The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: How to put together a show... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I've been trying to put together my shows and I guess I don't know if I'm doing a good job or if there should be some kind of structure to a show or what. Right now, I have a close up show, which is basically cards, coins, spongeballs and other standard closeup stuff with a bit of mentalism thrown in there just for fun. A lot of it seems to really flow together, but I was wondering if there is a resource for structuring a show. I'm going to start working on my stage or standup show soon and I don't even know where to start. Should it be just a bunch of tricks in a row, a theme, or what? I really haven't seen a lot of magician's "shows" so maybe that's why I really don't understand what I'm "supose" to do, but then again, maybe it's good because that way I don't copy anyone. Anyone have any ideas or resources on how to do this? Thanks
Dann
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I have found that if you start with the climax of the show or the big punch ending and then work backwards to the grab the audience opening.

A show needs a good grab the audience opening and then a good middle and a good end with hopefully a punch finish.

Make a list then edit it. A show should also have texture. Good stuff, funny stuff with humor, and then also something serious. But above all - all of it must be entertainment.

After you get this together you take it and do it at least 200 times in front of an audience and let the audience help you edit the show. Take out what they do not like and keep in what they do.

Then you will be on the road to a successful show that will make you money.

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Open your show with short, easy to comprehend card tricks like Cross Twist by Paul Harris. Then do your more lengthy tricks in the middle of your show when the audience are more relaxed and receptive to you. Interweave some non-card routines in yor show so as not to bore the audience with all cards. When you finish your routine finish it with a big trick with a climatic effect like Ambitious Cards with or without the option of the Holey Ambition by Dave Forrest. Or maybe you can do Macdonald's Aces or Card on Ceiling.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Darwin Ortiz has some great thoughts on show structure (especially for close-up workers) in his book, "Strong Magic." I've heard that this book is out of print, but you should be able to round up a copy on a magic auction site or on eBay.

Speaking of which, Ortiz will be doing a close-up performance and lecture in Bristol, VA this June at the Twin City Magic Convention. Should be a good one.

Good luck on putting together your show!

Jeff Wampler
http://www.twincityconvention.com
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Beaten to the punch.

darwin does indeed have a chapter in his book "strong magic" (chapter 3) which discusses putting an act together, which is worth a read.

The book is back in print, though I'm sure in a limited number.

Most magic philosophy books discuss the act in some form or another.

As far as a "what your supposed to do", if you stay true to your character (again, darwin's book speaks about this, and Eugene Burger has several books and pamphlets on it.) Your act will flow.
Michael Close talks about how getting into and out of a trick is almost as important as the trick itself (See his workers books for more). Once you put some thought into this you'll find that your show will have that "flow" your looking for.

A mistake a lot of people make is that they figure out a great routine for a great trick, do it, and when they've finished theres a pause in rythym which makes the show feel fragmented.

As far as meterial goes, Ive found a good place to start is to list the effects that your considering.
you'll find some go well together as well as some are stronger then others. You can use this to figure out both the material your show will feature and a general order (obviusly this order is not set in stone, as working will tell you what to change.)

I also agree, to an extent, with Brianclementsvatua. I wouldnt use a card trick to begin though, but something simple (not easy. simple. again, look at Eugene Burgers body of work for some interesting thoughts on this.) and visual.
Cut and restorn, tabery, micheal Ammars fireball (i love this one. I may be getting the name wrong. maybe its called the comet. He did it on late night for johny carson. pm me for more info on it) anything that shows them your worth watching without having to ask them to just have faith in you an come up and help.

once they've seen yuor good, they shouldnt have a problem sitting thorugh some longer, more complicated routines as well as being willing to help.

remember though, make youtr show as direct as possible. jsut because youve won them over with some great stuff doesn't mean you can do what you want after. they will continue to judge you as your show progresses, so don't follow up card in lemon and invisible deck with something not as impressive and more conveluded. like korts 21 card trick. (sorry kort)
;)

hope this helps and good luck!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
I agree with JeffWampler. I got Strong Magic alittle while ago, and after I skimmed the book I went straight to the routining section. Darwin has many ideas on openers, builders, and closers that are very good.

I am starting to apply some of the ideas to my own magic. I think Strong Magic is a good book to get, but there is just so many areas that it covers.