The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Coin in Bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Just wondering how you all present this effect. My current theme is pretty much straight forward. "wouldn't it be a great trick if this coin could penetrate the bottle..." A little dry and I would love to add the patter that is great effect deserves. Any suggestions...it would be great to toss around some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2002-05-06 10:14, variable75 wrote:
"wouldn't it be a great trick if this coin could penetrate the bottle..."

Any suggestions...it would be great to toss around some ideas.

I have been working on the no gimmick signed/ marked coin in bottle effect. I have succeeded in getting the spectators coin in the bottle. The bottle with the coin in it can be given out for examination.

I have yet to devise a method to get the coin out of the bottle. I am still thinking how to!!
:sun:

Smile USTAAD
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
I read somewhere about wedging the folder in the neck of a plastic funnel. Then the real coin is dropped into the funnel and you 'poke' it through into the bottle with one finger while palming the original.

I can't think of any useful patter except perhaps

'A funnel thing will happen to your coin. I put it in this coin cone, and look, just like money down the sink. plink plink in a wink..'
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I logged in an idea on coin in bottle under "cowboy plots" in this same area...
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I have a way of getting a signed or marked coin into a bottle, but the only problem is that the coin has to be smaller than the bottle opening. You don't put it in through the top, though Smile

Since this board is appropriate, I'll let you in. Do the striking vanish with like a 20oz. soda bottle with like a dime, nickel or penny. I was just doing the strike vanish for no reason and I was surprised to look down and see the coin in the bottle!

Have fun. It's a knack thing.

-Corey
Corey King
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Personally, I like the pure simplicity of this effect. I think it's best if you accomplish the "secret" and let the spectator hold the bottle very firmly by the neck (you modeling first and transfering it to his hand). etc... etc... blah, blah

I am not sure about telling the spectator what is going to happen first. I think a fun idea would be to say you have been working on a "special effect" or "optical illusion" like in the movies. You can show them what you have worked out so far!

If you try this approach, the spectator isn't quite sure what to expect.

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
dukenotes
View Profile
New user
Winchester, KY
70 Posts

Profile of dukenotes
Quote:
On 2002-05-08 21:35, alleycat wrote:
Personally, I like the pure simplicity of this effect. I think it's best if you accomplish the "secret" and let the spectator hold the bottle very firmly by the neck (you modeling first and transfering it to his hand). etc... etc... blah, blah

I am not sure about telling the spectator what is going to happen first. I think a fun idea would be to say you have been working on a "special effect" or "optical illusion" like in the movies. You can show them what you have worked out so far!

If you try this approach, the spectator isn't quite sure what to expect.

alleycat Smile

That's always a winning way. Someone says "Can you really get a coin into this bottle?" and you say "I don't think so, I'm just going to see if I can make it look like I can" or something.

Yes, "I saw a guy do it on t.v. and I was just wondering if I could make it look like I had done it."

As it falls in there you can act just as surprised as everyone else.

:dancing:

Duke
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Fellas-

Thanks much for the great advice. I really appreciate it. Here is my next trouble spot. After the coin is in the bottle obviously the specs are going to want to see it as close as possible, but I am afraid they will see the "lines" in the coin. I know I could always use a darker bottle, but also I was thinking about this. If they notice the line, I could say "wow, I must have cracked the coin putting it in..." or something to this effect. Not sure if this would fly or not. Anybody work through this problem?
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Variable75: The brown glass of beer or some root-beer bottles might be too dark. I like the green tint of the glass coke bottles, but I don't know if they still use them. Even with clear glass, I find it hard to believe anyone would notice.
Since--in the way I have performed it--the coin goes through the bottom of the bottle while the spectator is holding the bottle, after the shock begins to wear off, I just take the bottle and shake the coin around inside long enough for everyone to clearly see what has happened and to hear
real metal clinking on real glass. I don't remember ever having the coin motionless for very long, and I think that helps.
In the end I grasped the bottle by the neck and shook the coin out into my hand, and the same coin that we started with falls out of my hand. Personally, I wouldn't say anything about the coin looking strange. They can inspect the coin to make sure after it's out of the bottle.

More experienced magicians may have better advice.

alleycat Smile

PS. Have a back-up plan if something breaks...
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Alleycat-

hey brother I think you are right on track. I don't get too perform all that often because of where I live and what I do (mojave desert), so I am not sure if this is an issue or not. I pretty much use the same method as yourself, keep the coin moving without them really realizing that I am doing it. I have a party coming up at the end of the month, I will try it out there and see what I come up with. If it is anything earthshatering I will get back to you.

Thanks-
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Have fun at the party, O Variable One, you're going to knock them out! I think the effect is a very visual and startling one--plus they get to touch everything!!!

Break a leg! (as they say in theater)

alleycat Smile
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
J_C
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of J_C
Regarding people noticing the lines on the coin, you should check out Ammars handling in "The Magic of Michael Ammar".
When I first ready it I laughed, because it is pretty bold, yet it was such a clever simple idea.
I won't say what it is, because it's not my method, but it's great because you actually ask the spectators to LOOK for the lines, and because of that the routine can be performed using any bottle whether it clear or whatever.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I like Corey's idea with the strike vanish.
Perhaps that could be done then followed up with one of the other methods and a larger coin!

Alleycat said:
I think it's best if you accomplish the "secret" and let the spectator hold the bottle very firmly by the neck

This idea of letting the spectator hold the bottle is, I believe, a Roy Johnson idea and Wayne Dobson used to use it a lot.

Maybe a good follow up would be the idea where the bottle label ends up on the inside of the bottle. David Roth used to sell bottles like that, but I remember Peter Duffie saying he had come across reference to Tom Sellers doing that MANY years ago.

A presentation that appeared in Magick, but I don't recall who by, did the effect as an apport. Think poltiergeist. The bottle was smashed with a hammer to remove the coin. (Placed in a plastic bag first!)

Paul Hallas.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Paul,
You are a walking encyclopedia!
I remember reading in a book once how to take a label off a bottle and get it on the inside (it involved submersion in water and a lot of gentleness), but I doubt I'll ever remember which book it was!

Thanks for all your informitive posts.

alleycat Smile
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
JC-

Thanks for the ammar reference, I will check it out if I can find a copy. I was thinking about saying something along the lines of, "look I cracked the coin getting it in there." or something along those lines if the spec notices the lines in the coin. Bold, yes, but I really don't think that anyone will suspect that the coin must fold up unless of course they are magicians themselves.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I understand that Richard Osterland has a signed coin to bottle where you have to break the botle to get the coin out, does anyone know about this?
njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
My idea:

Tell your audience that as soon as you get any money, you spend it, and it's a problem for you (plenty of room for jokes here - "look at my shoes, you can tell," something like that). Tell them that the only way that you can keep yourself from spending money is to put it in a place where you can't get to it. Can't put in a bank, because you obviously have acess to it. You have to put your money inside a bottle where no one can get to it... that is, unless they absolutely have to, and then you remove the coin.

How does it sound?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson