The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Where to keep it all? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheMagician
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of TheMagician
Hello,
When you are doing walk around magic at a restaurant or corporate gig where do you keep all the extra supplies/tricks you aren't using?

Thank you!
-Robert
...The Magician
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In a foam-lined case hidden away, but where I can get to it easily.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Unless you have direct control, a locked case is best. People do have an interest in peeking and some would take the whole thing, not realizing you had several hundred or even thousands of dollars in props inside.
Treat your case the way a lady treats her purse when it has money in it and you will be ok.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Great Question!

When I do a gig, I find a secure place can return to for supplies in my close-up case.
Sometimes this is behind a bar, in an office, etc. Then just keep an eye on the spot where you left your stuff! In other words, hid your case. Get to it quick if you need to.

Bascomb
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I keep the props in a lockable catalog case. You can find inexpensive ones for $30 at an office supply store. I keep it where I can access it quickly, but it must not be in anyone's way.
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
I too keep my supplies in a lockable cataloge case. It seems to work the best for me because you don't have to place it on its side to get into it. There was a time that I used a sports bag for supplies as well. The bag should be locked and some place you can get to when you need to restock.
Smile
MagicRMA
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Honestly, there are no “extra” supplies or unused tricks when I do walk around. Everything I need for the evening is organized in my sports coat, pants and a very small bag (pouch) that hooks to my belt (under the coat toward the rear). Everything used is returned to its place upon completion of the effect. I tend to select self-resetting effects, i.e., tricks that are reset as part of the routine.

I don’t have a balloon look either, I use Kamm Pocket Organizers and don’t carry all that much (there is a discussion under “Where to put it all” called “Exactly what do you do you keep in your close-up case” where I outline the load for one evenings work). My jacket falls flat (or as flat as my pot belly lets it!).

Frankly, I don’t need to carry a lot to do walk around in a restaurant. Six different tricks can give me over a dozen different acts (three or four routines per act) by combining the various tricks differently. I don’t tend to use consumables except perhaps a paper napkin, which will be available at the venue (if not then I don’t do that trick!).

What’s on me is what I am going to use. By the way, I do a signed card to wallet and only carry one deck. I just use a deck that is short a card (or several cards as the evening goes on). No one has ever complained that the deck was a card or three short. In fact I doubt if anyone has ever noticed.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I prefer to have with me a few effects that I don't always want to carry with me, so I have a lockable case placed behind a bar or in a office, but most importantly.. out of the way.. remember that anything you place in this case you must be prepared to lose, or have stolen, so don't keep your Johnson Copper Silver Brass coins in there.. I try to get the establishment to give me some small space where I can privately reset if needed.. I like Harry prefer to have self-reseting tricks, but I don't limit myself to what I can carry. Since I have a tendancy to use special occasion tricks once a night, I don't carry them on me. But you have to decide.. it a personal preferance..
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I just go in with a thumb tip--I can do four hours of salt vanishes and they never tire of it.

Just kidding.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Smile

OK, Ron, I know you were just kidding about the four hour. So…how many hours of salt pour do you really do? And what else?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I agree with harry, The restaraunt is paying me to go from table to table not table to closet to table to closet. When doing walk around you should have whatever you need in the pockets.

I will keep a couple of bigger things in the car in case the manager has a special someone they wanted to impress. In that case a manager ould not say anything about you stepping outside.

Mat
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Exactly! Mat and mumble...oops, sorry, Harry are right -- if you have too much to carry in your pockets, then you have too much, period.
Bar/restaurant table-hopping, strolling, whatever, is not the place for close-up mats, side tables, or cases/bags with your performing gear inside.
Oh, sure, there will be those who say that they do some or all of the above and do it well. That's probably true.
There are also ballet dancers who can do spot welding, too!
But not a lot of them!!!
alex keal
View Profile
New user
Whiteford, Maryland
35 Posts

Profile of alex keal
when I was able to get around and do table hopping, I used a Close-Up Carrier by American Magic co. (now manufactured by Helene's Magic in Philadelphia) It tucks in the inside jacket pocket and hangs down with enough pockets to work from for any performer. And it is true that you only need a few really good effects. Too many magicians today carry briefcases full of magic, some of which they never use. Practice a good 15 minute set, then break that down into a couple of segments and then go table to table. After all you are not there for a full hour at each table, just to keep people entertained while they wait for their meal.
All the Best
Alex
card crazy
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I have a makeup case (from Target)it is black canvas and lots of room with pockets and zipped areas. it is about 8" long 6" wide and 6" deep just about big enough to fit a six pack of soda. I have a bag of balloons and extra cards both playing and business. My comment cards, extra rubber bands, asprin, band aids, sharpie markers, extra sponge balls, extra thumb tip, extra coins, breath mints, my invoice for the night, nail clippers, a small sample of cologne and a few back up effect. I only have to go to my bag maybe once in three hours and thats to fill up my fanny pack with balloons. The reason for the bags is I am prepared for anything. The case is very small and no one ever sees it on the bottom self in server area.
The makeup bag is great it has lots of holders inside to hold makeup thats just the right size for tt's or what ever it keeps my stuff very organized.
You can think you have everything in your pockets or on yourself but if you do walk around magic allot then you should be ready for anything to happen because it will. Like kids tearing your sponge balls or it rolling off the table and you can't find it. You forget your thumb tip. the Dlite battery dies, your string breaks (ring and string routine) loose the balls for the chop cup, I sometimes have 3 cards signed at 1 table do this 4 time you need a new deck. I think you'll see why I carry a case I'm Glad I do because it has saved me a few times.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I agree that you can carry what you need in your pockets. But, I generally have my full close up case out in the car "just in case." In some situations, where returning to the car may be too time consuming, I bring it in. I prefer to leave it with someone (locked, of course) like a receptionist or office manager. I've had very few problems with theft over the years. I did once leave a Chop Cup inside a little bar unit on a shelf when I took a break. When I came back it was gone. But that was my own stupidity, really.
When I go to private gigs to do close up, I always carry my "big little show." These are things which fit into a small case but can play big. Occasionally the situation does not work out well for strolling close up. (Too small a group and as soon as you start to do a trick the whole room stops what they are doing and watches.) In that case, I can switch to doing a "show."
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
If it don't go in yer pockets, leave it at home!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2002-11-13 14:53, Ron Giesecke wrote:
I just go in with a thumb tip--I can do four hours of salt vanishes and they never tire of it.

Just kidding.

Ron, I thought you were going to say that you keep all your extra props in your thumbtip.

So, here I am laughing at a joke you didn't even make. Man, you're funny!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
burk504
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of burk504
Quote:
On 2002-11-19 09:25, Dennis Loomis wrote:
When I go to private gigs to do close up, I always carry my "big little show." These are things which fit into a small case but can play big. http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html

Dennis, is it too much to ask what your "big little show" contains?
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
I carry all my props in a lockable attache case. In my regular venues, I have an office or secure place to keep my attache. In the one time only places, I try to find the same. Sometimes behind the bar. Sometimes with the band or DJ. There are certain venues where there is no secure place to keep my bag. In those instances, I carry a small bicycle chain with its own combination lock. I simply attache the bag to any non movable object. It will not stop a real thief from stealing the whole bag. It will stop the person that would just pick it up & walk away with it. It is easier to pick up something else that is not attached rather than try to break the handle off the case. That would attract attention & that is not what the the casual thief wants to attract.
I know this may sound paranoid, but I have never had a bag stolen & I know others that have had that misfortune. Again, this is only for the rare instance that there is no place else to keep it safely.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Showing up with ONLY what you're using is a bad idea. One deck of cards? What if they get damaged or something spills on them? Ya gotta have a back-up plan in my opinion. Even if that means just having an extra deck and a few coins in your car.