The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Deep Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Just thought I'd share a bit of my routine with Deep Astonishment. I used a tip from the DA web site and taped a small version of the card system onto the bottom of the card box. I then only need to use one joker and my patter includes a bit about all the cards being so close to each other in the box that gossip travels quickly. I hold the joker up to my left ear and pretend to hear a bit of whispered gossip. While doing this I turn my head to the right, catching a glimpse of the bottom of the box. I do this with each subsequent card and even go so far as to carry on a conversation with the cards, something like, "ya don't say" or "ooh, that's some juicy gossip" complete with facial expressions. It seems that every card in the box knows something about everyone else's soul mate.

I give the spectator a choice of cards by saying, "The joker (or whatever card I'm working with at the time) says that the ace or two of hearts may know something. Which one should we hear from?" This way they are involved and think the cards are their choice. This routine has worked very well for me and this trick never fails to deliver. Someday I will go to the mnemonic system.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Good idea, the only problem is that you have to keep the card box pointed towards you.
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
How different is Deep Astonishment from the variation that's in the third art of astonishment?
jarrod
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of jarrod
Quote:
On 2003-06-16 11:49, montz wrote:
How different is Deep Astonishment from the variation that's in the third art of astonishment?

I don't have D.A., only AoA, so correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is the major diffs are...

1) D.A. the backs of the word cards are red, while the deck is blue

2) D.A. reveals them in a wallet, AoA reveals them in the deck box (which i like better I think)

-Jarrod
jcvelbar
View Profile
New user
South Florida
50 Posts

Profile of jcvelbar
That's a neat take on that trick.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I like the patter idea. I just made the mnemonic version (changed just a bit so I wouldn't have to order anything else) and it adds a lot of freedom to the effect. No more boxes, etc. are needed. But I would love to hear some more ideas on patter for this trick. Keep the ideas coming!

By the way, I basically use the joker as the gossip also.
Gipstein
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Gipstein
Though I have had sucess with DA, I find the "soulmate" part of the trick very weak. It seems just a way to get to the REAL magic and ending. Is it just me? I'd love to hear some routines that have dealt with this and ways of making this seem more worth the time it takes to get there.

Thanks

Todd
Magic is where dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Gipstein:

I don't have DA yet, but maybe if you precede DA with a multiphase routine where you predict the soul mate a few times using some of the well known methods (which obviously won't be disclosed here!) Smile

I don't know what method is used in DA (I'll know soon enough, from all the good reviews this trick has received I almost feel left out for not owning it!) but since it is a PH trick I'll assume that it is still quite convincing. If you did some strong mentalism before doing this trick, it may give you a nice routine that starts strong, dips slightly, then blows them away, making the ending even stronger.

a.
Logic Defied
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
Deep Astonishment is one of, if not the best routines, for making a strong emotional connection with someone. It seems so unbelievable when people see it. The first I saw it done this young woman said the word "kitchen" because she had a play kitchen as a child. When see saw the word on the back of the cards she almost started crying. It's rare for a trick to have that effect. Buy this trick. Learn it. Use it. It will never let you down.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I have been toying with it... This is what I came up with.

I give the spectator the deck and alow them to cut to a card face up. Once they get this card I have them 'name' the deck by writing any name or word on the card. After, they have done this, I do a face up ambitious card routine. My reason for having the card coming to the face is simply, whenever you call it name the card will come to the face. Then I proceed to show the cards in the wallet. It could be better...

Lee
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
To make the entire presentation of Deep Astonishment stronger, I recommend:

1. that the magician NOT be told the special word. Have it written down and burned or sealed in an envelope.

2. that the magician use his memory rather than cheat sheets.

3. that the "Soul Mate" effect be strengthened somehow, for example, by following the location of the soul mate card with a revealed prediction of the soul mate--found in the wallet instead of the (somewhat lame?) question mark card. First, the prediction is revealed which matches the Soul Mate card. Then, the grand finale' prediction of the special word is revealed.

I also recommend making the presentation clearly "Mental Magic" from start to finish.

alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 03:00, alleycat wrote:

1. that the magician NOT be told the special word. Have it written down and burned or sealed in an envelope.

alan

If you're not told the word, then how do you know what cards to pull? I'm getting confused!

Thanks!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
I'm sure before burning or sealing the word, you somehow obtain its identity. Therefore, making it appear you had no freakin' clue Smile...peace
-Rich
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
331 Posts

Profile of ellisd
What about using the thought transmitter?
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
Sam Griffin
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Griffin
Nice post Alan,
Cheers Smile
"When we are on stage, we are in the here and now."
"The eye is the window of your soul."

"The PERFORMER must BELIEVE in everything that takes place on the stage, only then will the AUDIENCE BELIEVE!
SmoothAM
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of SmoothAM
I plan to feature this in my debut show!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
If you are interested in Deep Astonishment, or the trick on which DA is based, "The Anything Deck", you can read more in Vol.3 of "Art of Astonishment", or you can go to this website:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/pass0397.htm

You have to answer an easy question, and then you can read the description of "The Anything Deck" and "Thoughts on 'The Anything Deck'".

Have fun!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 19:58, Reis O'Brien wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-09-28 03:00, alleycat wrote:

alan

If you're not told the word, then how do you know what cards to pull? I'm getting confused!

Thanks!

PEEK!
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com