The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Going for the 'Gold' :: Does a winning act have to be done to music? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Does a winning act have to be done to music?

I know there are exceptions to the rule, especially in close-up. But even in that criteria, almost all the wining acts at FISM have to involve music at some point.

Lets looks at Shawn and his card routine, done to music. Mark Oberon, again done partly to music. It doesn't all have to be to music, but has to at least end with a musical piece (e.g. Steve Dela - Lemon Tree) and preferably have walk-on music. It could be background with speaking over it, buts it still there.

Maybe its because of the language barrier? Performing at FISM, you have to appeal to Judges who don't speak English. So musical acts tend to do better because of it.

You also have pace, music makes an act go faster and since they aren't listening to you, its all flashy tricks, usually. Which are generally better received and look more difficult.

But we also have to consider the 'Got Talent' TV shows, where spoken acts never win or make the semi-finals (unless its because your the joke novelty act). With 90 seconds to perform, and the first 5 seconds to wow them, it really have to be a musical act to even get considered.

But is it that audiences simply prefer acts done to music? It means they can relax and just watch, not fearful that they will be 'picked', or miss an important line. They can drink while watching and even when distracted, they know they can usually jump straight back into a musical act, when they would be lost in a verbal act.

Am I wrong in this assumption, or am I right in that I should be doing at least part of my children's competition act and close-up competition act to music?

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have a very good answer for this question.

Music is the emotional life to a routine. Nothing can stir the mind quicker than music. It can heighten danger, melt the heart of the listener.

Music has it distractors also, if not done right or poor timing, the act will look off, and lower a score.

If the music choice offends, or has words that offend, then the routine suffers. Some modern music may offend older persons, and some older music may be disliked by younger crowds.

My personal choice is use music, it makes a world of difference. Finding the right one is not an easy task. One old salt said, it is easier to put magic to music than trying to make the music fit to the routine.

Use music wisely.
Dennis Michael
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Music brings emotion, Juan Tamariz and Lennart Green do acts without music though and they both did great at FISM.
Pat Perry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Pat Perry
The jury at FISM and the audience is internationally. So the use of language may be a disatvantage. And many agents are there to book an act for international TV shows and international events. So music can be a solution.
Beside that, I think it's much more important to be original. No matter if it's spoken or a music act. These guys have seen so many magic acts. The easiest way to impress them is by suprize. (worked for me...)
Excaliber
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Excaliber
Yes if you have no stage presence