The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Invisible Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I thought this would be cool.

After a couple of card effects, you shuffle the deck, and cut it. "You know, sometimes, when I shuffle, people think that I've done something fishy".

Hand the deck to a spec.

"You shuffle, and then give the deck a cut".

Ask spec 1 to hand the deck to spec 2.

"Now, just to be sure we're all satisfied, why don't you shuffle and cut the cards?"

Ask spec 2 to hand the deck to spec 3.

"Spread the cards on the table, and remove any one that you want. Have you got one? Good. Now turn it face up, and put it down. Is everyone happy with that card?

Should we switch it? Good"

Now reach into your pocket,

and remove a zip-lock bag.

Open it and remove a deck,

that is bound by two rubber bands.

"This bag has been in my pocket,

the whole time.

Did anyone see me reach into my pocket? Well, even if I did, I still couldn't get into this bag, through the rubber bands, replace the bands, and close the bag, again, without anyone noticing. Right?"

Obviously, this is when you would remove the rubber bands, open the box, remove the cards, and dramatically show that one card is reversed in the deck, and it matches the one that was just chosen by everyone.

Any opinions?
family/magic/music/life
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I do not use an Invisible deck myself, but if I did, this is an idea that I would consider using. Very good. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I like it! I’m also thinking that maybe you could put the deck in a locked box & have it sitting out before you start.

You could tell the spectators that you have a prediction in there. When you open it up you have an entire deck, so of course one of them has to be correct.

After they're done groaning, spread the cards & show that you reversed the same card. Smile

Thanx for the inspiration.

Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

But surely, it is stronger from an audience view point if they are allowed to just think of a card?

phillip
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
P.B.,

That may be true, but either way, the card needs to be revealed by the spectator, first. Why not add some color to the routine, involve more spectators (turning them into participants), and still have a great kicker? Remember, even if they merely think of a card, they still need to tell us what it is, before we blow their minds.
family/magic/music/life
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I do a thing where I form a "committee" to think of the card. The cased ID is already on the table. I ask the first member "Red or Black?", then keep narrowing it down, going from member to member, finally arriving at one card...with no possibility of a confederate, because they all affected the choice.

It involves everyone (up to 6 ppl...), the card is just "thought of", the deck is in sight the whole time, and I know whether the card is "odd or even" well in advance. (Once the suit is determined, that's the first question I ask.)

Color, suit, odd/even, hi/low, face/number (if hi), then, when it's narrowed to 2 or 3, the last person picks one of those.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:

On 2001-12-28 01:54, sbasscase wrote:

"This bag has been in my pocket,

the whole time.

Did anyone see me reach into my pocket? Well, even if I did, I still couldn't get into this bag, through the rubber bands, replace the bands, and close the bag, again, without anyone noticing. Right?"

Well, I don't usually tell the specs about the real deck. They can see for themselves that the deck is in a sealed container and has rubber bands around it.

I just think that when you use patter like that you are inviting the audience to start thinking more about how it is done than being entertained.

Other than that I think the routine is very good. Have fun with it.

Smile

Success is the journey, not the destination

Ray Banks
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Another gem from a member of the Cafe!

:bg:

D'lites Up! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

How about this:
Apparently throw out an invisible pack, get it shuffled etc. Someone takes a card (invisible) shows it to someone else who says the colour, another spectator anounces the suit, the spectator holding the invisible card picks it’s number. This spectator now seals it in an ordinary examined envelope, seals it shut themselves and signs their name in felt pen right across the front of the envelope (no switch).

A gesture or magical moment is created.

The envelope is cut or torn open and the selected card is removed from the envelope! (there is only one card in the envelope, it is unprepared and there is no equivocal)

What do you think?

This is in my cabaret act.

phillip Smile

Oh and I can tell you where to buy it (not from me) if you are interested.

phillip
Rob Wallis
View Profile
New user
The Other California
73 Posts

Profile of Rob Wallis
I once heard of an ID routine where the deck was gift-wrapped, with a bow around it, on the table throughout the act. Of course, people would wonder what was in the package, but the magi would wait until the right time to unwrap (or get the spec to do it) and reveal the thought-of card.

I also thought of sealing the deck in an envelope and mailing it to the house, ala a headline prediction.
Tig Wallis
The Comic Psychic
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
DoctorAmazo, and Rob Wallis,

I dig what both of you posted. Maybe adding your touches to my routine, will make it even better. I thank you for your creativity!
family/magic/music/life
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Doctor Amazo, the same thing could be done with a regular deck, rather than an invisible deck.

That way, the spectators could examine the deck afterwards (and, believe me, they will want to!) Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Peter,

How would you do this with a regular deck? Magician’s choice would be too inconsistent.
I wonder what your idea is.
family/magic/music/life
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
I use a pretty standard presentation getting the (invisible) deck shuffled, past to someone else, who fans the cards face down, for someone else to take a card etc.. with some good gags and interplay and talking about imagination... now a reality etc, and building the end quite dramatically. But I have been thinking of using a mobile phone as seen on John Lennahan.

p.s. Is anyone brave enough to go down the ’Derren Brown’ road (see Pure Effect)?

Joe
Bernard Lightfingers
View Profile
New user
Indiana
65 Posts

Profile of Bernard Lightfingers
wow! Nice! Smile
There is no life without death...everything has a shadow
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Peter,

I’m as curious as sbasscase!

Point us in the right direction, please...
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
To pbjones:

I am interested in where to find the effect you mention.

Thank you.

Gianni
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sbasscase, Dr. Amazo, et al.

Actually, a repeated magician's choice is exactly how it's done.

This appeared in a Linking Ring Parade of some years ago. (Sorry I can't narrow it down more than that or remember the name of the contributor.)

I, too, thought the inconsistencies would be apparent. But, when I tried it on a lay audience, I was amazed at the jaw-dropping reaction it got.

Believe it or not, it works. It shouldn't, but it does.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi all.

I perform a short version of the ambitious card, with a regular deck. The card is NOT signed.

First I find the card at the top, then at the bottom, then again at the top, twice, the second time with the "Giobbi" method to have the card popping at the top (it's not Giobbi's, but I have seen described there).

The climax is when it seems I fail to have the card at the bottom and at the top, and I say that magic is in the spectator's mind, not in the magician's hands... so please pass the shadow of your hand on the deck... and the card is found reversed in the pack (Ouellet method, as described in Close Up Illusion).

But the spectator's power is so strong...
invisible pack! Which I can use also as an out, just in case I really lost the card during manipulations...!!!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Stefano Mambretti

Almost Private Message: thanks Peter Marucci for your kindness... I was not able to write you for server's problems.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Here's an idea I had recently for a non-rough & smooth invisible deck effect where the spectator does NOT name the thought of card... Slightly different method.

EFFECT:
Performer gives the spec a deck and asks them to put it in their pocket, (or at least keep it safe). The performer then riffles through another deck of cards and asks the spec to look for one from inside and remember it. They are then asked to concentrate on their card and fan through the deck the performer gave them at the beginning of the effect. One card is face down...

The working is simple:
Use any mental riffle force with one deck.(Banachek writes on this in "Psychological Subtleties", as does Derren Brown in "Pure Effect". I'm sure plenty of other people have, too.)
BUT, know which card you are going to force before hand and have it reversed in deck two (the deck you give to the spectator.)

This effect is made all the more powerful due to the fact that

a) they have thought of a card and NOT named it, and

b) THEY fan through the deck; the magic happens in their own hands.

As has been said before, (and can be said again, as many times as anyone would care to mention it): magic in the spectator's hands is the most powerful type of close up magic one can perform.

Option B:

Option B can be used if you decide to use an impromptu riffle force where you do NOT know which card you are going to force until you force it. In this case, give the spec an invisible deck (I'm rhyming all over the place here today) and YOU would have to fan through them. The spec still hasn't named the card though, which I quite like.

I'm going to use it next time I get the chance. It would make a great opener.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.