The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Gum magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
Certain magic shops sell Bubble gum coils that have the look and almost same texture as hubba-bubba.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I use the "Bogus Bubble Gum Coils" in almost every show. They're really a great idea, and it's not the same old thing as the mouth coil. It gives you a reason to put (and have) something into your mouth. I completely agree with people who find the "eating a napkin" thing distasteful (no pun intended), especially for and with children.

Steve Thomas
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This is a fun discussion!

I use sticky situation as an opener for my cigarette trick called OUTSMOKIN'. You can check it out at my site if you want.

The plot is that I am chewing gum. I apologize for my rudeness as I remove the gum from my mouth and look for a place. All the while I explain that I'm trying to quit smoking (Which explains the gum chewing). Then after I do the sticky situation trick. I go into the cigarette trick with a stop smoking theme.

I came up with another trick a few years ago that uses chewing gum. I came up with it when I was faced with the situation of doing magic for a blind person. So this trick (Called Smell Bound) was the result. What happens is I hand them two sticks of chewing gum, one in each hand. They're asked to smell them and guess what flavor they are. One is fruit (Juicy Fruit) the other is Cinnamon (Big red).
Without touching them I cause them to switch places. It does have a visual effect to it too because only the gum inside the wrappers changed. So at the end the juicy fruit one is opened and the stick of big red is found inside.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I scoured my copy of Lifesavers last night and found no such routine about gum switching places.

Any other ideas which book this routine is in or where in the book it is hiding??

I'd love to read about it. It sounds quite funny.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Related to Gum Tricks Check out these products from Hocus Pocus Magic in Calif.

ABC Gumball Re-Combobulator by Wolf Magic
Bubble Gum Mouth Coils

Both of these look like really great effects!
Dennis Michael
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
I will bet somebody that I will show them something they have never seen and never will see again. After the bet is set I pull out a piece of gum wrapper, open, show gum and stick it in my mouth. Need I say more?

AmazingBoz Smile
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I didn't think it was in Webers book. So where is it? It sounds interesting.
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Years ago a me and a friend of mine came up with a trick that is done with chewing gum. We called it "Smell Bound." It was actually targeted to doing magic for blind people.

The basic effect is that a person would hold a stick of gum in each hand. They are asked to smell the flavors (remember it was for a blind person). One would smell of fruit (juicy fruit) and the other would smell like cinnamon (big red).
Then without touching them I'd make them switch hands. AS a bonus for the ones who can see. When they are opened the flavors are in the opposite wrappers too. It's a pretty fun quickie.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
stevie1
View Profile
Regular user
perth,australia
180 Posts

Profile of stevie1
There's a trick by David Kenney at Online-Visions.com called "chewed out" ,in the close-up section.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Gum to balloon.
Gum to elastic bands.
Growing wad of gum.
Gum to sponge.
Cut and restored strand of gum. Gag.
The wad jumps from one fingernail to another. Oldie.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2003-01-15 09:17, Jaxon wrote:
I use sticky situation as an opener for my cigarette trick called OUTSMOKIN'. You can check it out at my site if you want.

The plot is that I am chewing gum. I apologize for my rudeness as I remove the gum from my mouth and look for a place. All the while I explain that I'm trying to quit smoking (Which explains the gum chewing). Then after I do the sticky situation trick. I go into the cigarette trick with a stop smoking theme.

Good one Ron.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Bob T.
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bob T.
There is a trick described in Genii August 1996 By Dan Harlan - Featuring Floyd Beatlebaum. It is an impromptu effect sawing a pack of gum in half and restoring it. Compares it to sawing a lady in half.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Sparks put out a paddle trick called Gum Machine using sticks of chewing gum. A search will bring it up at ELMS.
Joe Cassidy
View Profile
New user
Annandale, VA
2 Posts

Profile of Joe Cassidy
Harry Lorayne published the Great Stick of Gum Restoration Mystery in Afterthoughts many years ago. It was a Tim Wenk idea. I have not done it for years but it was a good trick for the right moment.
Rabbitless Hat
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Rabbitless Hat
I think the best trick ever with gum is one by Tom Ladshaw. The only problem is that the gum is the modus operendi so if I tell you what the trick is I'll be roasted for exposing methods here.

Look for the Fechter's video with Tom on it or his lecture notes. It is worth the effort to find! Smile
"Too much flourish for the magicians. Too much magic for the flourishers."
timofy
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of timofy
Sankey has released an effect called juicy fruit were the name of your spectators selected card is on the wrapper of your packet of juicy fruit gum instead of the words juicy fruit, Then they find they card folded inside. Although it's not Impromptu special wrappers and dupe I think laymen would find it quite entertaining.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Jay Snakey has an effect called "Wrap It Up" in 100% Sankey that's fun for the gum chewing crowd. You take the gum out of your mouth, wrap it in the wrapper, toss the package into the air and it changes into an unopened, unused piece of gum in the original wrapper.

Pretty easy to do, too!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
There's an old gag used as an ice breaker by some close-up workers:

You say you will turn a stick of gum into a piece of candy. You hold the gum over your close-up pad, then gracefully flip it onto the pad...where it just lays.

You look around, wordlessly, at the spectators for a moment, then say,

"What?!? Didn't you see the GUM DROP?!?"

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I do this everytime I have gum in my mouth. Do a retension vanish with your mouth! You show the chewed up gum between your lips, pretend to take it out and suck it back in, now make it disseapear!!! I just swallow it (theres no harm in swallowing gum, its a myth mom's tell their kids) no one ever says "you swallowed it, cause in grown up land, you just don't do that, its great! Do it with candies too, after a meal at a restaurant! Its perfect. (for me)

Mac King has this in his book but he pretends to stick it on a person's shirt and freak them out, this is hilarious as well.
Flores Magic
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
54 Posts

Profile of Flores Magic
My favortie gum trick is called "Gummick Improved" by Lamont G. Ream. The effect is brilliant. A card is selected and placed on top of the deck. The performer presses down on the deck proving he can actually have the card penetrate through the deck. HE reaches under the table to obtain the card which was supposed to have penetrated through the table and finds he has chewed gum stuck to his finger. The performer then causes the wad of gum to go back in time to when it was a normal stick, then changes from a normal stick to a wraped stick of gum. Then it goes back to the card trick. The stick of gum now penetrates trough the table. The chosen card is discovered inside the foil wrapper where the stick of gum was a moment ago.
" Pick a card, any card "