The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Routining and Evaluation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
General

I am an not a professional magician – that is, I never charge when I perform but I often perform without charge at charitable functions. When I do it’s usually walk around magic at a cocktail party before dinner.

I find this challenging because you have to walk up to people that may be engaged in conversation and interrupt and get them to be interested in seeing what you are going to present. Quickly!

I find the “introduction” most important. As a result I generally start with a quick effect with a coin – a coin I have. I don’t want to waste time asking someone for a coin. And I generally start with a “Perverse Magic” effect – that is “look what happens and I don’t understand why—”

Routining

I think it is important to know what effects I will be doing and in what order.

I prepare a sheet listing various effects I do – mostly with coins and cards and then list them on a sheet of paper. Then I make columns – see Roman numbers below (I-III)

Date: I II III

Effect number 1 1
Effect number 2 2
Effect number 3 1
Effect number 4 1
Effect number 5 2
Effect number 6 3
Effect number 7
Effect number 8 2
Effect number 9 3

I would do routine I for the first group of people and routine II or III for the next group etc. As I said, the first effect is usually a coin effect (again, using my coins as I don’t want to waste time borrowing a coin for my first effect) and then if they are interested I would go on to one or two card effects.

My thoughts I doing this routining is (i) one effect follows another logically and (ii) I am never ‘on too long” and stop with them wanting more (I hope).

Evaluation

After the job is done, perhaps on the way home or when I get home and while everything is still fresh in my mind I review how everything went and I put a letter next to each of the effects I did. The letters may mean something like:

A – Went over very well
B- I didn’t do this effect
C-Did the effect too fast
D-Consider changing effect by ______
E- etc-

This self evaluation can be most helpful in improving future performances taking into consideration the audience reaction.

I hope this is helpful to someone.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Sorry - my chart came out wrong.

Hope this is better:

Date: I II III

Effect number 1 1
Effect number 2 2
Effect number 3 1
Effect number 4 1
Effect number 5 2
Effect number 6 3
Effect number 7
Effect number 8 2
Effect number 9 3
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Karrell Fox had a clever idea for this kind of strolling close up at cocktail hours, etc.

He bought a RED top hat! (Obviously, not cheap!, but he worked a lot [at good $] and he figured the cost amortized.)

At the beginning of the hour, the MC or Toastmaster or ? would announce that 'our favorite magician KARRELL FOX is with us tonight, to entertain you. He'll be wandering around the room HE'S WEARING A RED TOP HAT! We hope you'll enjoy his magical fun'

You may not want to spend $2oo on a hat, but you can wear a pink (???) vest or purple ribbon in your hair??? or some such.

BUT, I would definitely NOT RECOMMEND that you INTERRUPT PEOPLE!!!!! INSTEAD, look for the individual or couple who seem to be "wallflowers'
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Expanding on Dick's last line -- you said, "you have to walk up to people that may be engaged in conversation and interrupt ..."

Where does the "have to" come from? You may "choose to" for a variety of reasons -- each of which. methinks, has something to do with you and not the other person.

Why do you believe that what you are planning to perform is more important than what they are doing right now?

Even if you are paid and directed by your employer to interrupt every person you should still ask, "How can I get permission?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I think picking up people on their terminology is getting over the top on the Café. Even if people know you are performing at a gig, even if they love magic and can't wait to see you perform, you still technically are interrupting people when you approach. Unless you think that people sit quietly and don't converse with each other, just waiting for your stunning magical presence to enter their lives. It just doesn't happen that way in the real world today. That is why their are so many people wanting to write about and discuss " the approach" If you don't like the terminology, surely you can see the intent of the post.

And that does nothing to address the initial intent of this post !

The technique you use is a bit too formal for me, but I think it is so important to review your performance, particularly while it if fresh in your mind. Your technique would not work for me, but I do turn off the music in my car and review the performance while it is all there to review. When the adrenalin wears off you will be amazed how much you will forget.

What you are doing is a great technique to use, especially for someone who admits to not being a professional. It is, in fact, a very professional attitude you bring to your work.

Oh, and when will people realise that in online conversations, all capitals is considered SHOUTING, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS FOLLOWED BY !!!!!!!!!

If you insist on correcting people's use of incorrect terminology, please use some manners in your own communications.