The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Dan Garrett's Sponge Pickle Routine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Anyone using this as part of their walk around set? Just curious as to how well you like the props and what the audience reaction to pickles is.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I’ve done Garrett’s sponge pickle bit since Dan first put them out almost two decades ago. It is his take or update of earlier version sold by some magic shops using rubber hotdogs.

I learned the “move” using rubber cigars. It was a routine that I bought from Douglas Magicland (Dallas, TX) in the very early 60’s.

When Dan started to put out his banana and his pickle version I jumped on it. I was doing a ton of kid shows and wanted a nice, visual, and silly warm up trick. It fit the bill.

The Pickles are the version to buy (in my opinion), as they are more near the size of a small pickle. The carrots and bananas are way to miniature to be anything but a foam prop.

I produce several pickles using the “move” in a kind of misers dream routine. I drop them into a bag as I produce them. The bag was shown empty at the end of the routine.

Hope this helps.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Harry, thanks for the feedback. I had the same opinion as you did on Pickles versus the other sponge props. Also I've never seen anyone in my area to it with Pickles so I'd rather be different anyway. In any event I have a set on order to arrive next week followed by some time invested to get smooth with the routine.

Merry Xmas!
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
John,
How has your routine come along? I have a set now too since Christmas and want to work up the routine to add to a school show. Seems to me the kids would love the silliness of the whole thing. I also have the baby pickle surprise and haven't gotten that far yet. Have you tried it on an audience yet? How did it go?

Chris
KellyW
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of KellyW
I a, looking for sponge pickles. Does anyone know who might be selling them?
Kelly
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You might try Dan Garrett himself. However you'll have to email him about availability. He is phasing out his foam rubber product line as taking to long to make.

http://www.dangarrettmagic.com/magic-for-magicians-only.html

Or try Randi Rain at:
https://www.raincloudmagic.com/multiplying-magic/

She makes some killer supper props just for this trick. Including the Rubber Pickles. I have her Cigars and they are fantastically real looking.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Randi Rain makes some fantastic sponge items! Love them!!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Alexander May also makes lots of sponge products...

https://alexander-may.com/alexander_may_sponge_magic.html

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Wasn't there a routine along the lines of the pickle trick called EENEE MEENEE WEENEE (with hot dogs) that had a rubber fish as a finale'?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Memory FLASH

I think the hot dog/fish finale' trick was the inspiration of Dick Stoner (Indiana?)
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
June:

CORRECT.

That was a GREAT trick and I used it all the time until I literally wore it out. The last time I saw Dick Stoner (at Abbott's a few years back) he told me that he couldn't get the right rubber hot dogs for the trick any more and had to discontinue it. The first time I saw it performed by the late Gene DeVoe in St. Louis in the 60's I knew I had to have one.