The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Variation on Prof's Nightmare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I came up with this back in '87 or '88 to do at a local IBM meeting, but for one reason or another I didn't perform it, and I haven't done a thing with it since.

Basically, it was a story about when I volunteered at a local community theatre. One day I walked in and the technical director handed me three short chains of different lenghts, along with a blueprint showing three lanterns hanging at different heights. Then he showed me where the lanterns were and told me to go hang them.

When I went to hang them I ran into the set designer, who told me the lanterns wanted to hang at the same height, which is why the chains were the same length. He then unfolded the blueprint and showed me that they were indeed the same length.

So I went back to the tech director and said, hey, what's up with this? So of course he showed me the chains were different lengths again, and of course the blueprint agreed. I don't remember where the story went after this.

I used lightweight dog chain, and each one had a small split ring (like we use for keys) on each end.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27314 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nice, by extension ... what about walking three dogs, I big one, a little one...

But when you let your young child walk the dogs, they need the chains/leashes the same length.

Here is one that occurred watching a child learn the routine. Imagine if you will, the rope ends made into larger aglets, and using flat ropes. The young magician announces that since starting to learn magic, they're having a problem with their shoelaces. Taking out THREE GIANT LACES. Was thinking that is really absurd and should get a laugh to start the routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here