The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Kennedy Mystery Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I love Tommy Wonder's handling for the card-to-box, but I've never been able to locate one that suited my needs (small, hinged, flip-lid). Anyone know where to find one?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I too prefer the Tommy Wonder version. Jamy Ian Swiss and Paul Green also have versions.

I always thought the Kennedy box looked weird.

Not to spoil everyones fun (and I'm sure I won't), but I think the idea of the three boxes is over doing it. It focuses too much attention on the boxes. And now you have three gimmicks on the table. And I really don't think you're gaining much by this.

What's amazing is what's inside the box, not the fact that they also picked that box (I think it makes the effect less direct, more confusing, and more expensive).

matt
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
I had to do a new effect for our magic club- wanted to do the mystery box but didn't want to shell out the money for it.
Came up with a signed card to packet trick wallet instead costs very little to make
PM me if you want to discuss
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
I agree 'debaser'- Mystery Box is amazing in itself! Why spend over $180 dollars to cluter your close-up box and fill your pockets and perhaps confuse the audience. If nothing else, it would draw away from the main impact that mystery box creates.

Simplicity makes magic tricks more meaningful and stronger.
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Taking out three boxes, then the two decks of cards...

having one box selected... the other two shown empty...

and the card (please use the OTHER colored back ) inside the box is just perfect.

And though far from my aesthetic of using humble props... this is quite tempting.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
music
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of music
I have to agree, 3 boxes is over doing it. I was always taught -- K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid)!
Therfeore I have to go with Tommy Wonders card box.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I'll go out on a limb.
Next to the box, have a card folded up in a paper clip.
Have the spectator choose the card or the box.
On the card, simply write your card is in BOX!
If they pick the card, perform paperclipped or let them pick up the card, remove the clip and read what it says
You open the box. If they pick the box, proceed as normal.
Can the box be shown empty before performing the trick?
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
You could use 3 different coloured decks I suppose over here in the Uk we just got hold of the green backed Bikes so I've been coming up with some enviromentally friendly (green) magic lol

Tom
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2003-02-28 00:59, marko wrote:
I love Tommy Wonder's handling for the card-to-box, but I've never been able to locate one that suited my needs (small, hinged, flip-lid). Anyone know where to find one?

I just made it out of a regular velvet type ring boxes that rings come in normally now. If you take appart the lining in the box, you can snap off the spring (watch your eyes though) that makes the ring box have that snapping action to it. To rebuild the interior of the box (as it does get ruined when removing the spring) I took black paper and put it into the bottom of the box. The paper stays there because I took double sided tape to anchor the thread that is attached to the card. I then took the top lining of the box, cut it up so it wouldn't be attatched to the bottom lining, and glued it into the top of the box. Looks perfect. BUT, you don't even need the ring box. I personally haven't even been using it. I found at the Restaurant Quiznos (the sub sandwhich place) that they are selling mints (makes you wonder why they need to sell you them) that come in a box that is perfect for this trick. It has a lid on it, is small, and even has enough room for a card that is folded in fourths (though I still prefer to fold it into 8ths). I also improved the fold by breaking down the steps. I first do a regular mercury card fold, then transfer the card to the right fingers and fold it as I roll up my sleeves. This makes the fold much quicker and doesn't require the pressure that Tommy's fold does. It helps if you start the last fold on the corner edge of the deck before it is transfered into the right hand.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I think it's a really interesting idea.
It would definitely be worth playing with.
However, I stopped performing the mystery box with I learned Jay Sankey's
paperclipped.
It has a lot more impact because the card is laying where everyone can see it
until their signed card is produced from the paperclip.
Trust me, it beats the mystery box in mystery and impact.
Daniel Faith