The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Writing a "Cover Letter" to get a gig. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I would like to write a cover letter to a restaurant about the benefits of having a magician perform at their establishment.

I've done a lot of strolling magic and this particular restaurant requires a letter.

Does anyone have any standard things that can/should be put into such a letter?

I plan on including:
What I will say when I approach the table.
What I will do when food arrives.
When I will approach a table.
My rate.

Benefits
Performing for people waiting to be seated.
Performing for tables when the food is late.

Any other ideas? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Frank:

This can be tough. I wonder why they want the letter? Seems odd. Do you give a brochure out? I hope this works out for you!

Think about the needs the restaurant may have that you may not have identifed. This may be need that only this particular restaurant has.

I work at a place that is so busy, they do not need me for anything. They have a wonderful reputation. The way I sold myself was this.

I said hiring me is a way you can spend money on your customers as a way to thank them for visiting the establishment. Believe it or not, this is the idea that sold him. He wanted a way to tell his customers how much he appreaciated them and their patronage. He didn't care about my benefits, rates, or past resume'. The owner just wanted to address "his" perceived need.

So my advice, find something you can provide that someone else cannot.

Bascomb

P.S. Redding is the Monster Truck capitial of the world. Shasta County is the per capita pickup capital of the world! you would fit right in.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I didn't quite think of that angle. That's a good one slant on the concept. Thanks Bascomb.

Frank

p.s. I'm working on my grumbly deep voice and my ... "Be There! BE There! BE THERE!"
kind of talking. Maybe I should buy a gun to be more macho.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Go to see the restaurant manager yourself. It is much better that writing a letter. There is very good column in last months Magic by Jim Sisti, How to Get Work in Restaurants. It is really worth getting.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Personally I have always provided a brochure, and recently I have had a 6 minute video produced. Give them an idea of what you can do for them. I, like bascomb have used their percieved need in my favor. I can fill in the long wait times, sing happy birthday (especially since servers hate doing it) and other ideas.. I'm not just a magician, I provide shootouts, poety, and so forth, find out what they are really looking for and them give it to them. Good Luck!
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I did see the restaurant manager. He likes the idea but wants something to show the owner as opposed to saying, "Well, there's this magician..."

I agree, a brochure is a good idea. I wonder if any of the restaurant books have a sample brochure.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
My brochure includes pictures of me with patrons, descriptions of a few routines (one sentence desrcptions), and recommendations from previous clients. For the Wagonmaster (the current restaraunt I work for) I had some real prominent community figures call and send letters as well.

And for the final clincher, if you really want this one, offer a free night. Make sure the owner is there to watch. There is no better cover letter than you personally. I know that's not what you had in mind, but keep it as an option.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Thanks cowboy!

I also just checked The Restaurant Worker's Handbook and there is a sample letter though it could be better but it has a lot of good ideas to add to the letter; some of which have been described here.

Thanks.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Now that you have my curiousity, you'll have to tell us how it all goes!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Fstarinic-

If you really want to write a cover letter check out the book, The Ultimate Sales Letter, by Dan Kennedy. This book isn't magic related, but the concepts are solid. No one is going to hire you unless you prove that you can meet some of their needs. The tricky part is: they probably don't realize they have the needs and you need to bring this to light. Go to your local bookstore and sift throught the sales/marketing section and you will provide more than enough information. Just like anything else it comes down to selling yourself, no matter the service you provide.

best of luck-
Dave
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
By day, I'm a copywriter and write sales letters all the time for clients. PM me if you want some help.

Cheers

ML