The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Kennedy Mystery Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
So, I love the Kennedy Mystery Box - the effect on the audience is amazing. Can it be made better? What if you start off with 3 mystery boxes on the table, have them choose the card, etc, etc. Then when it comes to the final revelation, ask them to choose any box - whatever box they choose, we will use.

You show the other two boxes totally empty, and then the audience opens up the final box - and in the box is their card.

I think this improves on what was already a perfect trick. They can choose any one of the final boxes.

What do you think, is this an improvement or does this make them more suspicious?

I have the boxes, but have not performed this live yet.
Martin's Magic Collection
The Largest Online Collection of Rare, Vintage, and New Magic!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
You just took what is probably one of the strongest signed card to impossible locations & made it even more mind blowing. I think that this is a brilliant idea!

Also, how about offering the spectator a (magicians) choice of red or blue cards to start off with?

Fantastic idea! Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

All the worlds a stage,
And the men & women merely players;
They have their exits
and their entrances,
And one man in his time
plays many parts.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Wow, what a killer idea! Smile

Not only did you make a great trick even better, but it is now even performable as a stand-up type item! Smile

You could have three spectators each select a card, then each one is shown an empty box. Spectators now can either keep the empty box they have, or exchange their box with another spectator's box. The finale, of course, each spectator's chosen card appears inside the box that they are holding. Smile

I guess now you see how my mind thinks... makes me want to go out and buy three boxes! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Glad you guys like it! I thought about 3 cards appearing too, and so did John Kennedy mention it - when I ordered my 3 boxes from him. But to my mind, keeping with just the one card is stronger in 3 boxes, than 3 cards in 3 boxes. The repetition plus the move kind of drags it out if you have it in each box. You can be cleaner with the boxes too if it just appears in one box.

This is how I have been thinking about it. The great thing is that Kennedy has 3 exotic woods for his boxes so you have the perfect reason for the 3 boxes too.

Quote:
On 2001-10-10 21:56, Steve Brooks wrote:
You could have three spectators each select a card, then each one is shown an empty box.
Spectators now can either keep the empty box they have, or exchange their box with another spectators box. The finale, of course, each spectators chosen card appears inside the box that they are holding. Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Now if I only had more money! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
And so say all of us!! Smile
Wallace B
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of Axman
I think there is a chance that this may tip the method. I don't know why but I think It weakens an already perfect effect. Just my two cents.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Three boxes, three cards, I think might give some possible clues. Three boxes, one card, could be a real hit... if it does not become too confused.

Begins to elevate the routine to a platform venue rather than close-up.

Just thinkin’

Tom Cutts
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
I think it's key to stick to the one card, three boxes too. Otherwise, the repetition really may give something away.

I still think that this has huge potential, and if performed clean, does extend the perfect nature of this effect. If you lay out the three boxes in front of your table, it takes some practice just to open the boxes that are empty. But done cleanly, it’s very convincing.
Mitch
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
157 Posts

Profile of Mitch
Where is the best place to get one or three of the Kennedy exotic wood boxes?
Mitch Solway
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
61 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
From John Kennedy himself:

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/......oduct=45

He now has 4 types.
They are all nice.

andy
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I can't get myself to even buy one of those boxes at the price they sell them for.
Instead, I use small jewelry boxes that a nice ring would come in.

For the method, I borrowed basically what Paul Gertner does (I don't remember where he got the idea) in his Godiva Chocolates Trick, which can be found in Steel and Silver.

Most of us probably can find one of these jewelry boxes at home somewhere for free.

The effect looks like this...

You open the box, there is a folded card inside that you can shake around inside the box. You dump out the card, close the box, and viola. The card is the signed card, everyone shreiks, and buys you Smile

I use it all the time.

$.02,
frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
fstarsinic,
I agree with you. And just to get this off my heart: I never understood all the high praises from magicians for the Mystery Box.
I don't doubt the quality, craftsmanship or deceptiveness of the box. But you just don't need it at all. You get the same strong effect with any appropriate box, can or what have you. If you need proof, have a look at Darwin Ortiz' presentation of the multiple card selection, which climaxes with a folded card in a jewelry box. (Interestingly, in John Kennedy's Lecture Notes from around 1985, he himself describes a handling with an ordinary small brass can. That's where I learned the trick.)

IMHO, the Mystery Box is something magicians like a lot, because it seems to be a perfect gimmick, but audiences couldn't care less. The ***** box is the least important thing for them. When the card drops out (via shuttle pass) just put the box casually away and you don't have to prove anything. The focus will be on the card now.

From the spectators perspective the whole point of the effect is: How in the world did my signed selected card travel invisibly into a box (or wallet, shoe, mouth, etc.)that was in full view all the time?

Just my 2 (Euro) cents
Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
I personally have looked at all of the John Kennedy boxes (Card, Bill, and Piece of Paper) and personally feel that the Card is by far the best. Also the idea of using three is an exceptional idea. I think that there is no need to worry about giving away the secret. This would be an excellent routine. In fact you could even pick up the boxes and hand them to two spectators to look inside, and then remove the lid off the third and there is the card. I have performed this trick, and afterwards people have reached for the box, but have never
"released" the secret. I am totally faithful that the three box John Kennedy trick would be a beautiful thing!!! Great IDEA!
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I do something similar in my signed bill to orange trick... I bring out three oranges, and the chosen orange has the the bill inside... except I don't do any last minute sleights I just use the old equivoque... the same could be applied here, with a mystery box, and two other random containers
GetJet
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GetJet
Just one question. Does the spectator take the card out himself or not? I mean, is it some kind of last minute shuttle pass involved or not? I am asking because I am aware of this kind of effect (e.g. Paul Green's Mission Impossible) and I would not want to spend that much for that.
Please help. Thanks.

I have found a video on his website and I think it is done through a pass. Why would you then still buy this? (as someone else already pointed out) Is it because it looks empty? Is it really examinable? Thanks.

P.S. For the trick with three boxes, that means that you can decide to make it appear full or empty at your whim?
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Hey, I watched the Kennedy Mystery Box video at jbmagic and if I am right, the principle is very similar to Paperclipped by Jay Sankey, right?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Just a thought,

[outdated link]

I used a box that looks like this one, (mini pirate chest) long before I ever heard of the mystery box, for exactly the same effect. In fact I thought it was completely my own idea, and never thought anyone else would like it. Since my method involved a lock it seemed much stronger to me than when I saw the Kennedy video.

The flapping lid gives twice the cover when dumping and covers the gimmick when done.

Works good for the quarter go, or ring go, as well. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Andy,
Just also wanted to comment about such a killer idea for the mystery box. Thanks for sharing it with all of us! Yes, the box is pricy but the workmanship is great, so it's worth the price. The spectators response has always been so awesome when I've used it. I think in this case using three would really blow them away. Again thanks for sharing this idea in the Café. Smile

Only thing is, now I'm going to have to put off buying another pair of shoes... darn!
...and buy boxes instead!!! Smile
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Let's not forget one of the best card to box effects out there, is the one performed by Tommy Wonder.

The method and routine can be found in his book, Volume 1 (I think).

The method is similar to the Godiva Box explained before, but with an added visual convincer that is one of the many great
"Wonder" subtleties.

Don't pass this one up, you can buy the books for the price of the Mystery Box.