The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Here is an Idea for the Chop Cup!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
I am not sure if many magicians know this but I accidently stumbled upon it on my own. Did you know that if you use one of those small Pringles cans that it can act as a Chop Cup. I have been using it for years. It is very disarming and works well with my gambling/scam artist character.
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
You could end the routine with a final load of potato chips! Those Pringles stack perfectly and could probably be held out in a cylinder with a magnet on the top. After loading, the magnet holds the cylinder to the roof of the box and allows you to pick it up cleanly, exposing a stack of chips.

Mike
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
That is a great idea with the chips final load using the cylinder and magnet. You could use that as one of the final loads along with one of those small cans of soda, the ones that are half the size of normal cans. That way you could do a little magic and then have a snack.
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Yep and yep, I have been doing that exact routine since I found that my chop cup ball was stuck to the bottom of the Pringles can I was storing spongballs in. First the chips and then the soda. People go nuts for it. In fact I have gone so far as to make chop balls that look like little potatoes. Fun stuff! Smile
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I thought that it would be cool to produce a full shot glass and some nuts if you are working at a bar, it's pretty much the same idea but a full shot glass would be more impressive then a soda can.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2679 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
This is a great idea!

It's also a lot cheaper than buying a chop cup, yet appears totally ungimmicked!

10 out of 10 Smile
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
I like it!

Wouldn't you call this a chip-chop cup?

Dwight Powell
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
I seem to recall that this idea was published in the Magic Menu a few years back. I cannot at the moment recall the contributor, but it was about two or three years ago, I think.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Okay I guess I'm missing something here. Chop cups contain ma***ts to retain the balls. Are you suggesting Pringles cans ALSO contain ma***ts ?

aHA so that's why my car keys always get stuck inside.

Daniel
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27314 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is a reason the Balls are passive about this... simply to allow routines where you show more than one ball. It would be unfortunate to have the balls start clinging to each other. Might suggest some rude patter... though still annoying to the performer who wants things to seem stable if not ordinary.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Do pringles cans really work without putting a you-know-what into the top?
-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
My friend Stan Gerson uses a Starbucks cup that he modified.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
84 Posts

Profile of mshanker
I'm replying a year late but here's why the Pringles work. The ball is gimmicked--not the steel bottom of the mini Pringles can. The Starbucks cup would have to be "modified" because, well..it's styrofoam and not ferrous...

Incidentally, Martin Lewis has a video which uses a Pringles can. However, in order to suit his patter he has it disguised as a can of peas. I prefer a snack-related patter and the Pringles fits in perfectly.

Manoj
Manoj