The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Airplane Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I'm glad to see this post has been resurrected. I think Scott Wells started the last one a couple years back.

The best magic I've ever done in the air was when my friend and I took up our plane and did some parabolic curves. We were "floating" different things in the air on the big drops. He flicked a quarter in mid air and got it spinning perfectly. That's as close to real magic as it gets! Then the real trick was landing the stupid plane after we had just eaten Taco Bell and put our bodies in negative G's.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I was flying out to Nebraska- of all places to perform in Lincoln, at the Unniversity; this past summer. I ended up performing for the stewards and all. Then people around me. Everyone kept asking if I was 'famous' because I was a magician and flying to Nebraska from Pennsylvania. It was rather comical. Keep in touch-

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Thanks for remembering, Christian. Yes you can go to that thread (at least two pages long now) at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

As to strolling on the airplane, here's a piece of trivia. When Virgin Atlantic first started in the 1980's I believe, they contracted for stand-up entertainers such as magicians and comedians. It was a nice idea for tranatlantic flights that never really took off...so to speak.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
I say any deck tricks. I wouldnt use any gimmick tricks or anything like that because storage and such would be awkward, and difficult to get rid of, because the person would be always there, and so you would have to carry it on you for the rest of the flight. Tricks with a regular deck would be ideal as well, because its small and yeh. that's all
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Bring some loops and get creative with the plastic fork and cup when the food comes around. Smile
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Yup ! Tried it once and the Flight attendant nearly fainted. D lites are fun too on night flights. Sometimes I try to behave and just read a book. Problem is , I end up doing a book test to the person next to me.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
It's okay to use a trick deck if you present it right. Do a couple of tricks and put it back in your pocket. If someone demands to see it, explain to them it's a trick deck and offer to sell them one for $20.

I always keep a couple of cheap Svengali decks with me for just such an occasion.

Ahhhh.... capitalism!

Note: The Svengali deck has been openly sold to non-magicians for almost a century. It is easily one of the most exposed magic tricks ever yet it continues to KILL in the right hands.
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
All good ideas, but have you ever had to explain some of the "stuff" you have with you in you pockets or cases to a security officer. Do you know what a FISM Flash looks like under x-ray? It pretty much looks like and explosive device to the tech. They take all kinds of stuff away from you nowadays like matches, pocket knives, they even took my spider pen that's $50.00
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
I went to Tokyo and Korea this past summer. Needless to say they randomly picked people to go through the "extra security line"(take off shoes,etc.) Well I had my tt with me at the time and I was picked. I emptied my pocket and put everything in this little tray and they noticed my tt. They asked me what it was so I explained I do magic so I took the tt and made it dissappear. I then made it reappear behind back in my pocket and than just tossed it in the trash and said,"its magic." It was a very fun little thing to do because they believed me because they also saw my cards etc. I was also wondering-Have any of you guys been caught with props?
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I caused a panick one time in an airport. Thanks to my FISM flash. They thought I was a mad bomber or something. Learned my lesson.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Cup oodles to get a signed card in your meal, I don't know whether this would work as I do not own this, but I imagine you coulddo this

Tom
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
If you know how to do a center tear, you can make magic with a cocktail napkin and a pen. Another one that you can keep in your pocket at all times is Dreamweaver (although someone sitting right next to you might be close enough to spot the gimmick.)
Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 14:03, magicianguy4life wrote:
I was also wondering-Have any of you guys been caught with props?

Never to my face--when I went home from school for a while, I stopped by a local magic shop and stocked up on Tally-Hos (can't get them around here) and just piled decks upon decks in my suitcase. I was selected for a full search on the way back to school (luggage, carry-ons, everything) and though nothing was seriously disturbed, I wonder what they thought when they found decks and decks of cards floating around in my clothes...
slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Hehe funny stories Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 16:27, mr twain wrote:
Great idea - as long as no one else has the same one. Imagine: the flight takes off, and everyone suddenly gets up wanting to do their party piece. Vent acts compete for aisle space with vocal duos; observational comedians clash with instrumental soloists. It would be bedlam.

Been there, seen it happen. I flew back from MacWorld a couple of years ago. On board, in front of me, was the entire troupe from the Joffrey Ballet. Loud, obnoxious, rude and several of them got up and did moves in the aisle. It's annoying no end to have someone's foot appear in front of your face while you are trying to choke down airline food.

Fortunately, I had a joy buzzer on me... that's one dancer who will NEVER do extensions on an airplane again! It's amazing the reaction you get from putting one on the bottom of someone's foot...! (joking - I just thought about doing that.. too dangerous for real practice, but man! I would have LOVED to...!)

:firedevil:

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Almost got myself arrested at JFK Airport after I had left a pair of thumbcuffs in my hand luggage... Oh, you should have seen the butch security woman.. Her eyes lit up when she saw those sitting amongst ten decks of cards.

Had a nice ending though. After being taken off to another room by the head security officer I explained I was a magician (flying to las vegas). He was a magic and 'vegas fan, so let me onboard with no worries.

I asked him if people try to sneak cuffs onto planes often. He said, yes, it happens all the time, and usually they're the kinky type!