The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Your opinions, please... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Have any of you "out there" tried the effect "Your Name Here" by Adam Rubin? It is the appearing or changing name tag...I am considering it, and would like to hear from you...

Thanks! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I haven't tried it but I have seen it -- and was not particularly impressed.
First of all, it's "fiddly" to handle correctly.
But most importantly, it's just not very magical; in fact, it's fairly obvious to all but the most inattentive.
See it demo'd once and you'll be able to figure out your own way of doing it.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
I have that one. It isn't that great, at the best of times it gets a mild reaction from an audience, and as Peter said it IS quite "fiddly"
You might be able to find a good use if you use the right presentation and patter.
I don't use mine that often these days.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1605 Posts

Profile of Jared
Adam Rubin's 'Your Name Here' sounds like a table-hoppers dream as far as an opening
'type' effect because it's quick, visual and gets your name out there.

The trouble is, that the method is rather obvious. I haven't tinkered with it too much but I may have stumbled upon something last night that might bring the effect full circle.

I was browsing through Michael Kaminskas book, 'Next Victim Please' and I came across an effect entitled 'Hello'. Basically, it is a prediction effect whereby the spectator ends-up with a prediction in his hand and when the card is turned over-the back of the card has a 'Hello- my name is' decal on the back with the SPECTATOR'S name.

The trick is very easy to perform and the gimmick took only about 5-minutes to make.
So what I'm thinking is to affix the SAME decals on the badge so the tag I'm wearing matches the one on the spectators card.

The advantages to this are:
(1) the sound is reduced, and
(2) the method appears less obvious
(at least from my eyes it appeared that way).

Now, I have the challange of tying these effects together into a logical presentation (in other words, the REAL work).

Just the same, I spent twenty bucks on the thing and feel that I might be able to put together an opening sequence of a routine together.

Like most of you, I was very disappointed, somewhat disappointed with the method and overall effect. I expected much more and am still not convinced it will 'fly'. Moreover, the booklet contained many routines that I won't bother even trying. I figure that if I can't get the bread and butter routine going than maybe the thing isn't for me.

Another quick tip... use a permanant marker because YOUR name will smudge-guaranteed!

-Jared

....More on 'Your Name Here'.

Buyer beware, I returned my first tag because one of the 'mechanisms' fell off but I received another one in exchange for the defective. Last night, the same thing happend again!

My patience is running thin.

- Jared
majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
My problem is, it's a re-make of a supreme magic co trick, from the UK, with no credit, at least not in the ads. I own one of the orginal's. And it never broke. And no it's not one of Edwin's best.

Randy AIMC, with Silver Star
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star