The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: What is your simplest, most effective close up trick? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Amrit
View Profile
New user
UK
81 Posts

Profile of Amrit
I carry a JOL wallet and a deck of cards with me so I'm always ready to go with the Wonder Unit which gets some amazing reactions. Depending on the person I am performing to I may use Wayne Houchin's French Kiss which again gets some mind blowing reactions. To finish off I use Photoshop which I always carry in my wallet as well. Since I carry these with me all the time these are my go to effects when asked to show anyone something and have never failed to impress. As a back up I would go for something like a 2-card monte which also gets excellent reactions and is direct, quick and to the point.
gvinson
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gvinson
2 dollar window. It is cool because 2 dollar bills are not very common.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2011, mago.niko wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-13 11:45, Ms. Merizing wrote:
Borrow a shiny coin. Perform a Retention Vanish.
or
Use a combination of half dollar, expanded half dollar shell, & flipper half dollar to perform a combination of engaging effects. First, read Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.
or
McBride's Magic Wishing Rainbow.

Please DO NOT perform a retention vanish. This is a sleight, not a routine.. Even if you are the best coin magician in the world and perform only a retention vanish nobody is gonna be fooled. If the coin is not in the right hand, it's in the left. Every lay man knows it. This kind of sleights must be used as part of an entire routine...

I have seen the retention vanish done as an effect in and of itself many, MANY times. It seems to be the one coin "trick" that everyone knows and that same everyone will show it to you as soon as it becomes known that you do magic. It is always preceded by "Watch this" and always followed by "See? It's still in this hand!" Oh, and did I mention that the faster it is, the better it is?

As an element of a coin routine it is still and always will be very deceptive because it is NOT the focus. Once it becomes a "Watch this" moment, it loses any and all value.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
A Dollar- Phil Goldstein.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Is there another name for the Phil Goldstein trick? I'm having trouble Googling it.

Thanks,

Ed
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No. There is no other name.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Bag 4 Life followed with Quantum Bender
Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

Profile of Shurikenstorm5
Changing the card under my foot to the spectator's card. You could also do an ambitious card routine.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
+1 for Quantum Bender. Get the original from John Sheets!!!
Jacob3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jacob3
Easy ones are with matchsticks. Multiplying matchsticks, or burned matchstick to a box.
ruzifa
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ruzifa
Cube 3 Smile
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
5 years, and this thread is still going strong. For truly unprepared tricks, I usually go into my mentalism persona and do Docc Hilford's E'VOQUE or a similar PATEO force with random objects. Peter Turner's "Wish You Were Here" and other propless mentalism always goes down well. If I'm feeling magical, Lonnie Chevry's Clean Through is great fun.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Super simple muscle pass if done right
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Sponge balls Smile
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
I used to use Doc Eason's Nuts and Bolts Opener and Color Monte...these pretty much caught their attention quickly as both have a bit of a wow factor to them...but I don't do Restaurant/Walk Around/Close Up magic anymore...retired...getting to old for all the walking and standing (back trouble)...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Chicago surprise is my most effective
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Spoon bending ! Hey wait. Lemme explain.

Its a pack of plastic cards with spoons drawn on it and held together by a rubber band. Based on OTL. I give one each to 3 people. One spoon bends, another twists and the third one breaks. Simple and fantastic.

Dunno what's it called and where I picked up (many years back) but I love doing it.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
GalloMagic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of GalloMagic
Double Back by Jon Allen and EB 2.0 by Richard Sanders; I always carry them both in my wallet.
LeafyMagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of LeafyMagic
I really like to do steve valentine's card transpo routine as taught on his penguin lecture. If I have time, I add a prediction, a TNR, and Cameron Francis' Hello my name is.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Extreme burn 2 L&L. Been accused of "black magic", seen people loose their breath, and also booked gigs because of this. Always on me.