The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: For your reading pleasure... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7050 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I see the humour. Just not sure if the response was a bit venomous
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
Great response by the musician.
-Jason Porter
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
-Jason Porter
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Quote:
On 2013-04-03 14:11, Habbrock wrote:
-Jason Porter

Somebody trying to get to 50 posts?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
When I first opened the retail store a restaurant owner proposed that I come to the restaurant and perform for his customers as a way to promote my magic shop.

I told him "Great. I'm having a grand opening this weekend and I'll tell everyone that you're bringing a few plates if food. There should be about 40 people throughout the day, so if you would, please bring something new each hour.... And That Will Help Promote YOUR restaurant !!!)

Naturally he was speechless and left.
A few months later he brought his son in the store and (loudly- for my benefit) said " You see son, all thus stuff is a waste of time and the people who buy and sell it don't know anything about how to live their life correctly... This is a complete waste of time" He left, dragging his son by the arm but the boy was looking over his shoulder the entire time. (You don't want what you have and always want what you can't get).

So for the next 3 weeks (every day) I gave his son a free gag, puzzle or trick as he was coming from school and going to the restaurant. Then I would look across the parking lot and see the kid playing with his new toy instead of mashing the potatoes Smile

Finally the wife started bringing me lunch, for a week, then she said " Your driving my husband crazy and he's driving me crazy, please, please stop.. And I'll talk to him.

Ahhh.... killing them with kindness, a little psychology and some irony......... That's my goal.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
995 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2013-04-05 04:07, jay leslie wrote:
When I first opened the retail store a restaurant owner proposed that I come to the restaurant and perform for his customers as a way to promote my magic shop.

I told him "Great. I'm having a grand opening this weekend and I'll tell everyone that you're bringing a few plates if food. There should be about 40 people throughout the day, so if you would, please bring something new each hour.... And That Will Help Promote YOUR restaurant !!!)

Naturally he was speechless and left.
A few months later he brought his son in the store and (loudly- for my benefit) said " You see son, all thus stuff is a waste of time and the people who buy and sell it don't know anything about how to live their life correctly... This is a complete waste of time" He left, dragging his son by the arm but the boy was looking over his shoulder the entire time. (You don't want what you have and always want what you can't get).

So for the next 3 weeks (every day) I gave his son a free gag, puzzle or trick as he was coming from school and going to the restaurant. Then I would look across the parking lot and see the kid playing with his new toy instead of mashing the potatoes Smile

Finally the wife started bringing me lunch, for a week, then she said " Your driving my husband crazy and he's driving me crazy, please, please stop.. And I'll talk to him.

Ahhh.... killing them with kindness, a little psychology and some irony......... That's my goal.

Dear Mr Jay Leslie,

Your PM is disabled, so I had to post this request here.
Do you mind if share your priceless story with a closed group of magician buddies on facebook?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hon. Jay:::

GREAT STORY! Isn't 'poetic justice" fun.

As 'they' say in English class>>>>> YOUSE DONE GOOD!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
With the company my wife and I run Science in a van we decide early on no free gigs. We have lots of pepoel offered us the chance to try thing out and that if we do it for free for them but there be 5 teachers in the room so were sure to get a booking from it. Rubbish this dose not gareteed gigs.

However we do do the odd free gig at time. Either for local community events. A because its good to do something for your community. There are also teacher and community clubs around so we do pick up 2-3 gig from it. Also these are fun. Also sometimes we go to teacher meetings, traing course and do a quick bit again expose in the audianc ewe want to met.

What important about doing stuff for free is get something out og the gig, food, posters on a notice board for a week, what ever. Also we never doing anything we offer to pepol that pay us. Yes what we do is good but there is a noticable diffrent.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2013-04-02 18:28, shaihorowitz0 wrote:
There is something to be said about performing free shows like this as you are getting started to get your name out there and get over any anxiety about performing.
Yea' there is. Don't do it in paying venues.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Share away, all....
Just don't forget to mention me name Smile
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia