The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: What would you do? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1122 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I remember Ammar saying something along the lines of teaching someone a simple magic trick creates friendships.

I would certainly be okay with taking a few moments to guide them with stuff that’s available at magic shops, especially since they’ve been to Tannen’s. Dude legitimately seems like he’s looking to further his interests in magic. Obviously I wouldn’t teach exclusive trade secrets that I may know, but then again I wouldn’t do that for other more serious magicians either unless they have earned it.

I remember working an Ivy League college event and a gal asked for contact information so that I could email her sources to learn Shadow Coins and Matrix types of routines as she had dabbled in magic as a youngster and she wanted to rekindle her hobby. Life got in the way so I never took the time to provide that little bit of inspiration and knowledge. An older wiser me would have found the time.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
If you belong to a local magic club, one way to deflect these requests is to point them in that direction. Tell them when and where the magic club is and if they come to the club, you'll be happy to show them some magic they can perform.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
I wish I could join a local magic club but right now, 3 boys playing ice hockey, full time day job and the magic gigs on the side just doesn't allow me to. Ever since I started Facebook and got my website up for the magic, I have been very fortunate and blessed in getting a lot more bookings. Just don't have time to stop and smell the roses. But I wouldn't change a thing, my boys and performing are my light in this world!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
First of all, I think its bad form to even ask another working magician for his secret, no matter what level of interest they have in the art. I have asked other magicians if they could steer me in the right direct before, like would you mind sharing what book I could purchase, etc.

And this answers the question, 'what would I do.' If he knows about Tannen's I'd give him the name of the effect so he could purchase it. That is helping in my book.

Most of us here have spent our whole lives reading books, going to lectures and conventions to learn our craft and build a set list that is unique. Asking for the secret is just lazy.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I'm not desperate for every gig, better-paying gigs come my way, making me more money. If the prospect/client is an ass, walk away.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is quite simple...Professionals would never do this or reveal any secrets. Hobbyists, amateurs and non-professionals feel sharing their knowledge is needed or useful to prove their supposed value.

It is the foundational mindset that makes all the difference. It is also a professional respect for the work of others/creators.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2023, Ken Northridge wrote:
First of all, I think its bad form to even ask another working magician for his secret, no matter what level of interest they have in the art. I have asked other magicians if they could steer me in the right direct before, like would you mind sharing what book I could purchase, etc.

And this answers the question, 'what would I do.' If he knows about Tannen's I'd give him the name of the effect so he could purchase it. That is helping in my book.

Most of us here have spent our whole lives reading books, going to lectures and conventions to learn our craft and build a set list that is unique. Asking for the secret is just lazy.

He did ask the name of the trick so he could purchase it but this particular trick is no longer available.
MagicMax7
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
33 Posts

Profile of MagicMax7
Don’t beat yourself up over it, man. It’s a very unfair position you were put it in. It’s happened to me a few times. That being said, now you know to have something minor you could “teach” in the future so you shouldn’t ever be surprised again. Right? ????
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2023, MagicMax7 wrote:
Don’t beat yourself up over it, man. It’s a very unfair position you were put it in. It’s happened to me a few times. That being said, now you know to have something minor you could “teach” in the future so you shouldn’t ever be surprised again. Right? ????

Thanks MagicMax. Yes, this was the first time I have ever been put in a position with such a pushy person that hired me. Since he was a pseudo-hobbyist he knew a fair amount of methods which was the issue for trying to teach him something minor. I may just have to do a card trick using sleight of hand methods and just tell the person the name of a book to buy that will teach them card sleights and leave it at that!
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Silly, I know, but inspired by all of this ....

Magi - "Wanna see the fastest coin production and vanish in the world?"

GM - "Yeah, sure."

Magi - "Wanna see it again?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2023, funsway wrote:
Silly, I know, but inspired by all of this ....

Magi - "Wanna see the fastest coin production and vanish in the world?"

GM - "Yeah, sure."

Magi - "Wanna see it again?"

That's great, lol! That's actually not a bad idea and then I follow with something to this effect," I want to warn you and let you know that I will actually show you a few tricks but in no way can I explain how they are done". This way everything is up front and the cards are on the table before I would even begin. Nip it at the bud. Thanks funsway, your little inspiration helped me realize what needs to be done going forward.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
He was using his leverage as your boss to get secrets out of you. I understand why you showed him just one effect to get him off your back. I would have kindly told him it's bad etiquette to ask another magician how he executed his effects. And then I probably would have shown him some self working card effect or a bar stunt. If you repeat your gig there, refuse to share more secrets if he ambushes you. Tell him to go to Tannens.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
I may have said that the performing venue isn’t really a comfortable place to teach him tricks. Why don’t we have lunch . We can discuss magic and go over a couple of tricks. If he wants to know bad enough he’ll take you to lunch.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeahthat would put you in an even worse situation with him.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
So, suggesting a lunch to discuss a mutual interest is unreasonable?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What all these little things everyone suggests forget it that they all make what you do less special, and by extension far less valuable.

By all means do as you like.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2023, Ken Northridge wrote:
First of all, I think its bad form to even ask another working magician for his secret, no matter what level of interest they have in the art.

This. Assuming the guy wasn't a jerk to begin with, he shouldn't have stood on "tell me how it's done" and if I were the magician, I would hope I would have enough chutzpa to say sorry, you know I can't discuss that and move on.
On the flip side, a few months ago we hired a great magician to work our family reunion. He stayed for dinner and we talked for an hour after his show, and that was part of the spark that has led me to get back into magic. We discussed concepts and principles, talked about recent things on TV, but I did not ask him "how did you do XYZ?"
I'm curious, when you say the trick isn't sold anymore, which one was it? And does it use a principle that is something you could have directed him to in books or a magic store, to at least say "It's very similar to Pro_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Night _ _ _ _ " or whatever?
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And is it really his to “give away” in the first place?

Sue give away something you created all day. Once you Cross into the work of others it .is not cool
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
OMG did that statement just open up a world of possible scenarios and situations in my mind... Smile

Quote:
On Jun 16, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
And is it really his to “give away” in the first place?

Sue give away something you created all day. Once you Cross into the work of others it .is not cool
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2023, RNK wrote: As he told me, he understands the code and definitely would not spread the secret around.

If he knows the code, he should have never asked you.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com