The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: My new trick idea called Poof! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicNut
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of MagicNut
Wouldn't it be cool if you could take a full matchbook open the cover and light the match heads in full view, close the cover to extinguish the flames, open and reveal all matches intact. To show they are in fact real pull as many as you want and strike them on the striker.

I'm really excited about this!! For one reason, matches can be freely examined after doing this trick! Nothing to palm or remove, no sleights, easy for the beginner.

What do you think of this idea?

Have you heard of an effect like this one? If so please direct me to that trick.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3077 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hi MagicNut,

It is a nice effect. But I think it's already been invented. Check out "Flash Transpo" at http://www.Online-Visions.com — the burning portion of Shane's effect looks very similar. Although his is ungaffed, I think it's based on a gaffed version by Grant. Talk to Shane about this; I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Best of luck,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
Here is a link to "flash transpo".
http://www.online-visions.com/effects/0201flash.html

An advantage of your version over flash transpo is that yours involves one matchbook, which might seem a little more direct. However, the effect of flash can be done using just one matchbox as well but it eliminates the routine of the trick and makes it seem like a quickie effect that isn't as mysterious. If your effect uses a different method than flash does, there might be some reworking that could apply the principle of your effect to make it a little stronger. If it uses the same method, then I think that flash transpo is a pretty good routine that I can't think of how to improve at the moment.
MagicNut
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of MagicNut
Mine is nothing like transpo.

I use one matchbook, and I light the matches in full view. If I get this to work right you will see the flame from the lighter touch the match heads and ignite the whole pack.

Then almost by magic you can pull them out and strike them and they light. And they wouldn't be burnt. No gimmicks, no switches, can be handed out for examination.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
This sounds like a cool effect. Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
UNREAL
View Profile
New user
Bronx, NY
77 Posts

Profile of UNREAL
No gimmicks? So would this be marketed as a booklet/pamphlet?
"There is no spoon."
MagicNut
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of MagicNut
Most likely yes. Or I can sell the trick that can be used for several performances and include a manuscript that teaches you how to make it yourself. You would never have to buy one ever again.

This would be like bill to matches. After the bill wore out I would make a new one for myself. Same idea.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Please when available contact me, I am interested Smile

I will use it for a back in time presentation...

Read you soon

Kuffs
MagicNut
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of MagicNut
Hopefully I will have a demo early next week.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Jay Sankey has an effect that uses one matchbook and some flash paper that would give you almost the exact same results. The only benefit yours would have is showing the matches actually burning. That would be a plus for some, but would lose the impromptu feel that Sankey's has. With his you can borrow a matchbook. With yours it is gimmicked. Time will tell though.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
To me the effect seems pointless.

Light, extinguish, relight.

Not being funny, but as a layperson, would you really be impressed at all if you saw that?

Gary
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Wouldn't it stink the place up?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2