The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Performing for folks with autism (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I was just asked to perform at a sort of care center for folks with disabilities, it's a birthday
party for an adult with autism, there will be a couple dozen other guests with similar disabilities,
and their caretakers.

They called about a stand up show, but I suggested close up, so that I can focus on small groups
as opposed to the whole crowd, no idea if that was the right call or not.

So to folks more experienced with autism, do you have any tips for Performing for this event?
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1183 Posts

Profile of Russo
Close up should be fine- it's their attention you would like to watch out for and keep, which usually is slow. So go SLOW an EASY. Be lightly surprised yourself - NOT big you , see what I can do. We did a Show for some cerebral palsy kids once, slow and easy. Then a bus load of clowns (?) drove up. The Clowns (?) jumped out of the Bus ahhhhhhhh - and the kids needed every Nurse and Aid to calm the kids down. So look up, learn what you can about who your entertaining. Best to you.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks russo, I'll keep that in mind.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Do not be influenced by the immediate response you get from an effect - or that of any 'helpers' there either.

Performances with the "Vanishing Wheelchair Project" that included performances by and for persons with various disabilities
showed that audiences response can be very different from that or you traditional audiences.
Avoid any sucker type effects or ones involving dexterity not easy for observers.

Ring on Rope effects received the largest immediate response while card tricks were worthless.

But, there are different levels of autism included some at genius level. Some have other disabilities too.
As this is at an institution or center, check with administrations as to past performance success.

Treat adults as such and make no assumptions about cognitive level. Yes, slow and specific is good, but do not dummy down language.

Some organizations have booklets available on appropriate and respectful language and actions for persons with disabilities.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Also, where on the autism spectrum will your audience be? My granddaughter is soon to be 7, just now getting verbal and her attention span varies.
From the booker, get the details and then do some research about those details. You may find that they will enjoy magical games (for lack of better term) than the magical wow factor we hope to share
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On May 6, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
You may find that they will enjoy magical games (for lack of better term) than the magical wow factor we hope to share

Yes. At one session where I was asked to perform some magic for a group of six young folk with both physical and learning disabilities,
I instead taught each how to perform magic trick for their parents. The staff decided that there show be a little show for other persons in the facility too.
So, at 4PM there was an audience of about twenty people. One girl said her fingers were too tired and asked if she could sing a song instead.

I have never seen so many adults cry before. The girl sang a strange song made up of lines from several recognizable ones that somehow worked.
Yup, magic works as long as we don't try and cram it into a box.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On May 6, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
Also, where on the autism spectrum will your audience be?

Although I don't know specifically, this is a care center, and the booker said "if you throw a
balloon in the air, they will be entertained" so that might give some idea.

Thanks for all the tips, specifically on ring and rope. A version is in my stand up show, might as well
do it close up.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Many good points made already by others, but I will add. While you may have to make a few adjustments to the show, the one thing you don’t want to do is talk down to the audience as if they can’t understand the adult talk. Much like you would never talk baby talk in a show to kids regardless of their age. I'm sure you already know this but it never hurts to be reminded.

I think you will be surprised at how great an audience like this can be. Do let us know how it went.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Having done quite a few Autism events, as well as performances for the blind, deaf, mentally challenged and even the Special Olympics for decades, it is important to understand the dynamics of the booking performance including your audience (residence/guests. staff, etc.) and with Autism understanding exactly the range of the spectrum and the variance. These, plus the age of your audience will be important.

Also very important (I can not stress this enough) is the expectation of the person and venue hiring you. I think you made a huge mistake trying to take this down to a closeup booking rather than a stage performance, which they actually asked for. Stop thinking you know better. The person hiring you understands the dynamics of the booking far more than you, as well as the expectation they're and they audience will have and how they will respond.

There are some very important elements to doing a closeup show that are not very inviting and will actually work against you. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that.

I agree to stay away from card tricks and go with things that play bigger and easier to see, understand, and comprehend. Understand some, depending where they are on the spectrum, may be very smart and aware. Same for the staff that know the residents and attendees.

Best of luck!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I too think that stand-up would be a better choice. Close-up may still work if you can group a few together.
But going one on one is not a good idea.

Tom
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Many good points here. I agree with Tom Boleware that standup is a better choice. We have done many special needs audiences and they can be one of the best of audiences. Remember to be flexible and the staff can give you some guidance as well.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did you pick close up because you were more comfortable or they would be? My belief if that you thought you were making it easier on you.

Stage would probably have been the better choice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks for all the input, it's appreciated.

The good news on the close up vs stage is that at the time of booking we agreed that
I could pivot based on the room when I get there.

I will be bringing all my equipment, and based on the responses here will probably pivot
to stand up, but I'll make the determination on the day. (Thursday)

As for why I took the gig at all, they sounded like they were having trouble finding entertainment,
(one of those things that happen when you wait to the last week) I'm not doing anything on
Thursday anyway.

As for why I suggested close up, my judgement was telling me it was the right move,
as has been established, my judgement should be ignored.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, Fedora wrote:
As for why I suggested close up, my judgement was telling me it was the right move,

I, myself, would like to probe into this more. As been demonstrated here you have done this before. Why?

This leads me to believe you do not understand the wants, needs, and interests of the inquiring client, and more importantly the way these bookers, their staffs, and the audiences see and perceive the differences. Again, this seems like more operating under your own magician-based thinking and preferences.

People think of entertainment as "a show." When they want to book or hire a performer they are envisioning, wanting and expecting "a show." A (stage) show has much greater perceived value to them in almost every way. So when they are envisioning their event they are willing to go to the expense of paying for a professional entertainer to perform this show for their audience. They see it as a feature or main component of their event (actual and envisioned.) Many other elements of their event may be planned around this entertainment (show.)

Closeup is not perceived as "a show." It is seen as an enhancement or an attraction at best, they do not see it as entertainment or a show. They do not see it as the same value.

For you to constantly take their vision and expectation down to just an enhancement at their event is essentially telling them their vision and expectations are wrong and this is what they actually need. It is not. It changes and in many cases lessens their expectations and the overall dynamics of their event.

As a professional they are coming to you for your professional knowledge and experience and trusting what you say as best for their vision and event. I can't imagine making them change this on your behalf while giving up one of the main dynamics they wanted and were expecting.

Now the exception to this is for the very-well established in their performance markets that are known specifically for closeup. This is typically the upper 15-20% of the top professionals. They have the reputation for closeup, known for closeup, and are often contacted and booked for those that are already planning a closeup expectation, such as in top corporate markets, magic venues (often for other magicians), and in a handful of other specific venues.

Plus you are taking a collective audience experience and dynamic of a stage/standup show and changing it to many smaller and individual, mini-performances where individual aspects are more prominent, especially with an event with Autism, disabilities, disabled or an elderly audence, creating difference performance dynamics and a much harder performance situation. Plus you are also taking away the happy and proud spotlight moments as when someone is featured on stage in a performance in front of their peers, the staff and management which often is very memorable and rewarding to those you use in your show. They do not get this from closeup. This is just one example of many things from the booker and audience's perspective and dynamic between a stage show and strolling or closeup. All this is what you are stripping away by recommending closeup.

This appears to me you not understanding all of these performance dynamics, elements, thinking and operating from an client and audience perspective, and letting your own personal preference and opinions into your business operations.

Also, if it is just a week out and appears they are having trouble finding entertainment you must strongly consider the whys and considerations of this. The very surface perception of "they need an entertainer and I am open on Thursday" is a very shallow, amateur perspective and mindset. In reality you must first ask yourself "am I qualified to perform for this event?" "Is this something I can do confidently?" "Can I do this without messing up their event or expectation?" These and other qualifying questions must be asked before considering the event.

This also makes me question the performance material you will be using. Big, easy to see, hear and follow, easy to understand, with elements of fun, laughter, suspense and wonder for the entire audience is what you should be focusing on, again not your own personal preferences.

I hope it goes well for you and especially them. This goes back to the "Responsibility" thread I started a few weeks ago here that was pretty much ignored. This is a prime example of where the importance of this comes into what we do.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, Fedora wrote:

The good news on the close up vs stage is that at the time of booking we agreed that
I could pivot based on the room when I get there.

I will be bringing all my equipment, and based on the responses here will probably pivot
to stand up, but I'll make the determination on the day. (Thursday)

As for why I took the gig at all, they sounded like they were having trouble finding entertainment,
(one of those things that happen when you wait to the last week) I'm not doing anything on
Thursday anyway.

It's good to see you going prepared. One of the problems I personally see with the close-up in a show like this is the shout-outs, laughs and such could be a distraction to the others and cause them to feel left out.

Remember, upsetting someone when its one on one is personal. When it's in a group, it was only that one person. The rest will usually cover for you in a group, and they can shut a heckler down for you in a heartbeat.

If it goes even fairly well, be prepared to see one of the most appreciative audiences you’ve had.

You Got This.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody in this crowd will be shutting down any hecklers. The solution is just not to upset anyone I guess. That should be the least of their expectation for the money.

But if you made this decision based on it making the event easier for you this may be something you want to examine. Your business should be about the client and if you can not do this then you shouldn’t take the money. Lots of folks would have trouble with this type of event so it isn’t a major problem.

Performers often take gigs because they need money and client needs are lost in the equation. This isn’t great. Making the determination on that day kind of shows a lack of experience. What will help you make that determination on the day? Their needs or yours?

I am asking here, not making any assumptions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Maybe I should have explained ‘heckler’ in this case as being someone overly excited and can’t stop talking. It happens.

Also, It certainly sounds to me like he has enough experience to try new things. Our best experience comes from our own experiences. Sitting earns you zero experience. He’s asking and that says a lot.

Anyway, I wish him the best with it.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually he is showing he has no experience at all with these things. None, zero. Trying new things at the expense of others who pay a professional to work is in no way ok.

I am sorry I can only read the words you write and you wrote heckler. Not my fault.

Also if you have ever done these events attention span is more the issue. Often they have trouble focusing on things that do not directly interest them.

If you are performing for a variety of disabilities it will not be easy because what helps one may not help another.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks for the continued concern.

To the question of how I will make the determination, it will be based
on my ability to get the room focused on one thing simultaneously. if
I can get the majority to look my way, then stand up shouldn't be a
problem, if everyone is in their own groups, then I'll lean to close up.

Or at least that was my thinking at time of booking.

To clarify, up to now I have never suggested a change of what the caller
contacting me for, this would be the first time, this particular person,
although calling for stand up, didn't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

The reason for taking the gig has nothing to do with the money, I offered them the
lowest fee I have, which I believe mindpro knows and can verify Isn't much.

They really wanted magic, and I've never done a care center, rather I'm qualified
or not I'll find out Thursday afternoon, and you'll hear about Thursday evening,
I believe the story is going to be interesting one way or the other.

Mindpro brought up an interesting point, that a volunteer gets special attention
in a stand up show, does anyone have tips in relation to volunteer selection
and management in this regard?
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
If you are performing for a variety of disabilities it will not be easy because what helps one may not help another.

This was the main thinking for suggesting close up, being able to switch approaches
on the fly.