The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Filming and taking pictures of spectators? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I have a strolling gig next weekend and I wanted to get some promo videos and pictures done. In the state of California do I need written or verbal permission to post them on a YouTube channel or my website? Thanks!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't know what the law is but it wiuld certainty be a nice thing to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I wanted to film the specs reactions for a paromo DVD I was making but wanted natural reactions. What I did was wear a spy pen video recorder and just recorded them without their knowledge and asked them aafterwards if they minded me using the footage for the DVD, not one person refused. You can get these pens for under $25, mine is full HD and gives incredible results, both video and audio.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I never go the route of having a "release" signed off, but I have never had an issue with taking a photo or video of someone. Go to my website and you'll see TONS of photo's of me performing in restaurants, living rooms, fairs and festivals, etc. I just Aaron (www.fearlessportraits.com) unload several 100 per show in hopes to get a few good ones that are usable.

Many will never even know their photo was taken and they'll never see it either. If they do, the likely hood of them "caring" is so low, I don't worry about it. Always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

WITH THAT SAID, children's photo's are a different story. I feel I must get parental permission. Normally, the only time I'm getting pictures of children is when I'm twisting balloons. I make a balloon, hand it to the child and then ask the parents if I may take a photo of their child with their balloon for my website/facebook etc. I have never had anyone refuse. In fact, many think it's "cool" that their kid is on my website. My photo pages seem to get the most hits.

Go here: http://christopherlyle.com/photos.php and click on the Balloons with Style album.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Here's a shot from my website. I have it as the "description picture" in my shows area to showcase what "strolling magic" is...

These people were all "lit" long before I ever got to their table. Nobody ever knew their photo was being taken. What are the chances they'd ever find this image with them in it? I'd have a better chance of hitting the lottery while being struck by lightening.

But if it does happen, do you really think anyone would care? I seriously doubt it... Smile

One other thing...

When I book a show, I have a clause in my contract stating that photos might be taken during my show for promotional purposes and that you are giving your permission for this to happen by signing this contract.

Never have I had an issue nor has anyone ever questioned my motives... Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Well Christopher, if you gave them your business card, and they decide to check out your website/book you, then the chances aren't that low, but I agree that they wouldn't mind, especially as they are portrayed in a good light.

I've got to say, I didn't know balloon art existed to that extent. All I've ever seen made in England are poodles and swords. Your pictures are amazing!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-14 21:27, David Fillary wrote:
Well Christopher, if you gave them your business card, and they decide to check out your website/book you, then the chances aren't that low, but I agree that they wouldn't mind, especially as they are portrayed in a good light.

You do have a point, but then again, I don't just give my card to everyone. I only provide it if asked. May not be a great way to do business, but I don't like forcing a card on someone. Know what I mean.

Quote:
I've got to say, I didn't know balloon art existed to that extent. All I've ever seen made in England are poodles and swords. Your pictures are amazing!

Thanks! I've had many awesome teachers! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Awesome! Thanks!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
When we hosted the last three "Festival of Magic" performances here in Orlando, all of our partner restaurants allowed us to have a both professional photographers as well as videographers. On all the entrances we posted notices that there were several magicians performing and the restaurant was basically a 'hot set'. We had the hostess hand every table a table tent that advertised the event and any table who was interested in seeing magic could keep it on the outside of the table and if they didn't want to see any to simply place it off to the side and out of view. On the inside was a brief release form. At each table, one of the ten magicians performing would do magic for that table and a photographer and videographer would shoot footage and reaction shots. Once the magician finished, he would thank them and leave and the photographer would ask the table to sign the form.