The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Top 3 Packet Tricks for Strolling (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
drolleric
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of drolleric
All Non Conformists shown by Michael Ammar
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1861 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, puggo wrote:
...just doing packet tricks may work, but if you do several in the same session without a deck, it may seem like you're using TV or magic cards.
I wouldn't do just packet tricks unless I only used them very sparingly.

Some groups/tables, etc. prefer card tricks. Most have not seen anything other than the laymen's pick-a-card trick so when they see this NEW magic they want more. Three packet tricks can easily be transitioned in to one after the other as if they were phases of one large card routine.

I have never had anyone suspect that I was using TV or magic cards or at least be vocal about it. Although now I prefer to carry all of the packet tricks that I will have with me in a single card box, adding extra cards to fill the perceived deck. At first I thought I might need an index but have found that isn't necessary.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I don't get this anxiety magicians have with audiences thinking that the decks/packets we use are TV/magic cards. If you perform enough you'll understand that there are some people who will blatantly make this assumption regardless of how fairly the deck is displayed. There are more people (thankfully) who will assume the cards are gimmicked ( even if the deck is the old tried and true Bike back), but are too polite to make mention of it during the performance.

But for the most part...if you're a solid performer, spectators will enjoy your card tricks for what they are---well executed and entertaining card TRICKS.
Despite how hard a magician practices to remove any thoughts of trick cards or sleight of hand, is there really a perception from todays educated audiences that the card trick just witnessed was accomplished through...ACTUAL MAGIC?!?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you use a new deck for every effect it tends to diminish the work as no skill and something anyone can do. While nobody may think it is magic, they do assume skill. If you're ok with reducing that then cool. This is a performance choice for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
I’ve fallen in love with packet tricks lately. I’ve found that people really enjoy them if you have a nice story with them too like Brother Hammon Twins and even Jennings Ambitious Classic. I avoid too many gimmicked packet effects. I think the sleights effects have bigger impact and instead of spectators thinking gaff they think how? Or that you have extra cards. I get that with Elmsley Four card and Twins a lot.

By the way I think The Elmsley Count Project was excellent and personally that where I learned how to do it.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
To add to the list:
Nick Frost’s 4 flush
Aldo Colombini’s 5 card mystery.

Both of these use some gaffs. But every now and again are fun to throw in the mix.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Genetics- - here’s a clip of me performing it with the new set, Genetics 2.... Sorry no screaming girls or camera edits and beware it’s a full performance so 6 mins long

https://youtu.be/8rkDpXmd3T8
Magically,

Website - www.sgmagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, simplymagicweb wrote:
Genetics- - here’s a clip of me performing it with the new set, Genetics 2.... Sorry no screaming girls or camera edits and beware it’s a full performance so 6 mins long

I don’t think 26 cards qualifies as packet trick.
It’s nice but long.
gibby357
View Profile
Veteran user
The Woodlands, TX
344 Posts

Profile of gibby357
Quote:

Lots of audience involvement and entertainment packed into 6 minutes. I like it! Anyone carrying this in the U.S.?
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

Thanks Gibby357. The original Genetics was released around 5 or 6 years ago, but the guys who did all the cards etc stopped. As it was my effect I asked them if I could produce a new set, with revised handling etc and they said yes, so here’s Genetics 2. Due to the cost of producing the cards, I can’t sell them at wholesale to the likes of Murphy’s sadly, so they are only available directly from me.
Magically,

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
Thanks Gibby357. The original Genetics was released around 5 or 6 years ago, but the guys who did all the cards etc stopped. As it was my effect I asked them if I could produce a new set, with revised handling etc and they said yes, so here’s Genetics 2. Due to the cost of producing the cards, I can’t sell them at wholesale to the likes of Murphy’s sadly, so they are only available directly from me.

One idea is to see if Penguin or whoever would sell it as a video download along with PDF so people can print images and just glue them to blank cards.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1443 Posts

Ahhhh news flash..... Alakazam have just bought the rights to Genetics so I’m sure that’ll lead to it being available in the States soon.
Magically,

Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, drolleric wrote:
All Non Conformists shown by Michael Ammar

What a gem! Thanks for highlighting it.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
NFW, Color Monte (I know, I know but it gets great reactions), and I can’t think of a third right now.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3561 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Todsky, by chance, have you followed up with Dailys Last Trick after NFW? It leaves the impression that your spectators have held all the aces, plus it's a great packet trick.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
Todsky, by chance, have you followed up with Dailys Last Trick after NFW? It leaves the impression that your spectators have held all the aces, plus it's a great packet trick.

Wravyn,

I often follow up NFW with Daley's. Seems to remove any heat from the Aces (and of course the cards left in their hands are clean!)
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2018, Wravyn wrote:

Nope, but that makes great magical sense!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Stand up monte
8 card b wave
Twisted sister follow up
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
267 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I tried Stand Up Monte because the promo video looked good and it is so highly recommended and I want stand up strolling material. I tried it a few times.
I found it very difficult to remember. Also, if you mess up one step it can cause problems. Also it seemed a bit too impossible.
People started to try and look underneath suspecting gimmicked cards, which they are. Also, after a bit you start to forget how to do it like others have said. So I shelved it. There are other packet tricks easier to remember. Hey. If it works for you, good luck. Cheers!
PressureFan
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
For an in-hands Monte, Paul Cummins Old Faithful uses normal cards.

In my second strolling set I do Draun's Counting Puzzle with a phase from Pineapple Twist. I wouldn't have left in the last phase of the Counting Puzzle except that Steve said; "It's a little cheeky". That made me laugh. Not bold, but cheeky. I never would have thought of that distinction. I'm surprised that Counting Puzzle isn't mentioned more. It ticks all the boxes for me. It's easy, in-hands, uses normal cards, no extra cards, and is angle proof.

Meeting all those requirements is Carpenter's Pocket Interchange. It's taught using a table to set a packet aside for a moment, but I use a short vest pocket. I've mentioned this trick before, it's huge. LOTS of action with only three easy moves.