The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: What are good "Bracket Tricks?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
I'm not sure what the correct term for this is, or if there is one. I use it to refer to the tricks set up at the beginning of a show, which are occasionally alluded to and built up to conclude with or near the climax.

In my first show, I had a card selected near the beginning, guessed "wrong" a few times throughout the show, and then had it revealed on the tickets' QR code.

In another show, we did a bill vanish early in the show and had it reappear in a sealed envelope that had been given out earlier.

I imagine the different kinds of card/bill-to-fruit or whatever would also fill this role.

What are some other ideas?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
A simple envelope or box suspended high above the audience from the start of the show can be effective. It's worked well for others in the past.
Nat_lawson
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Nat_lawson
I love this type of trick, especially when it is completely unexpected in the end. I have found, that memory work works well if that fits your style.
Michael Basic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
13 Posts

Profile of Michael Basic
I saw someone (his name is escaping me right now) at the Magic Castle have someone select a hotdog out of a sealed pack of hot dogs (juice dripped on the table in the closeup room, and if you know the castle...yikes!) He then proceeded to find the selected hot dog. There were no distinguishing marks on any of the hot dogs so aside from the comedy, it wasn't very magical. He went through the rest of his show with the spectator holding the hot dog, and at the end, a different spectator's selected card was inside the hot dog. I had a few of my non magician friends with me as guests and to this day, that's the most memorable trick they've ever seen.
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Dan White does a nice running effect like this in one of his lectures (for laymen on Wonder) where he begins by ringing a bell when he walks on stage. He then gives the bell to an audience member and tells them that they can ring the bell any time during his speech. They do and the time is noted. Finally, at the end of the speech he removes a cloth from a chalkboard that has been isolated the entire time and on it is the exact time written in chalk. Now, this works well during a speech, but it could pose problems during a show as they do have to interrupt you. Nonetheless, I think the beginning, middle, and end elements are a nice way to bookend the performance while maintaining a thread.

I have also seen this done well with a multi-phase book test, where the performer has one person/word he is struggling with – constantly coming back to them and then moving on. Finally, after the finale effect, he remembers to address this final word and reveals it in the most astonishing way.

It is a great way to add depth and a thread to what is sometimes just a series of seemingly unconnected effects.