The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Things You Now Know As A Professional That You Wish You Knew When Just Beginning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
In Fedora's thread he so courteously shared his journey in trying to network with an area business. I say network because that's all it really is, as it could've been so much more of a B2B presentation, discussion, proposal or joint-venture.

In one of my posts I mentioned something I know now that I wish someone had told me or that I had know back when I was just starting out. Now I'm strictly talking about entertainment business here, not life lessons (that can be another thread) or personal or spiritual beliefs. Please lets keep this focused on learning the business of entertainment, entertainment business operations, and so on.

While I believe I know how this thread is going to go, as you can see with some of the current threads and terrible perceptions and misinformation, this is badly needed. Plus everyone (professional and semi-professional performers) each has these things and I'm hoping they are willing to share.

I'm my live training events before the pandemic this was one of the late afternoon sessions I'd have, and in the event reviews from attendees it was one of the things mentioned as a great takeaway in addition to my curriculum.

I already mentioned in the other thread my two offered would be:
1. Learning in sequential order
2. Understanding & Operating as a professional

Learning in sequential order is for several reasons. First and foremost it breaks things down in a step-by-step process. I hear from guys and gals all the time "I'm so confused, there's so much to do, I don't know what to do first?" Sequential learning eliminates this. it also prevents overwhelm. Many feel there is so much to learn and do and soon it becomes overwhelming and frustrating. Sequential learning manages all of this, especially when part of a structured system. It makes everything easier, more clearly understood, especially the whats and whys, and allows for much quicker progress and comprehension. This is really the only way to learn. If you are not doing this you are operating inefficiently and making mistakes and will have to do things over again at least once if not many times as you progress.

Understanding And Operating As A Professional is a must for any type of real success. And I mean success in your performance, business operations, bookings, return bookings, relationships, - literally in all areas. Many people only see or understand "professionalism" on a basic or surface level. This isn't true professionalism. It should be present in all areas. This directly represents you in everything in every way. In my book "50 Things Working Against And Missing From Most Entertainer’s Businesses - Entertainment Business Operations Mistakes, Mishaps & Misconceptions" many of these and the reasons why and how they are necessary are detailed. It is a resource solely for entertainment business operations and "professionalism" is covered throughout. I also have a 50-point definition of what a true professional is in entertainment business in another of my resources. If you have these refer back to these often, as most do.

I can not say enough about these two things. I truly wish I knew about AND understood these from the beginning as it would have been both a game changer for my business (from having to learn things the hard way, slow progression, no positioning) and in life as a whole.

Please share your lessons. I also hope any amateurs, newbies, beginners, or those even thinking of performing for profit keep a truly honest and open mind and not only accept the things offered with only the best of intentions as a helpful and beneficial tool, but also in the proper context to gain the most out of this.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Although I'm probably going to avoid posting in this thread,
because if I start listing my mistakes it will go on for ten
pages, I do have one lesson.

After making a booking, remember to follow-up at least a week
before the date, and again the day before.

You don't want to get there and find out they cancelled, and you're
the guy they didn't bother to tell.

I wish I knew this.

I look forward to any stories folks have to share.