The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: New gig, any advice on pitfalls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I just landed a new gig where I will be table hopping at a hotel for a hosted cocktail hour. Two hours a night once per week to entertain the guests while they unwind after the day.

Demographics are supposed to be 35-50 year old business persons, but there will be families at times as well.

I have my routines down and have done a bit of strolling (mostly private parties). Just looking to draw on some of the vast experience here.
Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
funmagic
View Profile
New user
Patrick Cordier
29 Posts

Profile of funmagic
You didn't say what routines you have in mind, however, I would suggest that you keep them short and lighthearted with plenty of comedy. You say the patrons are there to unwind, so try not to overpower them with heavy material. And don't forget to have a few items ready to entertain any youngsters who are there with their parents. I love family groups and usually make Balloon animals for the kids, a rose made from a serviette for mum and a torn and restored business card for dad. I use my business card for this and have had quite a few Birthday Party bookings from the family by doing this.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
The routines I usually do while strolling include, A rope routine (cut and restored with a nightmare of an ending), one coin flurry routine, chop cup routine, (if a surface is available), and jiggernaught, as well as several quickie type effects, Scoth and soda (a no gimick version I picked up from someone... Now who has a good no gimmick version?) Short hop, card warp. etc you get the idea. I feel good with the material.

Thanks for your input. I intend to keep it light-hearted. Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
MagicalChris
View Profile
New user
Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of MagicalChris
Hey, sounds like a cool place to work. If there is a smoking area you work out.. maybe get a pocket smoke and put it in there, then have a fake sig, on hand, borrow theirs and switch it out.. (cig vanisher?) then put it in there, flip the switch and have smoke come out.. then make it re-appear or somthing. (I haven't done this, but have heard great things and reactions) also if there are smokers, there is always cig through coin, and cig through card etc.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mr. Ed,
You seem to have it all together, as far as routines and outlook go.
So I don't know that there's a whole lot I can add, except to say that you have to be ready to end your routine at any time (if some long, lost friend arrives at the table or some other reason you have to cut it short).
But you already say that your routines are short and suggest that they are segmented so you should be okay.
So, just go out there and have fun!
If you have fun, your audience will, too.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Thanks for all the advice.

First, Chris, I live in California, and there is no smoking in California. I do want to learn some cig effects though because they would be great for crayons, but maybe later. Next, Peter, thank you for your advice. After reading most of what you and several others have posted here at the Cafe, I have restructured my routines to take that into account.

Last, but not least. Steve, that is what I am worried about, regulars. This is why I only agreed to one night a week. Most people stay 2-4 nights and Doc. I am not. I do have one out though. The hotel hosts this function every night of the week, and is required to have a Manager as a host. therefore, I am technically the host.

I can of course just talk to people if they do not want to see or have already seen my magic. It is, I think, a great opportunity for me to work out in front of strangers, but no manager scrutinizing my value to the orginization. Well I'm very excited to say the least. Everyone should be so lucky to have this opportunity when they are starting out in this type of venue.
He who laughs, lasts.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Read my Pro-Files column on Visions, where I address these types of shows.

http://www.online-visions.com
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Scott I have read all of your stuff on visions. I have taken a lot of advice, from many sources, into consideration before makeing this move. Thank you. By the way congratulations on your... promotion? I see you are now staff.
He who laughs, lasts.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Thanks. I guess that would be what's known as a "lateral promotion." Same pay, but a lot more responsibility!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page