The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Going for the 'Gold' :: Non Magic Talent Quest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Hi my name is David Welzman

Recently I have entered a Talent Quest- my first ever
it's not that I'm new to magic I've just never entered one before

The Problem: Most of the competition are singers
and the three judges are singers or ex singers

My Question
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips in performing at these "open" talen Quest

(first prize is a wopping $15,000 so I'll take any advixce you can give)

At this point I have made it to the semi finals

Thank you in advance

Dave
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
David

How long is the set and what do you plan to perform?

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

YAY!!!!! thanks paula

Approx 15 minutes (3 songs)of performance on stage.
In the pre finals I performed.

Show Name: Cocktails & Card Tricks.

Opener (4 minutes)a set piece to music including
Dazzling Bottle Juggling, Card manips with diminishing cards ending
The bottle is a Galliano which ends up as the base of my table. I also do some comedy bits inbetween the bottle & the cards. music= Yello- on the run (edited)

Phase 2 7 minutes- Audience participation
More comedy interactions with a girl then a guy. using airborn and some do as I do with drinks.
Then a bill to impossible location (Bill in can) with a gambling theme of 3 "can" monte.
Music in background- (yello "oh yeah"edited)

Finish of with the Vanishing Banadana trick followed by chaser music)Vanishing banadana is the marketed effect with the womens voice giving instructions.

It's nice routine goes well and flows. (probably doesn't sound to good on paper but its a fun show)

Why do I close with the banadana and not the bill to impossible I wanted to end simply with a audio piece
by my self on stage (not verifying the bill is the right bill is 5 seconds of dead time I don't want at the end)
The banadana is easy to perform allowing easy presentation- it flows and ends with a vanish and a laugh followed by the chaser music so I can exit.
a nice clean ending.

The audience loved it I could see the judges laughing
but after talking with some audience members they said that I was never going to win because no magician ever wins these comps( it's in it's 4th year) it's always a singer
(i am the only magician entered in the comp)
which is true I came second ( top 2 go to semi finals)

I really want to have an effect to slay my audiences
to replace the bill to can or at least enhance it.

I do have very limited time to set up before the show (2minutes) so animals and grand illusions are out)

anyway thank you Paula for responding, my show goes togeather well and it is entertaining I gues I have to get more confidence and stop thinking about the 3 singer judges.

Cheers

David Welzman
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
David

You seem to have talked yourself into a "I cannot win" condition.

Do the set that you know and enjoy it - show the judges that you are enjoying it, have fun with your audience and let them have fun as well - hype them up.

As its magic/comedy I would look at a "singers always win" type joke but done with you singing VERY badly -Perhaps a faux opera style.

Or tell them your are going to sing an Australian classic from Kevin Wilson about a young girl who is friendly and you believe her father may own an establishment that produces alcoholic beverages. (I am sure you know which song I am refering too) Smile

I would also get a friend who can do a not too bright Aussie Drawl to re-record the bandana backing (use the same timing).

If you do not win be gracious in defeat.

David

As it is getting close to Christmas - Kevins Wilson's other classic:

A young boys lament to father Christmas as to non receipt of his preffered mode of transport.

I cannot think of another Kevin song at the moment, but perhaps describe three of Kevin's songs in the above manner to the Judges and let then choose - tell them it's the only songs that you know - Let them squirm for a few seconds then say "I can do a little magic as well" Then go for it.

I am brainstorming this as I write.

I would start with the three choices of Kevin songs, then "I can do a bit of magic" bit. If you have props already on stage have them covered to look non descript at the start.

HTH

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Thank you

I was actually thinking about doing a karaoke joke thing

with the Yello song "Oh Yeah"

every now and then in the song id go Oh Yeah or I'd go chikichicaaa

sound strange but the thought of it makes me laugh.

Yes I may do the rerecording of the banadana trick
I know someone who can help in that department.

Cheers