The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Magicians Wax (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pseudotheo
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
18 Posts

Profile of pseudotheo
I am wondering if anyone knows a good site for purchasing magician's wax?
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
MagicMax, not real fond of most of their stuff, but magic wax is one of their fetured items.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Buy dental wax at the drug store. Same stuff, but its sterile and mint flavored. No one questions the box either, because it doesn't say "Magic Wax". Tell the overly curious you have a chipped tooth.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Mahlstrom
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Mahlstrom
There is a substance called "stickum" sold in the US. It is used to "glue" candles into the holder and works like a charm.

-Mahlstrom
Dr Dark
View Profile
New user
North West UK
55 Posts

Profile of Dr Dark
don't know how well known this is but in hot countries like the ones I work in a lot, we use the red wax covering you get on babybell cheese as it stays at just the right maliabilty ( if that's the word ). It is also easy to get hold of at short notice.

Works fine in cold climates too but needs to be warmed in the hand a little before use. not bad cheese either.

Doc.
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Wow Doc,

That's brilliant, and my kids love the cheese!
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Another decent source (at least what I use) is a hobbyshop... dollhouse wax for holding all the little furniture in place.
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
I use dental wax that i have left over from when I had braces.. Now if only i could say my teeth were straight. Smile
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
I use two forms:-

Dental wax which is quite good but is rather soft - however it does work.

Beeswax (Hard) which I have managed to acquire from drysalters in the UK. This is ideal but does take some initial working to get a pliable consistency.

I prefer the latter for the floating note as the thread is less prone to detach itself from the wax.

MikeM Smile Smile
MagiclDave
View Profile
New user
Maryland
50 Posts

Profile of MagiclDave
Just buy some from your local magic shop, it is quite cheap.

-Dave Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I have a wild tip for you guys that is not really well known and if you can find 'some' of what I am going to describe you will love it.

Long before the advent of computer publishing everything was done on typesetting machines if you wanted a really GOOD-looking publication. When you got your type from the typesetter is was usually WAXED on the back to facilitate layout, etc. Well, this wax that was used by typesetters ROCKS as magicians wax!

Here's the deal. There is really no reason anymore for this stuff, but if you look around you might be able to find some in an old print shop, etc. See if they have any and want to sell it. A couple of small boxes of this stuff will last you a lifetime. It roughly corresponds to HARD magicians wax, but has such a tackiness that it will work for Card on Ceiling also! Very cool.

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Chazpro has the best price on wax. Funny thing, this guy I work with needed some dental wax for his braces and I always tell everyone to buy dental wax, but mine was at home. When I looked in my desk drawer there were two nickels with a wafer of magic wax in between them. He said he didn't care so I gave him the wafer of magic wax. He came back later and wanted to know where I bought the wax, because he said it was better than the stuff he had. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I think the best place to get wax is at downloadmagic.com. If you buy the soucre it comes with two tricks and were to get IT and wax. The tricks are Fearson's thoughts on the healed and Sealed. There is also his floating cig.

I hope this helps Smile
mip
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mip
Is wax useful to other things than IT magic?
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I've actually found string wax from an archery supply store to work quite well for me (guess what one of my other hobbies is...). I don't do a lot of IT work though, I use it for other things so it might be too sticky for IT.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Mister Hyde
View Profile
New user
New York City
87 Posts

Profile of Mister Hyde
Making magician's was is a piece of cake, beats me how people would even bother buying it at a dealer. Save that money for a good TT or something. In case its a big deal, PM if you want to know how to easily make your own.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Mister Hyde, I perform card on the ceiling and also use wax for some IT work. I tried some of the ideas on this thread...namely the "stickum" for holding candles. It works well for card on the ceiling, as it is very tacky, but too soft for IT work.
So I decided to experiment by melting "stickum" and candle wax together to get a stiffer wax. It did not work very well.
I'll will P.M. you for your idea.
Thanks,
Rich B.
ArchMiro
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, Colorado
59 Posts

Profile of ArchMiro
There are lots of good effects for Magicians Wax that don't involve IT.

And yes, dental wax works quite well. Though I've developed a fondness for bees wax as of late as well.

Smile
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Rich B,

Please tell me how "stickum" has worked for you. And who's handling do you use for COC?
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur