The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: What is your latest opener for strolling guys? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Eugene Burger's opener would have been his mysterious aura. He is immediately interesting as soon as he opens his mouth and can get people hooked in before any magic is needed.
To analyse how he uses it as an opener, we would need to see his script, as that would no doubt be the most important part.
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
I usually start with some fan shuffles and a one handed shuffle then do the ambitious card. The few flourishes really set you apart from their uncle Fred that does a couple of card tricks.

Steve
dannywu
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dannywu
I usually open with acaan followed by Osterlind's Card calling.
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, steve ehlers wrote:
I usually start with some fan shuffles and a one handed shuffle then do the ambitious card. The few flourishes really set you apart from their uncle Fred that does a couple of card tricks.

Steve

That reminds me that I think Jay Sankey said on a DVD that his favorite opener was to spring the cards. That one flourish set him apart from "Uncle Fred" (not that there's anything wrong with being an uncle, a Fred, or an Uncle Fred).

I don't do very many flourishes. Still, I think these are interesting ideas/approaches.

Jay
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, David Fillary wrote:
Eugene Burger's opener would have been his mysterious aura. He is immediately interesting as soon as he opens his mouth and can get people hooked in before any magic is needed.
To analyse how he uses it as an opener, we would need to see his script, as that would no doubt be the most important part.

Here is some of the exchange between Burger and Kaufman in The Performance of Close-Up Magic:

Eugene: . . . Now, a lot of times I use this [the Haunted Deck] as my opener when I do walkaround. I go over to the corner, get hooked up, walk up to the people with the deck of cards in my hand. I spread the cards between my hands, look at the people and smile, and say, "I'm the magician...." I count silently to three and add, "well, someone has to do it," they laugh and then I ask someone to pick a card. I do this as an opening trick and as an opener it's great because there's no problem of getting set up, you're already set up, and the thing is so magical that they suddenly realize that you're an "I-mean-business magician" as opposed to someone who's going to bore them.

Richard: As opposed to Uncle Geek.

Eugene: That's right.

That's all that was said at that point. I don't know if Eugene uses the spirits-make-the-deck-move-and-find-the-card themed presentation detailed in The Performance of Close-Up Magic in strolling situations or if he uses a different presentation in that context.

It seems to me that Eugene uses the Haunted Pack routine kind of like other people use flourishes, to show that you're not going to be a boring magician, an Uncle Geek/Fred.

All interesting ideas. Since The Performance of Close-Up Magic was published in 1987, I'd have figured that some other magicians would have also tried the routine as an opener in strolling work. But, perhaps not.

One more thing -- I think Eugene Burger's books and DVDs are fantastic. If you don't have The Performance of Close-Up Magic, I'd highly recommend picking it up. You can read about the Haunted Pack, Eugene's presentation for it, and a whole lot more good stuff. Smile

Jay
MJG
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MJG
As a few have mentioned above I also like to open with conversation to get people to like me initially and so in their eyes I become more than just the guy performing tricks.

I used to often open with something direct and mind boggling like the invisible deck (presented with a more mentalism style) but recently I found when performing impromptu on nights out for friends of friends I would get great reactions by placing an envelope containing a playing card in their hand and then simply forcing the card by equivoque on them (This was brought about as I don't always like carrying a deck of cards on a night out for one reason or another) I found the reactions were really strong so I've now brought this into my walkabout set and it's gone down a treat..so simple as well!

If I'm doing tables depending on the setting (noise level, size of table etc) and the type of people at the table, I will either open with something like Colin Mcleods 'By Association' or for something a little more light hearted I will use Andy Nymans 'Big Reaction'
dzen871
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dzen871
My opening for the last few monthes - and I am strolling every week for few hours at least - I come to a group,without anything in the hands, introduce myself. Then I say, usually to a girl: "Please, Hold your hand like that", placing Ultra-mental aka ID on her hand. "I feel you have a special gift or power. We will test if you are psyhic or not. In this deck one card is reversed,you can move your another hand around the deck, try to feel what is the name of the card. If you will name it correctly we will move together to psyhic tv-show". She names one card, it's really reversed, I am joking about how good she is and how she knew that?!
For me it does few things - breaks the ice, she is doing trick not me, I compliment her,set a playful mood.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Dzen871 - thank you for that presentation, it is fantastic!
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
267 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I like to open with a fast quick routine to test the people. Usually something where they can just watch without holding anything. For Example, The Invisible Deck. If they seem unpleasant or unresponsive, I move on. If they seem friendly and look like they enjoy the Magic, then I follow it up with something which may require them to hold something to get them more involved. I choose most Magic which is instantly reset, angle proof and easy to do and carry. This is how I roll! Cheers!
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, dzen871 wrote:
My opening for the last few monthes - and I am strolling every week for few hours at least - I come to a group,without anything in the hands, introduce myself. Then I say, usually to a girl: "Please, Hold your hand like that", placing Ultra-mental aka ID on her hand. "I feel you have a special gift or power. We will test if you are psyhic or not. In this deck one card is reversed,you can move your another hand around the deck, try to feel what is the name of the card. If you will name it correctly we will move together to psyhic tv-show". She names one card, it's really reversed, I am joking about how good she is and how she knew that?!
For me it does few things - breaks the ice, she is doing trick not me, I compliment her,set a playful mood.

"Hi. I'm Niccolo, and you appear to be the Magician for the evening (LOL)v... please hold you hand like this ..."
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
Though I have not done this personally I do think it is a great opener for restaurant. Steve Spill made a fake plate of spaghetti with three hollow opening that he could put sponge balls in. He would walk up to a table and say "who ordered the spaghetti?" he then sat it on the table and went into his sponge ball routine. Simple and effective and the psychology behind it is brilliant; first you are breaking into the guest space with a question which is relevant holding a plate, then you create a moment of confusion that forces them to interact with you for the moment breaking the ice and dropping their guard totally, then there is a humorous outcome as you set the plate down.

I can see that moment where they will chuckle and realize that you are there to create mass havoc and pandemonium for their entertainment. I would not be surprised at all if every guest talked about this long after they totally forgot the 45 phase ambitious card routine we are all so proud of. Smile
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Hi guys - I have a new effect out called Duo which I use as my opener. It’s a copper silver coin routine that is highly visual, short and punchy, instantly reset, and is all in your hands. Lots of magic happens in a short space of time - a great attention getter and instantly announces your arrival!
Magically,

Website - www.sgmagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Check out "Tap Three Times" on Lybrary.com. It is a multi-phase impromptu routine using three borrowed quarters or similar coins.
No gaffs and completely surrounded. Only moderate skill required. All movements are natural, i.e. what a lay person would so in handing a coin.

The advantage is that you can appraise the audience interest and appreciation of magic as a prelude for your favorite effects - or not.
and -- you can train the observers as to Patterns you might use in later sleights.

NEW? Nope, I have been doing all the component modules for decades, some more that 20,000 times with business owners over the last 60 years.
The combination/series as an opener started in 2001 and used dozens of times. The problem is that my increasing disabilities restrict the opportunities.

So, I am releasing many Techniques and Methods that I kept to myself that are ideal for Table Hopping and Walk round.
Many use "found objects" rather than coins. Write me ken@eversway.com if you have a special interest and I can direct you to the best eBook release.

Some can even use the Secret Servante Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
Quick card force and then reveal that the rest of the deck blank.
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
Dlites-Sponges
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
TT bent penny. Ask for a spec to provide penny. Then it bends in their hand.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Though, the first trick I usually do is Pointless, my actual ice breaker is my sponge Horse made by Eddie Ace. And sometimes when I am at repeat annual events I switch it up with Eye Popper by Scott Alexander.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
466 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I always open with sponge rabbits. Where it's adults or kids they both love them.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
267 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I actually like opening with, "Hello!" Introduce yourself. That is the best opener you can have!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2022, vincentmusician wrote:
I actually like opening with, "Hello!" Introduce yourself. That is the best opener you can have!

I would like think this is standard for majority of performers, you? Maybe be the question then becomes what actual routine do you do after introducing yourself?
Check out Bafflingbob.com