and necklace - works well as you can weave quite a neat story emotionally with these two borrowed props.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Hehe I'm a real magic geek, in my buisness bag I carry 4 decks of cards 6 half dollars shells dollar sets, loops flash paper, TT, a couple set deck effects, and a ton of other stuff, in my wallet (a triple threat, I carry greed and foreign affiar, and in my pocket iv been carring a coin purse ready for a 3 silver coins to chinese leading into charming chinese challenge! hows that for ready for a moments notice. but for me I don;t do "real shows" so entertaining friends co workers and strangers, when things get boring is my only venue till I'm able to put some real work together
APL
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of APL
I've been doing Gregs "Re-Cap" for years. That is hands down my favorite impromtu routine. It has 5 phases that keep building. Show that to someone that wants to see something for the first time and they will have no doubt you are a real magician.
Best,
Aaron
samdan
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of samdan
Where I can I find "re-cap"? thanks
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 17:32, samdan wrote:
Where I can I find "re-cap"? thanks

If I remember right, it is on his DVD "On The Spot". Smile
APL
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of APL
Yes, it is on On The Spot, and In Action #2
Look for Gregs new product that will be out sometime late summer, "Pre-Cap".
A perfect prequal to "Re-Cap".
Best,
Aaron
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Superman Coin Bend
Infusion
Ghost Bills
Stuck
Breakaway Bracelet
The Jo-Dan link
The list goes on and on...
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
For me ? Now it will be Converter, check out the demo at Hocus Pocus, truly an amazing effect, the next WOW!!!!!!

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
magicjckson
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of magicjckson
Crazy Man's Handcuffs for sure!!!! Blows them away and you can just leave them with the bands at the end and walk away.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2007-05-12 18:31, TT2 wrote:
This and Kollosal Killer never leave my wallet, ever.

-Jerome.

I find Hundy is far more effective if you take it out of your wallet and perform it! Smile
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 21:50, magicjckson wrote:
Crazy Man's Handcuffs for sure!!!! Blows them away and you can just leave them with the bands at the end and walk away.

I downloaded this trick from Penguin years ago and never tried it on anyone, looks like I have been missing out. Need to go back into "My Panguin Magic" and re-download it. Not the first time I heard about the great reactions received from this effect. Off to Penguin!

Paul