The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Your favorite stolling effect with a regular deck (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
Hello again guys, I was wondering what people were performing with a regular deck of cards at restaurants/ bars. I've been getting kind of nervous lately and resorting to my Svengali and ID. I don't know why but I have this strong fear of messing up and gimmicks make it easier for me. I really want to focus on practicing some effects with a regular deck and wanted to see what other people loved.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Where to begin?

Twisting the Aces - Vernon
The Last Trick of Dr. Jacob Daley - Daley
The Visitor - Jennings
Newest Tens - Ortiz
Triumph - Vernon
Calculated Risk - Lorayne
Business Card Prophesy - Simon
Jumping Gemini - Ortiz

And a bazillion others.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4551 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Dr. Daleys/Weighted Aces - I am now converting myself to Weighted Aces (Gregory Wilson) better routine really.

Hofinzer(spelling?) ace problem, Daniel Chard's Cardshark has a handling that I use and he has great impromptu card material

Stuff off Lee Smith's Step System is great, Icebreaker, Third Degree, etc.

Mr. E Takes a Stroll from One Degree by John Guastaferro

Back In Time - I use my own handling that streamlines this a bit more than goes off Josh Jay's handling. Jay Sankey has a version of this using the slop shuffle. I did this at a family together, with my girlfriend's family, for a living room of 30 people, it killed.

Walkaround 2 cards to pocket (Lee Smith)

UCCU by Jeff Kaylor, I do this at bars all the time.

I'll think about others, I perform quite a variety of normal card stuff when I'm out and about at bars.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I think the main trick that restaurant magicians tend to perform is some version of an ambitious card routine ending with their signed card in an impossible location
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 23:42, AdamChance wrote:
I think the main trick that restaurant magicians tend to perform is some version of an ambitious card routine ending with their signed card in an impossible location

You're probably correct . . . and that's as good an argument as any to perform something else: something that sets you apart from the lion's share of restaurant magicians.

(I was at the Castle last week, and did an impromptu show for about 30 people, all but two of whom I'd never met. Later, one of the women who'd seen me told me that one of the effects I did was better than anything she'd seen the paid magicians do, and that it was the "most original" card magic she'd ever seen. It was a self-worker. Funny.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 23:42, AdamChance wrote:

Never did one in over 20 years. But you are right, most certainly do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Card on forehead followed by an explanation using ambitious card to tell them it is a trick deck... finally card on forehead... AGAIN
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 23:21, theamazingsauce wrote:
Hello again guys, I was wondering what people were performing with a regular deck of cards at restaurants/ bars. I've been getting kind of nervous lately and resorting to my Svengali and ID. I don't know why but I have this strong fear of messing up and gimmicks make it easier for me. I really want to focus on practicing some effects with a regular deck and wanted to see what other people loved.

I don't know why but I fear more from gimmicks than regular decks Smile

card to pocket is one of my favourite
also recently I love to perform a "signature effect" by darwin ortiz.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I do Fab Four by JC Wagner. It is a great effect that seems to take a great deal of skill and can be performed impromptu with just about any deck. It is a longer routine and not flashy, but for my style it plays really well. It has even become my go-to effect when someone hands me a deck of cards and asks me to do something. My opening line is, "Let me show you something special that I don't show to everyone."
ScottieKrause
View Profile
New user
Houston
51 Posts

Profile of ScottieKrause
I did a ambitious routine for a little while ending with jay sankeys paperclipped, but replaced it with brother hammans two card trick. I fee that I get better reactions from my crowds. I also sometimes like to do David Williamson's 4 ace trick and his 51 cards to pocket.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3102 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Check out David Regal's "Tricks" DVD Volume #3----All performed with a regular deck.
My personal favorite is Mr Stickman by Richard Sanders. (my own handling)
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1043 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Caligula Triumph from Kostya Kimlet
Think, Touch, Turn from Marlo/Malone
4 Cards to 4 Pockets (i think he calls it the Archer) from Danny Archer
Interlude from Woody Aragon
Higher Mentality from J B Bobo
and, yes, Ambitious Card (ends with the spectator cutting the deck to reveal my driver's license; their card is in my wallet where my driver's license should be. To me, this gives a reason for the card being in the wallet. If my driver's license is in the deck where their card should be....then it would make sense that their card is now in my wallet where the driver's license should be)
Multiple Selections with a bunch of different reveals
These would be just a few.
patrick
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 23:21, theamazingsauce wrote:
.... I don't know why but I have this strong fear of messing up and gimmicks make it easier for me. I really want to focus on practicing some effects with a regular deck and wanted to see what other people loved.

If you learn a basic cull and palm, you can take care of 99.99+ % of errors / accidents / liars without any problem.
My favorite ungaffed strolling trick is a quick card transposition or change such as a variation on Shawn McCree's Coldcut Transpo or Lee Smith's Icebreaker. Worthy mention to a thought of card as well. People always want to see more afterwards.
Charlie
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
ScottieKrause, you mentioned PaperClipped - and I'm wondering how you deal with the "dwindling deck" when you mutilate cards at every table. I used to do a folded card to impossible place at the tables, but I really don't like the feel of a 40-card deck in my hands after the first hour of working, and I don't want to reset my deck with new cards from a spare deck between every table. Yr thoughts?

As to the theamazingsauce's question - you ought to pick up a classic text like The Stars of Magic and find one trick in there that you love (Homing Card by Carlyle can't be beat), and practice it until you can do it in your sleep. Literally get it down to the point where your hands know what to do without you even thinking about it. Specifically, try doing the trick 10 times in a row with your eyes closed, try doing the trick 5 times at triple speed, do the trick 50 times a day at regular performance speed for one solid week (yes, keep count). And don't show it to anybody until you've done all that. Yes, this is hard work; but if you want to get over being nervous and using a Svengali deck as a security blanket, this is how you can do it. I imagine you won't be scared to do the trick if you follow those instructions Smile

After you've got great confidence with one sleight of hand card trick, after you're a complete virtuoso with it, adding more to your set list will be much easier.

Good luck!
Magic & Mentalism
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
^^^ you could get a deck of blank cards and have them sign a blank. or force a blank.

or carry around a bunch of duplicates and just force the card that you have spares of on you.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Hey Adam.

Thanks for your post... but forcing the same card over and over I'd get concerned that every table would see that the other tables also got the 9 of diamonds. I guess there's no reason it would have to be a forcing deck that the extra card comes from. Only catch is if somebody sees the other 2 of clubs or whatever during the routine. I like the idea of a blank card for the signature, but to me blank cards have always looked like trick cards. Maybe a joker for the signed card each time, and a King for the paperclipped card. Hm. Would really like to try PaperClipped at the tables, I'm sure it is devastating.

My best,
Jim
Magic & Mentalism
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Quote:
On 2013-01-02 17:46, jimvines wrote:
ScottieKrause, you mentioned PaperClipped - and I'm wondering how you deal with the "dwindling deck" when you mutilate cards at every table. I used to do a folded card to impossible place at the tables, but I really don't like the feel of a 40-card deck in my hands after the first hour of working, and I don't want to reset my deck with new cards from a spare deck between every table. Yr thoughts?

ScottieKrause,
I love performing the folded card to pocket, similarr to paperclipped, from experience I can tell you, that I don't do it at EVERY table, I tend to have 3 sets of 3 tricks... if I am strolling, I would only to card to pocket when there is a bigger crowd, maybe 5-6+ people... otherwise I will do something else... hope this helps
Sam
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
What about sam the bellhop, does anybody perform it?

I love the effect, not do it regulary, usually when a table ask me to return to them for another trick, I do it!
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I would suggest working on material that involves minimal sleight of hand. That way you can get comfortable without having to do move monkey routines (like Paul Harris's Reset for example). There's some great material on Lennart Green's DVD "Green Lite" among others.

To answer your original question: The Three Card Trick (Greg Wilson) or 51 Cards to Pocket (David Williamson)

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
S2000, that is a great list. Whats the best source to learn Ortiz's material, specifically those effects?