The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Pre-sell idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'm not doing table hopping so may be way out in left field.

At Walmart I noticed a palmsize keychain photo display device that holds 100 photos downloaded from your PC ($12) I could envision having a little Slide show intro of yourself and perhaps a menu of twenty 'popular' effects you are prepared to perform. You have a couple of these to be left by the hostess at each new table. When you arrive they would know who you are, know that you are a magician, and have some suggestion of what effects they would like to see.

Of course, you get the device back and vanish it -- then hand it off to the hostess.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Awesome idea
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
A quick check - $9.99 from Amazon, and places like Walgreens and Target carry some too.

Great title slides can be made with PowerPoint and saved as jpegs, then scaled down
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Killer idea!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
That keychains are very nice!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
DCURTHRABE
View Profile
New user
Burbank, IL
78 Posts

Profile of DCURTHRABE
While I believe that this device may have some strong possibilites as a promotional tool, I also believe that the device will not last very long in the resturant enviorment (spills, sticky hands & of course kids!)
I'm also having a problem with the concept of my audience ordering magic off an electronic menu, as I want my audience to wonder what will happen next and the effect to be a total suprise.
just my 2 cents.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Sounds like a wonderful idea!

I'd be more comfortable with out it, though. Just walking up and doing your thing. I like to know what routines I'm going to do before hand.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I like the idea of useing those chains in magic - but personally, I don't like the idea of handing over my autonomy to the audience - I like to decide what effect to do and when and if I had a digital "menu of magic" it would become a nightmare for resets and pre-preperation.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I wouldn't want my audience to dictate to me what they want to see. They want to have fun and I provide it. That's the only say they get.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
I guess I was thinking more of shots you you doing effects so that you got a feeling whether they liked rings, cards, whatever. A list of effect names wouldn't mean anything -- just preference ideas.

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3535 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I think this has possibilities, especially if you want to "frame" an effect in a certain manner. a visual frame of reference outside of the context of performing could be a valuable way to make a certain idea about a trick "gel" in your spectators memories...

also, I can almost visualize a situation where you would want to build up a visual expectation in the spectator's mind -perhaps to lead them down the garden path to an even bigger surprise?

Either way, this could be a very valuable tool for some!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I like this idea and I feel that you have brought up something we could all use some how. Theres been many topics in the Café about weather you advertise your self as a magician for hire and the things you supply why at a venue. Obliviously it between you and the person hires you. However the idea I am having is get some of these and put a few photos of me and the crowd having a good time at hat venue. Then I would put a couple of photos from my summer festival and one of me doing parlour show. Also put your web address on it.

There a idea for you to shake around this could be a good marketing tool. Cheers for the tip.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
For a marketing tool to reach an agent, for about $40-60 you can get one with 31/2X5 photos, music and voice overs. Of course, on those notebooks you cna havea 2 hr movie of your whole performance -- a a series of clips of "best effects." If these get too good, though, a restaurant can just put one on every table and you can stay home ;-)

aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
How about you upload a photo of every card - except for their chosen card and they can flick though and see the only card there is their 'freely' chosen card missing.

Then which you say;

"this card is special and as such I wanted something more tangable than a digital photo - under your seat is an envelope and inside is a photograph I placed there last month"
you get the idea Smile