The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Matchbooks (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
There's a cool matchbook effect in one of the Penumbra magazines. I think it is the 2nd one. The item is called Mismatched and it's by Ray Kosby.

EFFECT: A matchbook is shown on both sides. Suddenly it visibly turns inside out. Now it can be given as a souvenir.

Nice item from a GREAT magazine.

Mike
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Linking matches are pretty cool!
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
"Decapitation" by Francis Carlyle. Stars of Magic pg. 57

"The performer borrows a package of paper matches and removes one match. He scrapes off the head on both sides and shows clearly that the match head is missing. Suddenly the head mysteriously reappears. The performer lights the match.

The strong feature of this effect is in the repetition. The performer tears out a second match. He again scrapes off the head on both sides. Once again the head mysteriously appears, and the performer lights the match."

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
A fun, impromptu trick- Psychic matchbook. A matchbook resting on your fingers twists and turns, etc.

There was another one I read recently (can't remember where) in which a paper matchbook was taken in empty hands and the cover ripped off and torn in two. Each piece was cleanly shown on all sides several times. The pieces were sandwiched together and coin (could be from a previous routine) slides out. If I remember where I read it, I'll post again. Likewise, if this sounds familiar, please post.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
As Wassabi says, the "linking matches" is wonderful. Doing a "paddle" routine with a match is great fun and NEVER fails to get a wow or two from the spectators.
Just my two cents worth.
-Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Check out "Matches All Gone" by Joel Givens. It's a very magical matches-to-straw routine, especially if you take the time to make it look impromptu.

It was in the December 2003 MAGIC Magazine in Josh Jay's Talk About Tricks column.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
John Macmillan:

I mis-read your post (vanish a lit match with TT), and thought it said "Vanish a lit match with TNT."

Hans Klok, eat your pyro-addicted heart out!

Nathan
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
While on the semi-topic on matches, Does anyone know of a commercially availible "Card to BOX of matches"?

Where a card folds into a match box? like the bill to matchbook....

I have made my own but they aren't very good, I'm looking for a commercial version that might be pastic or otherwise handle and look better.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Michael close has a version of bus. card to matchbox called El Cheapo Magic Club or something.

You can purchase Bill to Matches for around $15. Not a real good trick in my opinion. Angles are real bad.

How do you guys perform Firetrap? Any tips on setup? I did it a couple of times, but had the coin appear within the fibers of a business card instead of matchbook. I didn't like the setup, and haven't used it since.
Don Wilson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Don Wilson
Fedko's matchbook to 1000 bill is easy to do and not bad on the angles. Also with a match book with just a few left inside-have them counted, tear one out and burn it,vanish it, when cover opened the burnt match is inside.
Don
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
On my Ultimate Impromptu Volume 1 (L&L) are:

Traveling Match -- full routining of Milbourne Christopher's Flying Match, including a repeat phase. Shows how to cleanly vanish a match at your fingertips.

Then There Were Nine -- quick mental effect with any borrowed matchbook.

Make Ten -- a few short puzzles end with the performer visibly changing a paper match into a ten dollar bill.

Mark Sicher's A Perfect Match -- a beautiful torn and restored match (a la Slydini)

Penetrating Matches -- a classic, finally properly explained.

Magnetic Match -- causing one match to jump strangely when touched by another.

Invisible Hangman -- magically popping the head off of a match.

Al Koran's The Same Only Different -- can be done with any small, countable items, but works great with matches.

Also, I have a couple of gimmicked effects from the Premium Blend series:

Under Covers (vol 1) -- the name of a card appears painted inside a matchbook that was shown empty. No switch.

Spread 'Em (vol 4) -- the five remaining matches in a marked book spread out in a line yet remain attached.

There are also a few puzzles on my Mindbogglers series (vol 4 for matches) which has just been re-released on DVD.

You can also apply some relatively standard concepts to matches. Matrix, chink-a-chink, two in the hand - one in the pocket, coins across, spellbound, etc.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Spatula545
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Spatula545
Look in a recent issue of Magic magazine. There is a good match-dating trick. Sorry I can't be of much more help.
12 pennies stacked equals the hight of a dime.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
I like the Michael Weber Matchbook effect
maniac
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga
65 Posts

Profile of maniac
Color changing matches, pull one out you will find that there is a light and dark side. In 30 years I have only found one book of matches that were the same on both sides.

Tear out all the matches and place the closed empty book in their hand, then on the count of three throw a match back into the book.

Hope this helps..
danedover
View Profile
New user
Central Arkansas
22 Posts

Profile of danedover
Quote:
On 2003-06-01 17:49, London wrote:
I do a really neat effect where the matches are counted and one is removed, lit and vanishes only to reappear back in the book burnt and attached like the others. They can be recounted if you choose and it's the same. I follow it up by pulling out two unlit matches, set one down and use the other to burn all the matches left while still in the book. Close the book to put out the fire and the other unlit match vanishes and reappears in the book unharmed.

London,

I would be curious if the unlit match is held back the same way the burned match is in the beginning of the routine?

Dane

Quote:
On 2003-07-16 13:59, Ty Argo wrote:
A fun, impromptu trick- Psychic matchbook. A matchbook resting on your fingers twists and turns, etc.

There was another one I read recently (can't remember where) in which a paper matchbook was taken in empty hands and the cover ripped off and torn in two. Each piece was cleanly shown on all sides several times. The pieces were sandwiched together and coin (could be from a previous routine) slides out. If I remember where I read it, I'll post again. Likewise, if this sounds familiar, please post.

A version of what you described is in Tarbell, (Version 8 I believe). I've used it several times with good results.

Dane
andl
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
159 Posts

Profile of andl
I love it to let a match vanish by sticking it into my hair... that's so simple and fools everyone!!!
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Just finally saw Cyril do (his version?) of Firetrap on YouTube and wanted to revisit this topic. Its been dormant since 2004. Any new ideas, routines, or great patter using matchbooks now that we are in 2008. By the way, I had to get Firetrap as it was truly an astonishment moment for me when the coin appeared IN the matchbook!

Looking forward to ANY comments/gripes/ideas.

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Eric Leclerc does a cool Razor to Matchbook transformation called Razor Burn on Sankey's Underground Jam DVD.

Andre
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
That effect on the "Underground Jam" DVD fooled me..

Scar
Jim Hazen
View Profile
New user
Elizabeth Colorado
56 Posts

Profile of Jim Hazen
Brian tudor has a very convincing card to matchbook on Heckeler