The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: What inspires you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Static
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Static
What inspires you guys for patter on a trick? Know a bunch of tricks, but I want good patter. What do you guys relate the tricks to? I want to polish my routine, so that's what Im shooting for. Thanks guys!
Signature
View Profile
New user
Austria->Vienna
45 Posts

Profile of Signature
I get inspired......dont know really how to write this but when I need some inspirationi usually take some time and go into my practice room^^

The practice room itself looks like an empty room with a simple table standing inside
it and a chouch
one wall is just mirror and the other 3 walls are kind of a jungle*lol*
A few years ago I found at a local art shop theese big poster 4 walls showing lots of trees and beautiful landscape so I piked some up
next to the chouch is a little cdplayer!
I just press play and sit down playing around with maybe 2 or 3 effekts that I'm working on and that gets me into a deep relaxation and I get into a creative phase
After I get past that stage of play and fun I just go down my act top to bottom witout stopping!
Afterwards some really hard practiceing and then just again playing and in that last playstage I get many really cool ideas and If I got the time to work them out I'll do it , and if not^^ I just write them down and work them later

that's it basically^^

'Greets
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
I use different types of patter. When I walk up to a couple(boyfriend & girlfriend) I will do a Queen and King trick where the patter will be about romance or something to that nature. It depends on where I'm at and what the environment is for my patter. If I'm in a loud place such as a club, it's easy on me because I won't use patter because chances are they won't hear me anyways. So it all depends on what trick it is and who I'm performing it for!
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
I have three methods that inspire me. First, I watch people interact wherever I am. I look at mundane things and then I try to picture what magic effect might fit in. Then I already have the story and just work on personalizing it. The second place is listening to music and the flow. I imagine what effects will fit and what patter will work and then practice it. Finally, it comes from previous shows. I listen to what the audience likes. If they respond well to a piece I leave it in. I try to put in a new piece every so often and then listen.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27314 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Patter? I go with presentation and script.

One can find all sorts of stories in our literature and in life.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
What inspires me...hmmm...all the ad's in a magic catalog, I read those things and say to myself...self...you can do any of these magic tricks just use your imagination.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Marijuana.... I aint saying it inspires me to accomplish things in my life.. I aint saying I live for it.. I aint saying its what's right... this post will probably get erased..But I find I come up with my best magic concepts when I am stoned.. I am defenitaly not encouraging anyone to do or try it, but ALL of my "signature" pieces I came up with with a little help from Dr Greenthumb... sorry but I had to share.. Its not that frowned upon here in Canada... again.. I apologize for this post..Smile
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
LOL! That's hilarious!!! I myself just have a couple beers and go to town with my beloved deck of cards...*hic*...

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27314 Posts

Eric there are cheaper and safer ways to get "there".
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Adrenaline, for one.

Take what you say as what you are saying. Make it a facet of the work. Sometimes it is what you are not saying, too.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Cheaper and safer ways??
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Static,

I find keeping a notebook helps. Ideas get grafted onto each other in those fuggy pages, so when I open it up, I never know what I might find.

As for the specific things that inspire me, more often than not, I encounter them outside of magic.

What kind of things excite you? What would you like to say?

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

P.S. One of things I sporadically remind myself of is this:

'The worse thing you create is better than the best thing you don't.'

(That's why writers roll their eyes when people tell them, 'I've got this great idea for a book. You write it and we'll split the money 50/50.')
-- QCiC --
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Still looking for the safer and cheaper ways...........
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Getting on my motorcycle and putting 3 or 4 hundred miles of highway underneath me. The solitude in the midst of everything helps put a perspective on whatever I might have been working on. Plus you get to see people doing the strangest things in their four wheel "cages". Enough for a complete comedy act. Just have to remember that those people doing strange things aren't paying attention to you while they do them.

Sammy the Kid
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27314 Posts

A few cheaper and safer ways...

Staying up too late and then watching a TV show believing whatever they show you... it helps if you interpret the commercials as a subplot of the show. Even more fun to do this on a "News" network, when you see the cycles happen, you can believe its a NEW event, and things are ...

Take the text/posts here at the café and read a few in different threads, then let the words float around and strain the soup for interesting phrases. Take those phrases and see if they apply to some other random posts.

Listen to conversations at work. Just the snip-its. People say the most amazing things.

Take the next five things you touch (objects not body parts please) and put them in a box and see what they suggest.

Imagine whatever object is right in front of you were to become context appropriate for whatever view or picture you gaze at next. How did it get there, and what would need to change for it to be congruent? Better yet, why would someone else put it there as is?

Just a few off the top of my head.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
VERY good ideas!!! I am impressed...
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
I just use everyday life as inspiration. Also people. The funny things they do, even rediculous things. Insparation is simply in the world around us.
:coffee:
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Physics. Mathematics. The occult.
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?