The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Straightjacket escape with a twist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
I have no idea if this has ever been done:

Colour changing straight jacket escape (kind of a comedy escape)

Open a wardrobe, inside are a selection of straight jackets of different colours (this should get a chuckle from the audience) get a couple of very big guys to choose one and strap you in. Up pops the screen (I suppose you could do this under a sheet or something so people see you thrashing about) X minutes later you shout "I seem to be having a problem here" walk out and you are wearing a different coloured straight jacket. Same theme could be done with a colour changing rope tie escape. The hardest part would be putting on a different straight jacket or rope.

I do have a very simple idea on how this could be achieved. Talk to me personally about my thoughts on this if you want to know

What do you think, has anyone done this before?

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Kris

It is pretty easy to put a gimmicked straitjacket on by yourself. I did a gig for a punk band where I entered the stage in a jacket during their new single and thrashed about getting it off during the song. I went over BIG! 3000 crazy punks were screaming like girls!!!

Anyway, the roady who was going to put me in it backstage vanished somewhere drunk so I had to do it myself. I just did it all up pretty tight then pulled the whole thing on over my head, did up the crotch strap and crossed my arms last. No problems Smile

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Dying a SJ may be a bit of a problem.

The standard everyday gimmicked SJ has non removeable leather straps. This may be a problem as it could mess up the straps. Especially the "special" one (think about it) Smile

The Cannon's make one with removable straps.
Duncan can the one's be removed from a De-Val?

Another idea is get straped into one (say Humane without crotch strap) and walk out in a Posey without crotch strap.

I like the rope tie idea. It would fit in nice with the Mercenary 80 Rope Tie coming out in my manuscript.

I have never heard of it being done so it might very well be original.

Great idea.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Shawn feel free to use it in your manuscript if you wish. A tiny credit in 6 point text will be sufficient Smile

I like the idea with the humane underneath. However I don't think the effect would be so visual. But better if you don't want the audience to think you just have a special colour changing jacket I suppose.

As to the dye process I don't know if the leather would take up the dye. If it does it might be possible to carefully boot polish the strap back to colour. A bespoke jacket is probably cost inhibitive.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi X

You said...

"The Cannon's make one with removeable straps. Duncan can the one's be removed from a De-Val?"

Yep. Mine came with straps and I took them off no problem. I replaced every one within a week of getting it! The stiching unpicked pretty easily with no noticable marks. I reckon the straps on most jackets could be removed or replaced to be honest. Just take care and work slow.

What about having the jacket put on over a tee shirt or some other clothing, and coming out with the clothing on top but you still totally strapped up?

Hope this helps

Smile

Just a thought. If you wanted to dye a straitjacket you probably wouldn't need to remove the straps first anyway. Just use cold dye and cover the straps with batik/resistence wax (most craft shops will have it, It is often used to make patterns in tie-dye). This just washes off in a normal 30 degree wash afterwards.

:handcuffs:

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I like this idea, kind of a play on being handcuffed and winding up with someone elses jacket on.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.