The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Now this is sad, and a lesson to be learned... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Yeah Vince, that's a great way to acquire tricks! If only it were so easy Smile
..::damienfell::..
vidablue
View Profile
New user
uk
4 Posts

Profile of vidablue
I have a lot of trouble at work. I work as a croupier so therefore our pockets are sewn up. I always get someone ask me to do some magic. I like to do the voodoo ash trick that gets good response if they havent seen the masked magi and the same with the arm twisting. Why is it that all the tricks that can be performed completely impromptu seem to be reavealed in TV specials Smile Mind you I like the look of that capped one from the video and I don't think it's been revealed yet Smile
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I always have a deck of cards, QE English Penny, KG English Penny, Irish Penny, Irish Pound, and American Half on me. Plus I seem to collect a pound (weight) of change over the course of a week as well. I did receive an odd nickel in change once. The tails is normal but the heads was never stamped. The coin is the correct thickness so it hasn't been worn smooth.
Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
pasteboardforbrains
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
113 Posts

Profile of pasteboardforbrains
About performing with credit cards and such: I found that I like doing the Tenkai Vanish with one. (This insn't just a joke, I really do!) Smile
Parker Caldwell

sigh... nothing to quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-01-20 22:39, magicgeorge wrote:
I know lots of people who have spent gimmicked coins I've yet to meet someone who actually received one in their change. That would be a cool story.

A few years ago, someone in Houston received a Scotch and Soda in change. They thought it was either a counterfeit coin or one of those "spy" coins like the one that the Rosenbergs were accused of using to transfer microfilm to the Soviets.

The coin was given to the Secret Service. They, in turn, checked around with the local magic shops. One of the local magic and fun shops saw it as a chance to get some free publicity. So he tipped the local paper to it, and before you know it, there on the front page of the Houston Chronicle was an exposure of Scotch and Soda.

Did it hurt magic? Only for a couple of months.

Did it hurt the magic shop? Well, they lost all of their business from serious magicians, which left more room for Whoopee Cushions and rubber doggy doo.

Did it hurt me, personally? No. I have done Scotch and Soda for years with ungimmicked coins, so, in a way, it helped me. I never mention anything about special coins when I work, anyway, but those few who remembered the article in the Chronicle would go out of their way to drop the coin on the table at the end of the routine. Since it is a real coin, it rings like it is supposed to.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
We have an advantage in Canada as we have 1 and 2 dollar coins instead of bills so people always have a coin or two.

Problem then is most gimmick coins are US coins that don't match, but it's getting better as more are being made in Canadian $$

Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
jmm1303
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
49 Posts

Profile of jmm1303
I try and always carry some coins with me and all my gimmicks are halves
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Oh come on.
There's stuff around that can be used.
How about a shoelace for a quick ring-on-string routine? (Not everyone in a group has those velcro shoes.) Someone mentioned a couple-o-dollars above. Someone has to still have a dollar or two that didn't make it into the offering plate. How about a twisting arm or other physical body part effect? Does the church have a fellowship hall for coffee after church? I bet that 3 styro cups and a few wads of paper could be used for impromptu cups and balls.
Or, napkins from the coffee/cookie table could be used for an impromptu paper tear effect - or Dan Harlan's "Starkle". Grab two response cards/envelopes from the pew and do a card warp.

The real challenge isn't coming up with a quick effect, the real challenge would be coming up with a meaningful Gospel message to accompany it!

-Dave
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What a great idea for the Castle... give halves, English pennies, etc. in change!

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've never spent a gimmicked coin in my life. I always keep them in a change purse that is different than the one I keep my spending change in.
Lee Brown
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Lee Brown
I used to have a big jar full of silver coins I had gleaned from change. I counted it from time to time and noticed that it had been dwindling. Found out my wife had paid the paper boy with silver quarters. That's worse than spending a gaff!