The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Building a set off of B'Wave - where to go next? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Trying to design my 3x3. I really like the idea of having a walk-around mentalism set.

If I'd like to include B'Wave, would you open with that?

If not - what's your goto walk around mentalism effect?

How about routining B'Wave - what do you pair it with?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I've opened walk around sets with B'wave, but then, rather than stick to mentalism type effects, I like to mix things up so they see different things and have more experiences than just mentalism for my brief time with them. That doesn't mean a mentalism set is wrong, just sharing my take on how I did things.

For example, I might open with B'wave and depending on their reactions (are they even enjoying this?) then I might do mini chop cup or CSB followed by sponge bunnies.

Or show them a couple of tricks first and then go into B'wave when you see they are enjoying themselves.

Anyway, that's how I did walk around sets, but I like to mix it up.

Try different things and see what you like and what works or flows together for you.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4551 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I do something like this,

B'wave uses imagination so it would be a good lead into ABsee, then into a name revelation.

So do B'wave, pull out a billet and have them write a name of someone they know and you'll get back to that later (put it face down into your wallet), go into Absee to test how well they can send thoughts, then you have them think of the person they are thinking of and reveal it.

You can play around with that structure Smile

B'wave
Absee
Name Revelation

You want a longer set do Cipher Pro with a zodiac sign/date of the month they were born/lottery ticket match at the end.

I have done a longer set out of my Orphic+ wallet. Everything is self contained Smile

Violition
B'wave
Stand Up Monte
Name Revelation
Cipher Pro
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am shocked by how long the ridiculous myth of the 3 sets of 3 tricks has lasted in the close up beginner culture.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4551 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It’s a good format, no doubt.

There have been many times when I’ve just done 2 solid routines and that’s quite enough!
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Quote:
On May 12, 2023, Blindside785 wrote:

There have been many times when I’ve just done 2 solid routines and that’s quite enough!

It's funny you say this - I have 2 good routines and am kind of 'cherrypicking' to create a third.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 12, 2023, Blindside785 wrote:

Actually I was saying the opposite.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I've never followed the 3 sets of three thing, but since the OP does I went along with it. I usually just go by feel of the crowd and make sure all the tricks are good. I can stop at any time.
If 3x3 works for you then cool, if not, do something else. Have fun and entertain people.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On May 12, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am shocked by how long the ridiculous myth of the 3 sets of 3 tricks has lasted in the close up beginner culture.

I know what you mean. I prefer two short routines in a set, but things will vary from one performer to another.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess it is a good starting point. But things are so fluid that to get stuck in this paradigm is ridiculous. In one night you can be doing 2 tricks for a group, then 6 tricks for another, and then 1 trick for a group then 10 for another. It is just not standard.

Which is exactly what Alan just got through saying LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3526 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I don't know why anyone would do B'Wave when you can do The Invisible Deck. Apart from the huge difference of 1 in 4 vs 1 in 52 odds. it's more natural to use a deck than to pull four cards out of a wallet
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say that packet tricks in general strike me that way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On May 11, 2023, bdungey wrote:
Trying to design my 3x3. I really like the idea of having a walk-around mentalism set.

If not - what's your goto walk around mentalism effect?

Here’s one of my favourite walk around mentalist effect, that really does get great reactions. Short, sharp and punchy too, hope you like it

Magically,

Website - www.sgmagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

And here’s another one…

Again, a short punchy routine…
Magically,

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am going to get a lot of crap here but many coin tricks involve holding coins in ways nobody ever would hold them, or having one arm suddenly become paralyzed and hanging dead on side of your body. Just an odd look.

Something I won’t get crap for is saying weddings seem an interesting environment as people are all in the room to celebrate to begin with so that is interesting. I don’t ever with them so it is just an outside observation..
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

Here’s another clip, recorded yesterday. Again, it’s mentalism based, suitable for mix and mingle etc

Magically,

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3561 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Bdungey, what other things in the mental magic aspect do you already do? Knowing this can bring you suggestions. Yes, B'Wave can be a good opener.
As others have mentioned, one does not need a 3x3 routine, yet if that is makes you comfortable, there is nothing wrong with it.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2023, simplymagicweb wrote:
Here’s another clip, recorded yesterday. Again, it’s mentalism based, suitable for mix and mingle etc

I like that Sean very nice, where can it be found or is it one of your own ?
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

The Birthday Book I had printed up myself... It plays really well as birthdays are an emotional hook, and it makes the effect very personal for the spectator
Magically,