The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Strolling Effects for Shaky Hands (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bmmagic24
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of bmmagic24
I have had a several year hiatus from doing close-up magic for money. I used to have a steady restaurant job and strolling gigs. During that time my Essential Tremor has increased, its normally not a very noticeable shake, but stimulants (caffeine, energy drinks, alcohol, nicotine) can increase the noticeability of the shaking as well as, of course, adrenaline (caused by nerves). I have an upcoming gig, the first in years, so I'm asking for suggestions for strolling close-up that is strong and ideally also visual (although I realize that might not always be possible), but can be done with minimal sleight of hand or at least sleight of hand that can be done without a lot of heat. It's not that I'm afraid of sleight of hand or that I can't do it, again, it's because my hands will most likely shake and I'd rather not have people notice it. Some stuff that comes to mind so far is Search and Destroy by Aaron Fisher, the Invisible Deck has also served me well, I have a the F1 Nitro Wallet which I like because its a fast, easy, deceptive no-palm...and I realize those are marketed effects, but in the past my close-up (mostly cards, I like a lot of John Guastaferro) was sleight heavy and visual that I can't exactly think of many that would be good off the top of my head that would mask my shaky hands. Anyway, just looking for ideas. Thanks!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Most shaking happens when your hand is in some slight pressure (like holding a card) and your hand is out on its own. Using a little more pressure can help. You can also steady your hand by just touching a table top or the top of the deck in your other hand or use two hands where possible. certain positions of the wrist are worse than others. Do some checking to see the best and worst for you.

Ring and Rope might be good because you can do larger movements and you can have pulling opposition between the hands via the rope at a distance (which can reduce shaking) It makes a good starter because it will go over well and once the initial adrenaline rush passes so do most of the tremors.

Ring and Rope can be scaled to the size of your audience by changing the size of the ring and thickness of the rope/cord. Some moves will not be the same but there is always some other way to get it done. Ring and Rope is also a good one to play to play "up and out" so the audience sees more of your personality and less of the top of your head.

Deep breathing a little full body muscle dynamic tension (including your hands) just before you go in can help too.

Best of luck.

Mary Mowder
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3525 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
How about sponge balls? Even simple moves done well will create screams.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I'm not sure if this is the proper name but I do an effect called Whispering Queen. I belive it's from Royal Road. The spec does all the work and it leaves them amazed. Zero sleights needed. It always bothered me that this got better reactions than some of me sleight heavy stuff bit o finally realized it was because this allowed me to focus on presentation. Anyways if you can't find it pm me and I'll type it out for you. I'd check the books but I'm on the road.
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
I get shaky hands when doing new things.
So whatever you decide, I suggest you show them to everyone and anyone at every possibility.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Open with an effect that you are comfortable with and that is not has intensive on your hands. After your first trick, you'll likely be more comfortable and the initial jitters will begin to fade.

John G
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
MENTAL MAGIC
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I have the same issue as well. And I refuse medication . But I don't let it stop me, take the advice of all the posts above and just do it . You will be surprised to see how understanding lay people can be, and after a while, you will not notice it.

Dave
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3525 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
This might be silly but I wonder if you could actually make the shaky hands be your magic gesture. Instead of waving your hand over a card just hold your hand above the card and let it shake.

If your hands shake noticeably at another time you remark "sometimes I can't control the magic".

I do not Essential Tremors so this might be a dumb idea. Just throwing out ideas.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Mike, not a silly idea at all, but for me, it is more of an internal vibration with only a slightly noticeable exterior movement. I also get the same thing in my legs, it is different for everyone of course. I did have one child notice, I never acknowledged it and just kept on with the show. The severity does fluctuate for me as I would imagine it does for others who have this issue, but again. I just plow thru. But back to your suggestions, all would work to minimize the issue. I really like this part. "sometimes I can't control the magic".

Thanks Dave.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3525 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Some may want to hide it but they say if you can't hide it paint it red. One might embrace the character of an older wizard who is physically frail but still has a great deal of magic which would resonate with the Harry Potter crowd for instance.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I haven't had this problem for a while but yesterday I showed a brand new bit to some good Magician friends and suddenly noticed I was shaking like a leaf.
I forgot all my advice in the heat of the moment (and I just wrote it that day) . D'OH!

-Mary
bmmagic24
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of bmmagic24
I know another magician friend who seems to have this problem (either that or he is always nervous) and he just ignores it, but I really just don't want to do that, call it my pride but I just feel like I can't. I'm 6' 7", 24 years old, I played basketball in college and I don't want people to know I have any sort of condition. I feel like I shouldn't have this problem to begin with but I do and I want to mask it as much as possible. John G, yes I do plan on doing that and I hope that will work to some degree, because as I mentioned the shakiness certainly are accentuated by adrenaline. Mary, I've never done ring and rope, any suggestions for source material to learn from?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
You may want to check out Ring Leader by Wilson. As for the shaking it is not in your control. Do not feel bad about it
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
Extreme burn!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I learned my routine one by one from different people in session.

I do know that Aldo Colombini had some great work on Ring and Rope. Here is a link and what a bargain!

http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......lzldgwfs

Once you know just one it is useful. A routine is nice but not necessary. In fact, once you know a few, you have to hold yourself back from doing them all in a row just because it is so fun (but to much for the audience). Ring and Rope is addictive, you have been warned.

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
I agree with Mary. SInce my crippled hands prevent doing about 80% of what I ustacould, Ring and Rope took on a new importance.

The danger is the desire to present too many effects as a routine. 2-3 are enough, though you can segue into a rope effect or use the ring in another way.

Obviously, rope effects can be done with shaky hands too.

I was never bothered by what an observer thought about my shaky hands, just a fear of dropping things.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, MeetMagicMike wrote:
This might be silly but I wonder if you could actually make the shaky hands be your magic gesture. Instead of waving your hand over a card just hold your hand above the card and let it shake.

If your hands shake noticeably at another time you remark "sometimes I can't control the magic".

I do not Essential Tremors so this might be a dumb idea. Just throwing out ideas.

Yup!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Some may want to hide it but they say if you can't hide it paint it red. One might embrace the character of an older wizard who is physically frail but still has a great deal of magic which would resonate with the Harry Potter crowd for instance.

Yup again!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree with my dear friend, Mary.

Aldo and I were never close, but, we worked a regional convention in St. Louis, eons ago. His ring and rope material is well worth your working on.

A hunk of rope and a ring are both PORTABLE! Carried in a pocket, they can be very therapeutic!!! PLUS, The TRICKS possible are ultra SIMPLE and FUN to watch. Those TRICKS can help create great magical EFFECTS!

i "YUPPED" both of MMMikes comments, 'cuz they make sense! (I'm not a doctor, just a performer!) If you don't "notice" it, odds are that the spectators won't be concerned about it either.

Before I forget...the late Sid Lorraine, published a neat, simple, fun, rope/knots routine in his book, "PATTER", about 70 years ago. (Abbott's) He published the "mechanics" in one of his lectures, back in the '60s. If this sounds interesting, PM me.