The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: A slightly different slant on the signed card question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think what magic suffers from is sort of "group think". SO much of this is personalised or should be. I think it is important to understand that what works just perfect for one is not right for anyone else. Too many times magicians do jot have the confidence to look inward.

While there might very well be lots of wrong answers there are also as many right answers as performers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Dannydoyle you are spot on. Concensus reality is the term you refer to. If everyone in a society thinks the same way about something, it becomes reality, at least in that society. It could be a completely false reality, but those who disagree are pilloried for it.

I actually disagree with you about having a card signed in certain routines, as it works really well for me, and I use the signing as a reason to imbue the card with more personal meaning for the spectator. I won't go into the detail, but it is a great routine for me. And I have thought about it, which is really your point, I believe.

I take advice from others, but I put a lot of thought into my own motivations and reasons for the things I do.

And I will defend your right to have a different reality to me, always.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Interesting, Max Malini used to load cards under different objects, and behind pictures when he was a guest at a partys of the wealthy. So later on he could produce the card (the force was with him) if he was booked to do a show sometime in the future.

There is a story of him also paying a tailor to put a card into the lining of a well off man so he could produce the card at a later date.

At the New York Lounge often the bar-magicians would force a card and a dup would appear in the matchbook. I don't see anyting wrong with it as long as it is entertaining to the audience.

As I said above - have them sign the card or not. One should do magic the way they like to.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutel. All I am saying is think.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 07:36, Dr. JK wrote:
Another solution is to buy removable color coding labels from Office Depot (I'll upload a picture later). The spectator can then initial the label. These stickers easily peel off when you're done with the routine. Of course, the spectator does not get to keep a semi-memorable souvenir, but for an amateur like me who doesn't need bookings, I've found this to be a workable solution.
that was going to be my suggestion. A good solution.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Everyone,

I use signed cards for most of my 'Card to impossible location" routines. My solution is to have a number of red spot cards in my breast pocket (taken from used decks). When it is time to perform one of the routines, I start out by saying, "Take a card." I remove one card from my pocket and hand it to the spectator. It gets a small laugh and I hand them a pen to sign it. I question if they have ever signed a card before. I state that the audience will not recognize the card whenever they see it again.

When the card is removed from the wallet, envelope, small briefcase, pocket watch, matchbox, etc., it is instantly recognized as the signed card. The card is given to the spectator and I am still left with a complete deck.

This has worked for me as long as I have been performing. It works for me!

Respectfully,

Paul Green

PS The reason I use red spot cards is to have the best contrast for the signature. Not using court cards was a choice because of the lack of "writing area" on the card.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 12:10, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I use signed cards for most of my 'Card to impossible location" routines. My solution is to have a number of red spot cards in my breast pocket (taken from used decks). When it is time to perform one of the routines, I start out by saying, "Take a card." I remove one card from my pocket and hand it to the spectator. It gets a small laugh and I hand them a pen to sign it. I question if they have ever signed a card before. I state that the audience will not recognize the card whenever they see it again.

When the card is removed from the wallet, envelope, small briefcase, pocket watch, matchbox, etc., it is instantly recognized as the signed card. The card is given to the spectator and I am still left with a complete deck.

This has worked for me as long as I have been performing. It works for me!

Respectfully,

Paul Green

PS The reason I use red spot cards is to have the best contrast for the signature. Not using court cards was a choice because of the lack of "writing area" on the card.

That is a very practical and great idea. Thanks Paul!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks guys for all your comments and for sharing your views, it's really appreciated.

I have been reading all the posts and thinking about what could be the ideal solution for me and I have to say that for me both Arron Smith Magic and Paul Green have provided very practical solutions that I believe would work for me. I also quite like DR JK's sticker idea (Better for when you don't want to see the card). In fact I have experimented with stickers before but the one's I tried stuck to firmly to the cards.

Naturally, different solutions to different situations.