The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Stupid Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I have had a corporate gig booked for the past few months. It's on Monday. It’s nothing new, I have done these plenty of these in the past, 1 hour of walk around followed by a 30min parlor show. Here is the curve ball, which is new to me. The audience is being served dinner at 6:30, and I am on at 7:00 I am worried that a good chunk of my audience will still be eating by the time I take the stage. So do I completely change my planed show and have less audience participation, or do I do my show as I have scripted and hope they are done eating.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do what you have been paid to do. Your best show. This happens a LOT.

Just be confident in what you offer.

No need to over think it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3102 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Just curious and confused at the same time. Was the time frame talked about when booking the show?
Is it possible to move the show up a little so that people can finish their dinner?
I'm sure you want to put on a good quality show so cutting corners doesn't sound like a good idea, but if you have no recourse then you gotta do what you gotta do.
Good luck !!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
The times were talked about before hand; walk around from 5:30-6:30, and parlor piece from 7:00-7:30. It is partly my fault because I did not ask if they would be eating a meal. It’s often people are eating appetizers like those delicious mini barbeque meatballs. However meals have always been before or after my presentation. I did not even think to ask, I guess this is a question I need to add to my list when booking events.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Do your show. Half the people will be eating and talking, the other half will be watching you. Finish, take your check, and go home.

Jim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What I have done... If there are not pressing matters immediately following the show (for me or them), I suggest that they slightly delay my start time so that I begin as dessert and coffee are being served.

If doing this presents an issue, do as suggested above. You might even consider shifting a non-spectator helper routine to earlier in the show to give everyone a little buffer time to finish the meal before you start calling folks up.

For what it's worth, over the years, I have trimmed the amount of participation for adult audiences, regarding someone physically coming to the stage. (For a parlour show, "stage" is a loose term.)

But, I do have a number of things that happen that allow people to actively participate from their seats. If it is just as easy for me to take a step toward them to perhaps have them cut a rope or verify a prop, then it makes more sense for me to go to them, then them get up and come to me. I'm already up.

By doing this, I elevate the level of interaction, which is really the only reason you'd bring up a volunteer anyway.

Of course, if it would be something like Paper Balls Over the Head (which I don't do anyway), then it simply makes sense that someone has to come to the stage area.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Michael thank you so much,
I shifted the order of some effects and I will see what I can do to delay my start time. I already only call adults up on stage when needed. for this show most of it is now towards the end. (floating table & Rose, nest of boxes, Guillotine)

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Break a leg!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I always personaly loved to eat while watching a show.
and I think they would be also.knock em dead andy..
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Andy may I make a suggestion here.
you have 2 options as I see it.

go on as planned and or delay your start time and rearrange your show (which could lead to the guy that hired you wanting to know why your starting late and your show not flowing well OR

in my opinion a better solution- being that it appears your event is for tomorrow night once you arrive find the person in charge and basically tell him this.
I now understand that you are planning to eat at 6:30 with my show at 7pm...from experience I have learned that people eating at events such as this during my show does not work well. people want to chit chat and catch up with their friends while they eat. I see it as I am distracting them and they are distracing me during the show. would it be ok to wait till dessert is served to start the show. I feel that more people will enjoy the show at this point.

my goal is to provide you with the best entertainment experience. however I will start what ever time you wish.

this puts it on them to decide. meaning if they have you go on at 7 and no one is really paying attention to you its not your fault you explained this would happen. or he will see your point and trust you at the entertainer with experience and delay the start time a bit thus taking the pressure off you.

I have been in this situation many many times and I pretty much refuse to perform while people are eating (not at a themepark type setting) but these corporate gigs where there is a cocktail hour and then the meal. I have always pushed to have me entertain the walk around during the cocktail hour then give them all a break and eat then have the show. it has been a much better well received show in my opinion.

either way I wish you the best. enjoy and have fun.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 20:39, Sam Sandler wrote:
Andy may I make a suggestion here.
you have 2 options as I see it.

go on as planned and or delay your start time and rearrange your show (which could lead to the guy that hired you wanting to know why your starting late and your show not flowing well OR

in my opinion a better solution- being that it appears your event is for tomorrow night once you arrive find the person in charge and basically tell him this.
I now understand that you are planning to eat at 6:30 with my show at 7pm...from experience I have learned that people eating at events such as this during my show does not work well. people want to chit chat and catch up with their friends while they eat. I see it as I am distracting them and they are distracing me during the show. would it be ok to wait till dessert is served to start the show. I feel that more people will enjoy the show at this point.

my goal is to provide you with the best entertainment experience. however I will start what ever time you wish.

this puts it on them to decide. meaning if they have you go on at 7 and no one is really paying attention to you its not your fault you explained this would happen. or he will see your point and trust you at the entertainer with experience and delay the start time a bit thus taking the pressure off you.

I have been in this situation many many times and I pretty much refuse to perform while people are eating (not at a themepark type setting) but these corporate gigs where there is a cocktail hour and then the meal. I have always pushed to have me entertain the walk around during the cocktail hour then give them all a break and eat then have the show. it has been a much better well received show in my opinion.

either way I wish you the best. enjoy and have fun.

sam

Sam thanks for the time, and I already changed the order of a few things, and when I said I will see what I can do, that was me going to the director and asking if I can start as dinner is served, and explain as you have here. Thanks a lot guys

patrickmg
View Profile
New user
South Florida
57 Posts

Profile of patrickmg
The only thing I would change about your audience having a meal:
Just review your CPR training, especially about chocking...
You never know how powerfull your magic can stun someone ;-)
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Do your best and make this one THE best you ever did!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi Andy,

I have had this happen more times than I can count! But I've rarely had a problem with it, because basically I've just told them when I go on.

Planner:

"Okay, so we've going to serve dinner and then your show will start."

Me:

"Perfect! I'll go on when they clear the plates and coffee is served. That way they can eat dessert and watch the show. Can you just make an announcement for me to tell everyone to make a final washroom break and grab their dessert; and that the show will start in 5 minutes after? Thanks!"

Don't forget, the planner wants your show to be awesome! It'll make her/him look good. You just have to tell her how to make that happen (not while people are eating). I've found that everyone understands that.

Break a leg!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
As always I over think things, we did delay the show by only 10min, The show went great everyone had a great time, tons of compliments. Definitely earned my rate. I don't believe in a "perfect" show, overall I say 8/10 it's just little things here and there that the audience wouldn't notice. Handed out a few business cards and got a lead for a college gig. Overall a good night. Time to catch some Zzzz, have to work the real job in the morning. (It's the darn health I insurance that keeps me going back.)

MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Awesome. Congrats Andy.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2012, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Hi Andy,

I have had this happen more times than I can count! But I've rarely had a problem with it, because basically I've just told them when I go on.

Planner:

"Okay, so we've going to serve dinner and then your show will start."

Me:

"Perfect! I'll go on when they clear the plates and coffee is served. That way they can eat dessert and watch the show. Can you just make an announcement for me to tell everyone to make a final washroom break and grab their dessert; and that the show will start in 5 minutes after? Thanks!"

Don't forget, the planner wants your show to be awesome! It'll make her/him look good. You just have to tell her how to make that happen (not while people are eating). I've found that everyone understands that.

Break a leg!

Agree so much with Jamies comment but Andy has posted and it went well...

As a Professional Corporate Entertainer this happens all the time..and Jamies comments are the way to solve it on the night.
Never start your show until coffee served and the announcement and the audience all facing you works well, a great music intro played loud also gets the show off to a great start..

Glad the show went well Andy
PressureFan
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
I always mention that I prefer not to perform during food service.
Sometimes I send this bit;

"Performing magic while guests are eating or during food service is really challenging. Magic moments happen in an instant, and at any time many of your guests may be looking down at their plates or reaching for a glass. It doesn't compliment the food or the performance.
It can also be difficult for everyone to get a good view of the magician especially with round banquet tables. Surprisingly, people are reluctant to turn their chairs around to watch."

Has anyone else noticed this? Even once the dishes are cleared, there are always a few people that simply won't turn their chairs a bit to watch. (The worst is when people that have a good view of me turn their chairs around.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are having these problems with people not being willing to engage there are many reasons. Were they expecting a magician? If not it can seem a bit of an intrusion. Not your fault, but it is an issue.

But if you regularly have some people with a good view who turn away it is possible that maybe looking at exactly what you are doing might be in order. Magic in this environment is not easy and requires different approaches than in restaurants. I am not saying what you are doing is bad, or is not engaging I am suggesting that perhaps it is just not right for that specific environment.

Think a little bit about your material. It may be a solution.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Audiences at round tables at corporate events is pretty common but I guess over the years Ive been lucky as If the CEO announces to turn your chair around as the Entertainment is starting so far so good as never had a problem and once the music and comedy is under way the show works but I have heard many stories where it can be a major headache but as Danny says it may be material or structure of your show or does the audience even know whats on etc